Would YOU stand for the National Anthem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    I wonder how many here have noticed that self-appauding seems to be becoming more and more common these days. Or are the self-applauders applauding the perspicacity of those applauding them?
    I haven't noticed this. When does it happen?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      I presume that by "wanted to applaud" you imply "did applaud" (the two not being synonymous) - but what were they applauding? The Hallé's (extraordinary) rendition of it? If so, they could surely have done that while seated! I therefore surmise that the decision /reason to stand for it and that to applaud it might not necessarily be connected.
      A good performance worthy of applause and yes they could have applauded seated but they wouldn't have done so as they were standing. Not sure what pedantic point you are trying to make and I am quite agog with indifference!

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
        • Jun 2014

I wonder how many here have noticed that self-appauding seems to be becoming more and more common these days. Or are the self-applauders applauding the perspicacity of those applauding them?
        Yes, Jeremy C. has been seen doing a bit of that, I've noticed ...

For me even more bizarre is the sight of people applauding (sometimes even cheering) dead bodies being carted away in their boxes.

At least when Jeremy's own time comes he'll presumably then be quite unable to continue with his self-applauding ... unless, of course, he somehow manages to follow the extraordinary example of another even more famous J.C.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          I haven't noticed this. When does it happen?
          All the time! Almost any TV programme with a presenter, who at the end stands up to applaud the applauding audience - applauding them for applauding... him?

Scotty's quite right to draw attention to Jeremy Corbyn being in on the act, but I always take the Left to be applauding the collective spirit of appreciation being shown, whereas right wingers (the default position of most presenters nowadays, even on supposedly "politically neutral" shows) must by definition be applauding their individualistic inclinations, or those on bended knee before them?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

All the time! Almost any TV programme
            Say no more. I am out of my depth
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
              Yes, Jeremy C. has been seen doing a bit of that, I've noticed ...

For me even more bizarre is the sight of people applauding (sometimes even cheering) dead bodies being carted away in their boxes.

At least when Jeremy's own time comes he'll presumably then be quite unable to continue with his self-applauding ... unless, of course, he somehow manages to follow the extraordinary example of another even more famous J.C.
              I can't ever see our own John Corrigan indulge in self-applause, PG, Nor am I sure which Jeremy C you might be referring to - one that I know of does seem to be rather full of himself while yet another seems to have little cause for applause in any direction.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Say no more. I am out of my depth
                It happens a lot in football when a player wants to build up support from the crowd.

Comment

Working...
                X