Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenilex
    • Nov 2010

All this eyewash seems to have seeped into mine....

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

I seem to have less and less of it to wash these days anyway; I think it's down either to the recession that some anti-Brexiteers warned would be a consequence of an out vote, to government cutbacks or possibly both...
      Last edited by ahinton; 30-08-16, 09:00.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I'll have to put mine on "Delicates".
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          The BBC seem to make no distinction between the R3 audience and all other BBC platform audiences.
          I suppose R3 listeners might be assumed to know a bit more and thus resent being 'brainwashed', smacked in the ear by Proms trails that nearly have me throwing my radio out of the window hourly / daily.
          The way we're talked down to, I can only assume the intended audience is the Kindergarten.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            The way we're talked down to, I can only assume the intended audience is the Kindergarten.
            I have suggested that the best 'trail' for the Proms was probably the Lucy Crowe folksong at the end of Newsnight last week with the RAH in the background. Now available on YouTube, courtesy of BBC Newsnight.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

The BBC seem to make no distinction between the R3 audience and all other BBC platform audiences [....]
              It's branding, innit?

Except, someone with a rather limited idea of marketing (or budget, maybe too) doesn't realise that markets are segmented.

As in:

The BBC seem to make no distinction between the R3 audience and all other BBC platform audiences[...] R3 listeners might be assumed to know a bit more ....
              Is it beyond the wit of man/woman to devise different ads to run on R3 - even different am and pm - from those on other networks?

Write out 100 times 'I must not patronise Radio Three listeners'.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                It's branding, innit?
                Well - the effect on me is akin to someone pressing a red hot iron against my skin, so yes!
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Frances_iom
                  • Mar 2007

The BBC seem to make no distinction between the R3 audience and all other BBC platform audiences.
                  why should they - Wright kept his job and entertainment allowance by getting rid of most of the knowledgeable listeners - presumably in the name of social equality - why should they have special treatment from the rest of the hoi polloi.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I have suggested that the best 'trail' for the Proms was probably the Lucy Crowe folksong at the end of Newsnight last week with the RAH in the background. Now available on YouTube, courtesy of BBC Newsnight.
                    Thank you for that, FF. Link at:

Each night during the Proms, we are playing out with a special preview. Here's our latest - soprano Lucy Crowe. She is performing Mozart on Friday night at 7...

Not sure that I don't prefer someone like she-who-should-be Dame Shirley Collins (if there was any justice in the world) but good to hear Lucy Crowe gie it laldy

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      Thank you for that, FF. Link at:

Each night during the Proms, we are playing out with a special preview. Here's our latest - soprano Lucy Crowe. She is performing Mozart on Friday night at 7...

Not sure that I don't prefer someone like she-who-should-be Dame Shirley Collins (if there was any justice in the world) but good to hear Lucy Crowe gie it laldy
                      A lovely rendition of a haunting and enigmatic song - which has, with its different versions, combinations of verses, etc., prompted a fair bit of discussion - I think Lucy sings a slightly shortened version here...

Most of the interest in the song’s meaning has concentrated on the modern version, based on Padraic Colum’s poem, so I’ll start there. The original poem starts with the narrator l…

She Moved Through the Fair is probably one of the most ancient of Irish folk songs yet is immensely popular with contemporary singers and modern day audiences.

My perfect version would be Irish, but which? - here's John McCormack, with upside-down picture

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Well - the effect on me is akin to someone pressing a red hot iron against my skin, so yes!
                        So it's trailblazing? aka aversion therapy.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          Though the point was that Lucy Crowe had recently appeared at the Proms, and her version was therefore (with the RAH backdrop) a Proms 'trail'. Not sure the Should-Be Dame has yet appeared there.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Not quite brainwashing, though I do wonder, but this was a pretty darn good bit of mind boggling from the Beeb at the Edinburgh Festival.
                            Last edited by johncorrigan; 31-08-16, 08:17. Reason: brainwashed

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              Not quite brainwashing, though I do wonder, but this was a pretty darn good bit of mind boggling from the Beeb at the Edinburgh Festival.
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p045yfc3
                              Very polished. IMHO, of course :-) If he hadn't turned it upside down at the end, I might have wondered. But great entertainment. And brain-washing, of course.

Comment

• Daniel
                                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                                I washed mine last night and now I can't do a thing with it.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Comment

Working...
                                X