Would YOU stand for the National Anthem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

I do not - I believe that there isn't a god and shouldn't be a monarch - and see nothing either "respectful" or "polite" in somebody else expecting me to do so (any more than if I demanded that they remain seated in order to show me "polite respect"). I would have stood for the Marseillaise at the Prom earlier this year - for reasons other than than acknowledgement of Nationalism - and would probably do so from similar motives in other circumstances, which I hope will not be necessary.

I would stand for (and join in singing) The Red Flag, as it is the Labour movement in general (and the - old - Labour Party in particular) that has enabled me to have the quality of life that I have enjoyed - a quality that monarchs have historically shown no interest or inclination in granting to somebody from my social background.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
      ... I just do what everyone round me is doing.

I'm with jean.

As a young VSO I was arrested in Cameroun for failing to stop and pay respect (I was on a noisy mobylette and unaware) as the national anthem was playing and the flag being taken down at sunset at an army barracks.

Ever since I have adopted the custom of whichever country I happened to be in.

Something a little pathetic at efforts to singularise oneself in a look-at-me protest.

Comment

• greenilex
        • Nov 2010

Could one's attitude have to do with habits learned in childhood?

I attended kindergarten near New York and processed around the classroom singing each morning.

When I came back to school in England we sang GSTQ regularly, as well as a special RC version in chapel at Benediction.

As a committed World Citizen, I do like the Ode to Joy.

But of course it's all wishful thinking and the tear brought to one's eye is just the result of mass emotion...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          Something a little pathetic at efforts to singularise oneself in a look-at-me protest.
          But, of course, that works equally well/poorly the other way - there is something pathetic about efforts to demonstrate one's "normality" in a "don't look at me, I'm just like you" Pavlovian response to a drumroll.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
            • Dec 2010

The politeness I mentioned earlier, and which appears to have attracted ridicule, was the same politeness that prompts me to remove my hat in somebody's home.
            I think one can ignore the words of an anthem or the inherent meanings; do the British refuse to stand for the Star-Spangled Banner?
            Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 05-09-16, 09:23.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              But, of course, that works equally well/poorly the other way - there is something pathetic about efforts to demonstrate one's "normality" in a "don't look at me, I'm just like you" Pavlovian response to a drumroll.
              ... o you radical anarchist you!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                do the British refuse to stand for the Star-Spangled Banner?
                This one refuses to stand for any national anthem anywhere. And I'm someone who enjoys singing as much as anyone else. The "Red Flag" or the "Internationale" are fine with me, but if as I do one despises all forms of nationalism it would be hypocritical to "respect" such manifestations of it as national anthems, no?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... o you radical anarchist you!
                  It's too late for flattery now!

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    This one refuses to stand for any national anthem anywhere. And I'm someone who enjoys singing as much as anyone else. The "Red Flag" or the "Internationale" are fine with me, but if as I do one despises all forms of nationalism it would be hypocritical to "respect" such manifestations of it as national anthems, no?
                    Yes.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                      • Dec 2010

I was taught that the British were the most polite of people. Perhaps I have been mistaken.
                      I was once introduced to a murderer (after his release, I should add); I refused to shake his hand. The gesture demeaned me, not him.
                      Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 01-12-16, 15:04.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Surely it is a matter of respect and politeness. The words are immaterial. I can think of several nations whose policies past and present I detest, but I would never insult them in public by not standing for their anthem.
                        My sentiments also Alain (and jean, and vinteuil).

And to Richard's
                        This one refuses to stand for any national anthem anywhere.
                        I would ask "Even if the consequences could be fatal?" - far-fetched I know, but if you found yourself on a delegation to North Korea for example? Are you prepared to be a martyr for this cause?

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                          but if as I do one despises all forms of nationalism it would be hypocritical to "respect" such manifestations of it as national anthems, no?
                          Or international sporting events?

if a future right-wing government … decided to reintroduce this custom, would you be prepared (or even happy?) to observe by standing to attention and even singing along?
                          No, I wouldn't be happy to stand or sing in those circumstances. Otherwise, I probably would because I think it's ceased to be anything particularly significant to most people, like saying: "Good morning. Nice weather we're having." Monarchy is a sort of "Neither agree nor disagree" issue for me. Nationalism is "Strongly disagree". I don't see the former as being some sort of embodiment of the latter. More like affection for one's own home.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            I do not - I believe that there isn't a god and shouldn't be a monarch - and see nothing either "respectful" or "polite" in somebody else expecting me to do so (any more than if I demanded that they remain seated in order to show me "polite respect"). I would have stood for the Marseillaise at the Prom earlier this year - for reasons other than than acknowledgement of Nationalism - and would probably do so from similar motives in other circumstances, which I hope will not be necessary.

I would stand for (and join in singing) The Red Flag, as it is the Labour movement in general (and the - old - Labour Party in particular) that has enabled me to have the quality of life that I have enjoyed - a quality that monarchs have historically shown no interest or inclination in granting to somebody from my social background.
                            I'm with you all the way, here.....

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Or international sporting events?
                              TBH I have no interest in those either.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                                • Nov 2010

The politeness I mentioned earlier, and which appears to have attracted ridicule, was the same politeness that prompts me to remove my hat in somebody's home.
                                I think one can ignore the words of an anthem or the inherent meanings; do the British refuse to stand for the Star-Spangled Banner?
                                No ridicule from me - it seems impolite not to stand at least (singing them is a different matter). And, just to add something trivial to these serious posts, how many H v K fans will admit to having the following in their collection:

Comment

Working...
                                X