Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

buy grass fed dairy products, and grass fed red meat if you want to eat meat.
    very good for your teeth,for one thing.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      buy grass fed dairy products, and grass fed red meat if you want to eat meat.
      very good for your teeth,for one thing.
      But I only buy from the supermarkets and Turkish shops

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

What's a pea-shooter in this context, and what is its relation to a rocket-launcher btw? (Ask a stupid question )

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          What's a pea-shooter in this context, and what is its relation to a rocket-launcher btw? (Ask a stupid question )
          Pea shoots. Delicious. Alternative/compliment to rocket.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Pea shoots. Delicious. Alternative/compliment to rocket.
            Thanks!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Thanks!
              Yes, the Coop has now started (along with, I imagine, most supermarkets) to stock packs of pea shoots which look like slightly lighter watercress. I read up on them in case they were just a middleclass fad, but it seems that young shoots have much more nutritional value because (I don't need to remember the exact reason as long as the source of info seems reliable). They also have a different, pea-like taste which makes a change from peppery rocket or watercress.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Yes, the Coop has now started (along with, I imagine, most supermarkets) to stock packs of pea shoots which look like slightly lighter watercress. I read up on them in case they were just a middleclass fad, but it seems that young shoots have much more nutritional value because (I don't need to remember the exact reason as long as the source of info seems reliable). They also have a different, pea-like taste which makes a change from peppery rocket or watercress.
                I'll look out for them next time in Upper Norwood St Sprees - thanks!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Morrisons have had them for yonks. They are certainly not middle class. Quite a strong taste. Reading up on food rather than just buying it and shoving it down yer gullet, might be middle class. Anyway, class and food is all topsy-turvy now. Back in the day, we only had polenta and butter when we were feeling the pinch and ox tail was slumming it. Although I suppose we can still point at people who buy broken biscuits and look down on them.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

There are all sorts of reasons why people profess to be vegetarian, some of which make sense, some don't. But those who claim to be "strict vegetarians", I don't understand. If you're "strict" about it, you become a vegan. I was even (very briefly and for practical reasons only) a fruitarian. But now I eat what I like, moderately, and with concerns about the issues involved.

But you're probably right - they meant vegan.
                    I'm surprised that you seem to think that only vegans would be concerned by the use of animal by products. I'm no vegetarian (or vegan) but I dislike any cruelty or unnecessary harm to animals, particularly when there are other available alternative materials which could be used. I hope and trust that I am not alone in this view.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                      I'm surprised that you seem to think that only vegans would be concerned by the use of animal by products. I'm no vegetarian (or vegan) but I dislike any cruelty or unnecessary harm to animals, particularly when there are other available alternative materials which could be used. I hope and trust that I am not alone in this view.
                      Does it make no difference if the byproduct is taken from a dead animal - not slaughtered for this product? It does matter to 'strict' vegans, though less strict ones will wear leather shoes on the assumption that animals are not bred, raised and fed for their leather, and that the alternative would be to dispose of it when the animal has been slaughtered or even died naturally. Even less strict vegans have been known to buy leather shoes from secondhand/recycling businesses.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                        Doesn't killng them so that you can eat them cause them harm?

And then, what harm in using the byproducts of your carnivorous lusts?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

I'll look out for them next time in Upper Norwood St Sprees - thanks!
                          St Sprees

Is s/he a relative of the other retail saint St Schmichael of Sparks, by any chance?

OG

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            I’ve been a pea-shooter for quite a few years.
                            So have I, as part of a voluntary project I'm involved with to mentor people who want to grow their own veg. I've developed various methods of growing them according to circumstance, and run demonstrations at events etc. The last one I did a few weeks ago proved somewhat challenging as the participants were dementia sufferers....
                            The flavour can be modified to a degree by controlling the amount of light the shoots get - a certain amount of etiolation makes for sweeter crisper shoots(which I personally prefer) which is useful for windowsill production in winter.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

How long do they take to shoot until harvestable, ooo? Does one buy a packet of ordinary peas (when available) to use?

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              So have I, as part of a voluntary project I'm involved with to mentor people who want to grow their own veg. I've developed various methods of growing them according to circumstance, and run demonstrations at events etc. The last one I did a few weeks ago proved somewhat challenging as the participants were dementia sufferers....
                              The flavour can be modified to a degree by controlling the amount of light the shoots get - a certain amount of etiolation makes for sweeter crisper shoots(which I personally prefer) which is useful for windowsill production in winter.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

The environmental damage caused by ruminants.
                                Which is not the same for all meat production. The feed lots of North America are worlds away from pastured livestock. I believe that some at least of the calculations for anti-meat purposes have been based on the assumption that all animals are managed the same way for the production of meat, which they are not. There is the totally industrial at one end dependent on intensively grown feed stuffs(mostly unsuited to the animal in question), high water consumption,climate controlled housing, chemical interventions, toxic and problematic waste products, and at the other totally free range as part of a near natural process with low inputs.

Comment

Working...
                                X