X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CallMePaul
    • Jan 2014

Bobby Vee RIP

Bobby Vee, best known for The Night Has a Thousand Eyes and Take Good Care of my Baby died today aged 73. He had been suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's Disease for the past five years and had been living in a care home in Minneapol;is since last year. He was born Robert Thomas Veline in Fargo, North Dakota in 1943 and got his big break early when he stood in at a concert immediately after the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper.

BOBBY VEE, who has died aged 73, enjoyed a successful spell in the limelight in the early 1960s with a string of saccharine pop hits including Take Good Care of My Baby, Run To Him, The Night Has A Thousand Eyes and Rubber Ball.

RIP Bobby
    Last edited by CallMePaul; 24-10-16, 20:36.
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Sad news indeed

RIP Bobby

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

RIP Bobby

Always loved this song.

Bouncy bouncy!

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Thank you for the music, Bobby.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Strange that this thread should materialise on the Jazz board as I would have thought that this kind of bubble gum was the nemesis of jazz. It is odd how this kind of music seemed such a challenge not only to jazz but the whole popular music scene that culminated in the late 1950s. The most noticeable decline was amongst the many big bands, who, whilst not all playing jazz and some of varying musical quality, but have felt hard hit by the cultural changes which rendered these big bands redundant albeit purely from a populist perspective. No surprises then that the advent of the likes of Bobby Vee coincided with more adventurous and unorthodox writing for big bands which could afford to plough a more artistic furrow as demonstrated by the likes of Gil Evans, etc.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
            Strange that this thread should materialise on the Jazz board* as I would have thought that this kind of bubble gum was the nemesis of jazz. It is odd how this kind of music seemed such a challenge not only to jazz but the whole popular music scene that culminated in the late 1950s. The most noticeable decline was amongst the many big bands, who, whilst not all playing jazz and some of varying musical quality, but have felt hard hit by the cultural changes which rendered these big bands redundant albeit purely from a populist perspective. No surprises then that the advent of the likes of Bobby Vee coincided with more adventurous and unorthodox writing for big bands which could afford to plough a more artistic furrow as demonstrated by the likes of Gil Evans, etc.
            *I agree. For those just a couple or 3 years older who experienced the first wave of rock'n'roll Bobby Vee's style of pop was everything simperingly wrong with Pop music since Elvis became a GI (roughly chronologically speaking) and the only remaining option was to now turn to Soul or one of the then-3 main jazz brands. Even in this neck of the multicultural woods you still find old stagers reminiscing their way back to byegone ages shuffling this stuff to eternity at todays hotel banquetting room Derby & Joans to some young mustachioed guy neatly coiffed in black bow tie and maroon waistcoat who may double as MC on a cheap keyboard at the far end of the room from the bar.

Having said all that, he was apparently a really nice guy, according to Boy Dylan.
            Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 25-10-16, 17:00.

Comment

• CallMePaul
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              Strange that this thread should materialise on the Jazz board as I would have thought that this kind of bubble gum was the nemesis of jazz. It is odd how this kind of music seemed such a challenge not only to jazz but the whole popular music scene that culminated in the late 1950s. The most noticeable decline was amongst the many big bands, who, whilst not all playing jazz and some of varying musical quality, but have felt hard hit by the cultural changes which rendered these big bands redundant albeit purely from a populist perspective. No surprises then that the advent of the likes of Bobby Vee coincided with more adventurous and unorthodox writing for big bands which could afford to plough a more artistic furrow as demonstrated by the likes of Gil Evans, etc.
              I agree that Bobby Vee could in no way be considered a jazz artist, but I could not think of a better place to note his passing. If French Frank as Administrator can think of a more appropriate location then she is free to move it.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                I agree that Bobby Vee could in no way be considered a jazz artist, but I could not think of a better place to note his passing. If French Frank as Administrator can think of a more appropriate location then she is free to move it.
                How about Talking About Music, then? Will move if that's felt appropriate.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  How about Talking About Music, then? Will move if that's felt appropriate.
                  I mainly use What's New and don't even notice which rubric is being used. Don't obits and RIPs often arrive on Platform 3?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    I mainly use What's New and don't even notice which rubric is being used. Don't obits and RIPs often arrive on Platform 3?
                    I use What's New? too. But maybe people who just look at the Homepage, then Jazz or World boards never look at What's New? Platform 3, then.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      I use What's New? too. But maybe people who just look at the Homepage, then Jazz or World boards never look at What's New? Platform 3, then.
                      A propos not that much, ff, but your considerations there brought to mind The Sorting Hat, voiced by Leslie Phillips, debating which Hogwarts' house to place Harry Potter in. Better be Gryffindor.

Comment

Working...
                      X