X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

TV Licence updating online - alert

Last November I went for the option of online license updating. On checking my online bank accounts yesterday, I was very shocked to note that my licence update debit for 2016-7 had been carried out automatically, without prior notice by the licensing authority of any kind or my authorisation. No prior statement had been issued to me that this would now be my default method of renewal, nor was this explained in the original email recommending renewal in this way. The result put me £100 quid in "the red", for which I shall now in all probability be fined.

I thought people here might appreciate being forewarned about this
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

I pay by roughly 'monthly' direct debit and have not noticed any problem. (But thanks for posting.)

Presumably it would be worth checking the nature of the contract you entered into which would be, I assume, in an email or letter at the beginning of the first licensing period.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

This has happened to me to with regards to my RAC renewal. Iirc, there's a clause in the contract which allows it to be collected without warning unless you stop it with sufficient notice! They would argue that you should have been aware of this and recorded it in, say, a diary to remind yourself.

As KB points out, pay monthly.

I do sympathise.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Last November I went for the option of online license updating. On checking my online bank accounts yesterday, I was very shocked to note that my licence update debit for 2016-7 had been carried out automatically, without prior notice by the licensing authority of any kind or my authorisation. No prior statement had been issued to me that this would now be my default method of renewal, nor was this explained in the original email recommending renewal in this way. The result put me £100 quid in "the red", for which I shall now in all probability be fined.

I thought people here might appreciate being forewarned about this
        Direct Debit is something that I wouldn't touch with or even without a barge pole. I try to pay all of my regular commitments by credit card (which means no bank charges). Some are monthly on a variable CCA (Continuous Card Authority) and a few like the TV licenc are done annually, for which I receive a reminder to go online and process it manually.

You should have had some kind of statement that your DD comes off automatically, though.
        Last edited by ahinton; 11-11-16, 13:55.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          This has happened to me to with regards to my RAC renewal. Iirc, there's a clause in the contract which allows it to be collected without warning unless you stop it with sufficient notice! They would argue that you should have been aware of this and recorded it in, say, a diary to remind yourself.

I do sympathise.
          But... I believe that it's de riguer for the debiting party to tell you in writing, at the start of the contract, how and when they will debit your account. If SA finds that they didn't do this, he might have a claim....

My sympathies too, SA!

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

I do sympathise.
            As do I. It's the Direct Debit bit that's the problem, though, I think; avoid these like the plague, despite everyone telling you that this is the "preferred" payment method!
            Last edited by ahinton; 08-11-16, 16:14.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              I pay by roughly 'monthly' direct debit and have not noticed any problem. (But thanks for posting.)

Presumably it would be worth checking the nature of the contract you entered into which would be, I assume, in an email or letter at the beginning of the first licensing period.
              Well I have to admit that the terms do state that by paying by direct debit, subsequent payments are automatically deducted - rendering one-off online payments impossible while at the same time conflicting somewhat with the thank-you email of confirmation received subsequent to the payment's reminding me elsewhere on the document not to forget to renew!

It seems vital to have ones wits about one all the time these days!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                Direct Debit is something that I woldn't touch with or even without a barge pole. I try to pay all of my regular commitments by credit card (which means no bank charges). Some are monthly on a variable CCA (Continuous Card Authority) and a few like the TV license are done annually, for which I receive a reminder to go online and process it manually.

You should have had some kind of statement that your DD comes off automatically, though.
                Are you sure you are not paying significantly more using your credit card?
                Maybe not by bank charges, but almost certainly to your credit card company.
                Many transactions have a handling fee associated whereas there is none with a debit card or direct debit payment scheme.
                Of course, you DO get some additional protection with a credit card, so it makes sense to use one for certain purchases.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Are you sure you are not paying significantly more using your credit card?
                  Maybe not by bank charges, but almost certainly to your credit card company.
                  Many transactions have a handling fee associated whereas there is none with a debit card or direct debit payment scheme.
                  Of course, you DO get some additional protection with a credit card, so it makes sense to use one for certain purchases.
                  No, I'm not; whilst I am aware that a few firms do charge a credit card handling fee, I'm not a customer of any of them, so no, I don't pay a fee for the privilege of paying by credit card.

I avoid paying anything by DD, cheque (I've pretty much forgotten how to do that anyway - I can't recall when last I wrote one!), standing order or any other means via the bank in order to keep the bank charges to a minimum.

Comment

• Anastasius
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    Direct Debit is something that I woldn't touch with or even without a barge pole. I try to pay all of my regular commitments by credit card (which means no bank charges). Some are monthly on a variable CCA (Continuous Card Authority) and a few like the TV license are done annually, for which I receive a reminder to go online and process it manually.

You might not pay bank charges but many sites will levy a 'credit card' charge.

What are bank charges, by the way? I don't pay any charges unless I go overdrawn.
                    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

When are we going to get an App so we licence holders can access iPlayer abroad?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        When are we going to get an App so we licence holders can access iPlayer abroad?
                        I wouldn't complain too much, or they might make you pay in Euros.......

although maybe not in Turkey.......
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                          You might not pay bank charges but many sites will levy a 'credit card' charge.
                          As I said, I know that some firms do this but I'm not a customer of any of them and so I do not pay such charges.

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                          What are bank charges, by the way? I don't pay any charges unless I go overdrawn.
                          Transaction charges for items crediting and debiting from the account; that's why I use the card for as much as possible, although there's nothing that I can do about charges for credits.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Why on eath are you paying bank charges,AH, unless you are using your business account ?

In my experience, DD is far less troublesome these days than recurring card debits.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Why on eath are you paying bank charges,AH, unless you are using your business account ?
                              You've just answered your own question! My bank allows me to use the same account for business and personal and accepts payment in the business name as well as my own name.

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              In my experience, DD is far less troublesome these days than recurring card debits.
                              I find them no trouble at all unless my card's clobbered, which fortunately hasn't happened in a long time.
                              Last edited by ahinton; 09-11-16, 09:41.

Comment

Working...
                              X