• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Robert Vaughn, 1932-2016, RIP

I've just heard about the death of Robert Vaughn, a fine polished actor who just fell short of super star status in a substantial career; The Magnificent Seven, (1960), Bullitt, (1968), The Towering Inferno,1974) and The Man from Uncle TV series, 1964-67, come instantly to mind. In turn, I also knew him personally when playing a bread & butter role in the TV series, The Protectors, (1972). He was a strongly focussed actor and, in two or three short scenes with him, he made instant eye contact which activates a script. Totally relaxed between takes, I learnt how astute he was in conserving his energy so that he could instantly pick-up a scene on the director's call of 'action'.
    RIP, Robert
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Very sad news - one of the very first actors I became aware of through UNCLE (older sister fancied David McCallum, so it was a fixture). One of those actors whose presence ensured at the very least a watchable programme - and Albie Stroller in Hustle was as perfect as ever. So different from the cold, steely Frank Flaherty in Washington Behind Closed Doors.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• hmvman
      • Mar 2007

RIP, indeed. The Man from UNCLE was required viewing for me and my peers in our extreme youth (9 or 10).

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
        RIP, indeed. The Man from UNCLE was required viewing for me and my peers in our extreme youth (9 or 10).
        Loved it, loved him...Ilya will be devastated. I remember getting one of these out of Woolies.

My pal worked with him when he was in BBC's Hustle and said he was a very fine guy indeed.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Thursday evenings was always Top of the Pops followed by the Man from U-N-C-L-E!
          What a great actor and latterly a key piece in the Hustle jigsaw.
          RIP Robert.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

The Last of The Magnificent Seven

Robert Vaughn, maybe better know as Napoleon Solo. Good old days. RIP
            Debonair actor who was the last survivor of the Magnificent Seven.

[ed.]
            Thank you, Host.

I am glad to know that others enjoyed the series too. It wasn’t exactly an ‘iconic’ sort of programme but, I thought then, it was subtly sophisticated unlike James Bond.
            Last edited by doversoul1; 12-11-16, 17:07.

Comment

Working...
            X