• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Superstar Hairdos

Enviously regarding pictures of Donald Trump in the supplements made me marvel at the beautiful results achieved by those not limited in options because of their chosen career (school teacher, firefighter, nurse, etc).

I think 1970s footballers had some of the most beautiful hair ever. My schoolboy favourite was always Ralph Coates - even Bobby Charlton couldn’t get close to Ralph. But, although I remember John Dempsey very well from his playing days, it had escaped me as to how gorgeous his hair was.

Ralph’s hair was arguably even more splendid than Donald Trump’s.

But less practical ....

• ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Isn't Trump's coiff what gives the very phrase "a bad hair day" a bad name? Not that it would occur to me to describe him as a "superstar" (even though some of his more bizarre pronouncements are quite enough to make almost anyone exclaim "Jesus Christ")...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Enviously regarding pictures of Donald Trump in the supplements made me marvel at the beautiful results achieved by those not limited in options because of their chosen career (school teacher, firefighter, nurse, etc).

I think 1970s footballers had some of the most beautiful hair ever. My schoolboy favourite was always Ralph Coates - even Bobby Charlton couldn’t get close to Ralph. But, although I remember John Dempsey very well from his playing days, it had escaped me as to how gorgeous his hair was.

Ralph’s hair was arguably even more splendid than Donald Trump’s.

But less practical ....

Ralph Coates was my favourite chewing gum card. That was when he had a comb over and looked ten years older than anyone else. While I bought the chewing gum, I didn't ever chew gum as that was a bit down market. I put my money into it so that I could be involved in a community of chewing gum card collectors in the days when that was everybody.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        Ralph Coates was my favourite chewing gum card. That was when he had a comb over and looked ten years older than anyone else. While I bought the chewing gum, I didn't ever chew gum as that was a bit down market. I put my money into it so that I could be involved in a community of chewing gum card collectors in the days when that was everybody.
        As my Yorkshire-born mother used often to say: buy gum!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          As my Yorkshire-born mother used often to say: buy gum!
          I'll go to the foot of our stairs.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

I wanted to collect the cards, but my dad refused to give me the money he didn’t have to buy them. Cost me dear in the end. If I’d got the collecting out of my system in my formative years, I wouldn’t be collecting CDs and Apple products etc, in later life!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

I wanted to collect the cards, but my dad refused to give me the money he didn’t have to buy them. Cost me dear in the end. If I’d got the collecting out of my system in my formative years, I wouldn’t be collecting CDs and Apple products etc, in later life!

I'm not quite sure how I got the money. It was all I had at the time and I never completed the collection. The coin collections from petrol garages were easier because petrol had to be bought but I relied on relatives mainly as we didn't initially have a car. I was going to suggest Carmen Miranda - then I looked at the pictures and realised that she was very off topic in the way that Gertrude Shilling and The Cat in the Hat would be off topic so how about Albert Einstein who was probably a lousy footballer but could be a superstar of sorts?

Last edited by Lat-Literal; 22-11-16, 16:00.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... how about Albert Einstein who was probably a lousy footballer but could be a superstar of sorts?
                ... well, you could always go for Camus. Limited as a writer, inadequate as a philosopher, but brilliant as a goalie. Or so I'm told.

Albert Camus died 50 years ago this week. As goalkeepers go, he was a writer of near genius

And quite a cool dude -

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... well, you could always go for Camus. Limited as a writer, inadequate as a philosopher, but brilliant as a goalie. Or so I'm told.

Albert Camus died 50 years ago this week. As goalkeepers go, he was a writer of near genius

And quite a cool dude -

http://expresszine.com/wp-content/up...mus-images.jpg

Nobody could say that of David Icke -

"Icke didn’t actually have much of a footballing career – but he did spend a bit of time between the sticks for Coventy, Northampton and Hereford."
                  Last edited by Lat-Literal; 22-11-16, 16:27.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli didn’t always get the Barnet Fair right .....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

I thought that was a Trump event - a max wall.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        I thought that was a Trump event - a max wall.
                        That’s quite clever - you’re a wasted talent. Come over to our side.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

That’s quite clever - you’re a wasted talent. Come over to our side.
                          S_A is already on our side! I agree the first bit, though!

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

But he did get somethings right that I think it fair to suggest rather made up for that...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

"...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X