X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Aircraft noise

Often discussions about aircraft noise refer to the noise as they go overhead - which is a pain in some areas. In some locations the noise can also be painful if they are on the ground - I remember one hotel in San Diego which was right at the end of the runway (blast area) which became almost intolerable from 6am to 8am.

My current experiences are actually inside, rather than outside. One of my friends suggested that the Airbus 380 was a better plane to travel long distances in, and I have to say that having recently travelled in one for the first time, in retrospect I'd agree. The return journey (12+ hours) was in a 777-ER (300?) and that was so noisy that I couldn't cope with listening to any music at all, either from the in flight entertainment system, or from my own recently bought cheap tablet.

Partly this might have been because my seat was quite close to the port side engine (19A), but I don't think that was the only reason.

Other noisy aircraft I've been on include one helicopter (15-20 minutes of hell - even with ear plugs) and one (IIRC) MD90 - a plane type which I used to travel in quite frequently - but on that one I was seated right at the back, just below the LHS (port) engine. On that one the passenger sitting right next to the window was clearly in pain once the blast off occurred, and even took the used ear plugs which I happened to have with me. I apoligised for not having a new set of spare ones - but he seemed to prefer the infection risk to the noise. [Really airlines should provide free ear plugs, at least for passgengers in critical seats.] Apparently the MD90s used to be called "Euroblasters" in some circles, or so I was told.

I do wonder whether noise cancelling earphones would have made much difference on the last trip - it seemed extreme to me. My limited experience of noise cancelling earphones is that they can make an unpleasant experience more bearable. Usually I use earplugs, sometimes in addition to listening to music via headphones, but maybe it is time to consider buying a set of noise calling cans.

Externally the 380 seems to be one of the quietest planes around, despite its size - http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...p?f=3&t=447969

Here is what seems to me to be typical of the internal noise of a 777 - though some planes are worse than others.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Some 777s have been better than the last one I sat in. 5 minutes is bearable - but more than a few hours? I am surprised that cabin crew don't show up very clear hearing problems - but maybe they do.

Looks like Boeing don't care much - http://aviation.stackexchange.com/qu...300-er-compare

I'm with the person who wrote "I can tell you that in economy, the 777 noise was, in my opinion, almost unbearable. The A380 was almost silent. I have been on both on long haul to the uk, and their is a world of difference in the noise levels. Will never fly 777 again." I wasn't in economy, but it was still pretty bad.

Next time I try to book a long flight I'm going to really make efforts to avoid the 777s, and although it's a monster, the 380 does seem much better. I'm amazed it gets off the ground, but it seems OK.

Are there ways to get some peace from that incessant droning noise during your flight? Katia Moskvitch finds out.
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

What about the 787 Dreamliner? I found that quiet, and comfortable enough.
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... bring back the VC10, I say. Much my favourite aeroplane from the days when I did real travelling...

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... bring back the VC10, I say. Much my favourite aeroplane from the days when I did real travelling...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_VC10
        Sadly that was one plane I never got to go on. Similarly the Comets, though I did go on several Viscounts and a Britannia. It hardly ever ceases to amaze me that these things get off the ground. The first I flew on was a BAC 111 - which may have been before noise abatement was introduced at LHR, so it went off pretty fast. The A380 seems to lumber along the ground for a long while in comparison.

Seemingly as with cars, there are people like petrolheads who seem to like planes to make a noise - certainly outside - anyway. Gives them a sense of power I suppose. For me, I find the noise inside some planes dire, and I suspect the problems persist for hours or even days after travelling. The 380 was one of the best I've been on.

I have a sort of grim fascination with planes. For choice I wouldn't really go on them at all, but I'm amazed and impressed that they work when I do. All the faff at airports is getting more and more tedious too. I'm not actually sure whether my first flights had any X ray bag scanning either - but certainly compared with today getting in and out was very much quicker.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

I had certain responsibilities for minimising aircraft noise in my earlier years and can honestly say that the noise inside aircraft wasn't considered once.

From memory, a key issue is that to very significantly reduce external noise in the future passengers may not necessarily have the benefits of windows.

Comment

Working...
          X