X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Machaut? The Trobadours?

from Michael Gray, "Song and Dance Man lll - The Art of Bob Dylan", ch. 2 - Dylan and the Literary Tradition.

[Dylan] has chosen a medium we are unused to taking seriously: an inseparable mixture of music and words - and we grew up finding this a cheap and trivial formula. We should look beyond the Elizabethan age to the time when troubadours were an important part of our culture, when that culture was orally dominated and when sophisticated art was the same in kind as the heritage 'of the people'.

If Marshall McLuhan is right, if our electric technology is pushing us forward into another orally dominated age, then it shouldn't be surprising to find a serious artist once again at work in the medium Dylan has chosen. Nor can it astonish us that such an artist can have reforged the links between folk and sophisticated culture.

The idea that Dylan might not sell as a slim volume is to miss the point of what Dylan's art is? - it doesn't fit neatly into the pigeon-holes (Gray's expression) we are used to. (I think the Nobel citation gets it).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      We have the music of Machaut, but not a record of performance (as far as I know). Similarly (probably moreso) with the troubs. Which was what I meant by 'no authentic record of music/performance'.
      Then I'm not sure what was your point in #118. There's no film of Shakespeare acting - there is of Nobel recipient Harold Pinter.

Recording (sound and images) is very much a recent development - "writing Music, words and performing" isn't.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Then I'm not sure what was your point in #118. There's no film of Shakespeare acting - there is of Nobel recipient Harold Pinter.

Recording (sound and images) is very much a recent development - "writing Music, words and performing" isn't.
        Yes - we don't have recordings of the Troubadours, for obv. reasons, but know what they did.

(you beat me by a split second ferney, see #121)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          (you beat me by a split second ferney, see #121)

I can't help feeling that frenchie was making a point that I haven't "seen", though.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I can't help feeling that frenchie was making a point that I haven't "seen", though.
            I know, I keep missing ff's points on this thread

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Oh dear, I thought I was making a point so simple it was hardly worth pointing it out
              Don't understand that point!

I was taking up Serial's point from … last time he said something. Where he mentioned Schubert setting songs but not writing the words. But his contribution to the song was the music. Dylan, I presume, got the Literature prize for his words. In other words not for his music, performance, persona - the things that were part and parcel of what he was/is. I was - if you like - casting doubt on whether you could separate the words from the rest of him.

In #118 my response was directly back to Schubert not writing the words to his songs, and saying "Writing music, words and performing is very much a recent development". I would dispute that we know very much about how the troubadours looked and sounded when performing, which is why I specifically mentioned 'very early examples'.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Ah
                Dylan, I presume, got the Literature prize for his words.
                I think the Nobel citation was a bit more nuanced than that - “for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition”.

Sort of, recognising a bit of category shift?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Ah

I think the Nobel citation was a bit more nuanced than that - “for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition”.

Sort of, recognising a bit of category shift?
                  Or even creating a category for him? That's impressive!
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Or even creating a category for him? That's impressive!
                    Electric troubadour!

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Electric troubadour!
                      Eat yer heart out, Rambo d'Orange

Comment

Working...
                      X