• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Bob Dylan wins Nobel Literature Prize

US singer Bob Dylan is awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, becoming the first songwriter to win the prestigious accolade.

Host: I don’t think it is but if this is (you never know) seen to be political, please remove the thread.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... time to dust down those old copies of Mellers -

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Literature ????

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37643621

Host: I don’t think it is but if this is (you never know) seen to be political, please remove the thread.
        Wonderful news - and very much deserved.

Clinton Heylin:

Bob Dylan - Behind The Shades/Behind the Shades Revisited
        Revolution in the Air: The Songs of Bob Dylan 1957-1973 (Songs of Bob Dylan Vol 1)
        Still on the Road: The Songs of Bob Dylan Vol. 2 1974-2008

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Love his music - sung it semi-pro for years
          BUT
          Nobel Prize for Literature.............??

'Fraid not.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            Agreed. Deserved for a lifetime's achievement. His words have accompanied my life since I was a teenager in the 60s.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I echo that - thanks for posting, dover.

Sara Danius, permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy, said Dylan had been chosen because he was "a great poet in the English speaking tradition".
              Quite. Thanks Vinteuil for those links. I've just lifted down my signed copy of
              in honour of the occasion. Attended a lecture by Gray a while back.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... when you look at the list of previous recipients - you can't but notice that they've missed out on some quite significant writers (wot no Proust?) - and included several who are now completely forgotten, even to the most assiduous trivial pursuit / pub quiz bore...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  Love his music - sung it semi-pro for years
                  BUT
                  Nobel Prize for Literature.............??

'Fraid not.
                  Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... when you look at the list of previous recipients - you can't but notice that they've missed out on some quite significant writers (wot no Proust?) - and included several who are now completely forgotten, even to the most assiduous trivial pursuit / pub quiz bore...

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_pri...ure/laureates/
                  Several things here. I don't think it should set a precedent. It would completely be devalued if a lorry load of Stings and Bonos followed it and frankly that would be ridiculous. At most, I could cope with one or two 20th Century lyricists prior to Dylan being give the award posthumously in the next 50 years and even then it is very debatable. Secondly, as any Paul Morley will tell you, pop and rock music are "over" other than in terms of being a commodity. There are perhaps up to ten (certainly no more than twenty) artists from the heyday of whom in historical terms more is required than simply "they were the best in that field". That "more" is about what they have signified or symbolized beyond it. It has been decided that Bowie was also "art" - some might think that borderline but on balance it is probably right - and the Beatles are/were a social emblem as was punk. I would like Van Morrison eventually to be formally recognised in some sort of hymnal context but I'm not sure that he would! Dylan, though, is clearly happy with the award he has been given.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_pri...ure/laureates/
                    The prizes are not awarded posthumously, and Proust may have been honoured if he had not died at 51. One of the recent "most deserving also-rans" was W.G.Sebald, whose accidental death almost certainly robbed him of the prize, and the world of even greater works.

On the matter of Dylan's desert, I have no opinion, but consider the list of winners of the Peace Prize.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                      The prizes are not awarded posthumously, and Proust may have been honoured if he had not died at 51. One of the recent "most deserving also-rans" was W.G.Sebald, whose accidental death almost certainly robbed him of the prize, and the world of even greater works.
                      I didn't realise that but it appears it has only been the rule since 1974.

Erik Axel Karlfeldt was posthumously awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1931.

These things tend to chop and change.

In another area, I note that we will all be back to 1972-1973 in 2019.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                        • Nov 2010

Just about the only non-classical singer I have ever taken much notice of, but the Nobel Prize for Literature is a step or two too far.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                          • Dec 2010

I didn't realise that but it appears it has only been the rule since 1974.
                          I did not know that. Thank you for the correction.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                            I did not know that. Thank you for the correction.
                            I didn't know it either and wrongly assumed that posthumous awards had always been possible so you were more right than me.

Comment

• Tevot
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                              Just about the only non-classical singer I have ever taken much notice of, but the Nobel Prize for Literature is a step or two too far.
                              Indeed Mary. Consider these footsteps... W B Yeats, G B Shaw, Samuel Beckett, Seamus Heaney... Bob Dylan....

Spot the odd one out.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

Working...
                              X