Would YOU stand for the National Anthem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Would YOU stand for the National Anthem?

A comment on the Loughran thread has got me wondering.

It used to be the form for all concerts/operas (and even some theatrical performances) to begin with the playing of the N.A., during which it was assumed that audience members would stand to indicate their respect for the values embodied in said piece.

Some of us can remember a time (even into the 90s) when the day's broadcasting on BBC television channels ended with the anthem (did you stand up if you were at home, I wonder? I'm sure some people did).

So - if a future right-wing government (and, let's face it, there won't be any other kind) decided to reintroduce this custom, would you be prepared (or even happy?) to observe by standing to attention and even singing along?

The N.A. custom persists in many other countries, of course - standing for the Armenian national anthem (which I did as an 'interested tourist) during my visit to Yerevan in 2008 was an interesting experience.

Personally, I can't envisage the circumstances in which I'd stand for the British N.A., though I might stand for the 'Ode To Joy', if only to annoy any UKIPers who happened to be nearby.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

NO

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Nor me. Nor in fact did I stand for the US anthem when I once went to a "football" match there. This got me some funny looks.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        Nor me. Nor in fact did I stand for the US anthem when I once went to a "football" match there. This got me some funny looks.
        I was chatting to a very keen football ( soccer) fan a few years back. He was , despite being a portsmouth supporter, a very nice and intelligent chap, with lots of experience of watching live matches, who had found himself among the US supporters at a world cup match.
        The all stood during the US anthem, belting out the song, arms across chest, the whole nationalistic bit.

Immediately the game started, the US fans apparently tore into their team's shortcomings mercilessly, and continued in this vein right through the game.

anyway," No", is the answer of course, and the same goes for Ode to Joy. and anything else the politicians want me to sing/observe/doff cap to.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Yes. Indeed I do.

If I want to be dissident, I like it to be a bit better than not standing for the national anthem!

But I suppose if it makes people feel cool and ‘ard, why not? - it is cool Britannia, after all.

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Hmm. An interesting question! I would stand for 'God save the QUEEN' out of respect for a woman who, I think, deserves it. Whether, as eventually must happen, the anthem becomes 'God save the KING', I'm not so sure.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I always do
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

Part of my reasoning for not standing is that i don't understand the concept of 'patriotism': how can you be 'proud' of the country you just happened to be born in when you had no choice in the matter?

I'm not a republican, either.

Comment

• Conchis
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                  Hmm. An interesting question! I would stand for 'God save the QUEEN' out of respect for a woman who, I think, deserves it. Whether, as eventually must happen, the anthem becomes 'God save the KING', I'm not so sure.
                  Just the thought of keeping my opinions to myself for sixty-four years makes me gag in amazement. I could no more do that than I could win Wimbledon.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

I’d never looked at it like that - it’ll be a real dilemma!!

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Depends which National Anthem. Back in the '70s and '80s I would always stand for Amhrán na bhFian. Don't think I'd bother today though. As to the U.K. National Anthem, if Promming, I would probably not make a point of sitting down on the floor of the Arena, but ...

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                        • Dec 2010

Surely it is a matter of respect and politeness. The words are immaterial. I can think of several nations whose policies past and present I detest, but I would never insult them in public by not standing for their anthem.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Yes - I would stand (and sing) the British national anthem in an auditorium if it was played.

No - I would not stand or sing the British (or any other) national anthem if I was at home and it was played at the end of television transmission.

OG

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Another case of Oberon's, ..."Be as thou was wont to be, See as thou was wont to see..."
                            As a child of the thirties, I recall the dedication of the Royal family during WW2 and, as a thesp in later years, happily accepted an invitation from the QM to a post-performance buffet and the pleasure of standing to ackknowledge her presence when the national anthem was played at the Georgian Theatre, Richmond, North Yorks at a performance of Wycherley's The Country Wife. A month or so, earlier, she'd attended a Royal performance of The Pride of Ms Jean Brodie and much taken aback that the print had been 'cut' for the occasion; later our company manager was asked to ensure that we performed an unexpurgated text of the play and its delightful bawdy text. The only protests we got during the season was from outraged American visitors!

I also recall the usual early departure of cinemagoers before the Lord Chamberlain ended the practice of playing the anthem after the last showing of the main feature and they would quit in droves as they sensed the ending only to be cheated of the final big laugh in Some Like It Hot (1959) when Jack Lemmon, in full drag, exclaimed to a lecherous Joe e Brown, "But I'm a man", only to be told, "Ah, well, nobody's perfect" Thought I would add a bit of humour to a tedious thread!
                            Last edited by Stanley Stewart; 04-09-16, 21:55. Reason: fluffed my lines

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Yes, in short. I stood for the Soviet Union national anthem in 1979 where it was played by the LSO at a Moscow concert at which the ambassador and Minister of Culture were present. The Russian audience stood for ours too.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X