X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Proving identity in the UK

Proving identity is getting harder in some situations in the UK. For example, car hire - many hirers require photo ID, but surely a UK driving license will do. Maybe not! Some require a passport as well, which is OK for everyone who has one, or who has not just sent off for a new one.

There used to be a national identity card, but that was only valid for about one year from 2010 to 2011.

Are we all going to have to be chipped, like pets, in order to be able to do some form of business in the future?
    Minority Report scenarios?
  • VodkaDilc

I have been in this situation when buying foreign currency. They (mostly) don't seem happy with an old-style driving licence with no photo (sometimes a subject of curiosity from the youngsters on the till: "I've never seen one of these before".) They occasionally accept the photo ID of a bus pass, but I find it safest to take my passport if I'm likely to need to prove who I am.

It can prove difficult for some much older people. My late mother had neither passport, driving licence nor bus pass (she took the option of tokens). It sometimes caused some difficult moments, requiring a cetain amount of flexibility, which present-day jobsworths are not allowed to give.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Many countries have national ID cards, an idea which has always been resisted in the UK but which does have the advantage of being a universally valid form of identification in this kind of situation. My (UK) driving licence does have a photo on it, which I guess would explain the requirement for additional photo ID if your licence is the older sort (I had to replace mine a few years ago when the original one was lost). You can get a temporary passport if you have a pending application.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

I have an old driving licence as I have never moved since I was given it and no photo card . I have never had any problem with it when hiring a car even abroad .

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          I have an old driving licence as I have never moved since I was given it and no photo card . I have never had any problem with it when hiring a car even abroad .
          OK, but what ID do you use instead? Or is your non-photo drivers' licence always accepted as ID?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            OK, but what ID do you use instead? Or is your non-photo drivers' licence always accepted as ID?
            I understood the "no problem with it" in Barbi's post to mean that "even abroad", there is no need (or, at least, he has had no need) to have an "instead".
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              I understood the "no problem with it" in Barbi's post to mean that "even abroad", there is no need (or, at least, he has had no need) to have an "instead".
              OK - and you're most likely correct; I'd read the "it" his second sentence - mistakenly, perhaps - as referring to the business of hiring a car abroad rather than to his non-photo licence!

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

I can tell you if you are NOT a driver, your problems of proving ID multiply!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  I realised that after encountering numerous problems, and re-newed my licence last year, even though it's unlikely I'll be driving again. I see it now has to be re-newed every 3 years!

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    Surely only in instances when a single ID document is deemed insufficient? I'd have thought that a passport alone ought to suffice for most circumstances, but I suppose that it's cases when a second document that includes proof of address where the problem probably arises. This is where Richard's favouring of a national ID card makes sense, provided that it includes both a photo and address details. As it is, I rarely go anywhere without my passport.
                    Last edited by ahinton; 17-08-16, 14:52.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      I realised that after encountering numerous problems, and re-newed my licence last year, even though it's unlikely I'll be driving again. I see it now has to be re-newed every 3 years!
                      On the advice of the DVLA, I voluntarily surrendered my licence because they said there would be fewer formalities in renewing it. However, my doctor has to cooperate if I want to renew it - and isn't, even though I have no intention of getting a car or driving. I wanted to renew it because it's one of the decreasing ways of proving you are who you say you are. As for paperless utility bills - Nah!
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

As it is, I rarely go anywhere without my passport.
                        What, even in Hereford?

OG

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

In a similar vein - for a recent trip to Canada, I was told that without a credit card, I could not hire a car. I haven't had a credit card in decades, but had to obtain one for this purpose. I have not used it since my return to the UK (and didn't use it to pay for the car either as I pre-paid in the UK through and agent).

OG

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            What, even in Hereford?
                            Especially in Hereford! No, seriously, I almost never go to Hereford anyway. That said, carrying my passport around with me's become a habit over the years; it's always in my wallet unless I'm actually showing it.

Comment

• Vox Humana
                              • Dec 2012

I'd have thought that a passport alone ought to suffice for most circumstances
                              Our local record office requires proof of identity for anyone who hasn't visited in the last twelve months and the last time I went down I fell into that category. They refused to accept my passport. I asked why. "It doesn't show your address," was the reply. (Fortunately they accepted my old-style driving licence instead.)

Comment

Working...
                              X