X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seabright
    • Jan 2013

Holst from Japan

I was very taken with this splendid performance of Holst's 2nd Suite for Military Band as played by the Wind Section of the NHK (Nippon Hoso Kyokai) Symphony Orchestra, Tokyo. See what you think ...

• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by seabright View Post
    I was very taken with this splendid performance of Holst's 2nd Suite for Military Band as played by the Wind Section of the NHK (Nippon Hoso Kyokai) Symphony Orchestra, Tokyo. See what you think ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovqFe9KhMj8
    We know, obviously, the strong music Holst was capable of composing - no shrinking violet, he! Yet I've always been puzzled at this gentle man's attraction to military music. With Elgar, Bliss, Brian and Walton - more understandable from a temperamental pov. I suppose it was a generic expectation for composers in and of that late Empire era.

Comment

• umslopogaas
      • Nov 2010

Perhaps it wasnt so much the militaristic nature of the music, as the fact it allowed him to write for the trombone, his favourite instrument? Also of course, there may have been a financial attraction: I dont suppose his salary as a school teacher was very large, and if he wrote popular music that people wanted to play, it would have brought in some welcome royalties. And as you say, it was the late Empire era, such military marching music would have struck a more sympathetic chord then than it might do now.

Comment

• seabright
        • Jan 2013

Also, I imagine "The Planets" is one of the most often played English works when it comes to "foreign" performances. This Russian orchestra, for example, gives it the full Shostakovich "Leningrad" treatment! ...

Оркестр Пермского театра оперы и балета, оркестр musicAeterna, дирижер – Валерий Платонов.1. Марс, вестник войны2. Венера, вестник мира3. Меркурий, крылатый ...

Comment

• umslopogaas
          • Nov 2010

Phew! I only had time for 'Mars', but I cant imagine it played better than that. To borrow a phrase and massage it a bit, this is not English music about the universe, it is universal Music that happens to have been written by an Englishman.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Are the plastic screens in front of the timps some sort of noise protection for the players in front? Always good to hear orchestras playing music that they're probably not too familiar with.

Comment

• seabright
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              Are the plastic screens in front of the timps some sort of noise protection for the players in front? Always good to hear orchestras playing music that they're probably not too familiar with.
              I notice there are some similar plastic screens in front of the brass and behind the woodwinds. They seem a bit flimsy to me so I wonder how effective they are in noise protection? ... Incidentally, did you notice the tuba player visibly counting the beats with his right hand prior to his next cue (starting at 2:35)? ... Also, wait till you hear "Jupiter" from these young Russians. None of that "I Vow To Thee My Country" sentiment at all and I think it's all the better for it!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

I'll have to have a look!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                X