• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

100 years ago

On 31st May 1916, my father lived in Patricroft, then in eastern Lancashire. He was four years old.

On this day, his mother, Muriel Alpensinfonie, walked around the house uneasily. Her sense of unease increased in the evening and she just couldn't sleep during the night. Her husband, John Alpensinfonie, couldn't make sense of it, but eventually she said, "I can feel something. It's like there's a big battle going on". Later on the following day, her tension eased.

Soon afterwards, news of the Battle of Jutland emerged.

Impossible, or course, but a weird coincidence.
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    On 31st May 1916, my father lived in Patricroft, then in eastern Lancashire. He was four years old.

On this day, his mother, Muriel Alpensinfonie, walked around the house uneasily. Her sense of unease increased in the evening and she just couldn't sleep during the night. Her husband, John Alpensinfonie, couldn't make sense of it, but eventually she said, "I can feel something. It's like there's a big battle going on". Later on the following day, her tension eased.

Soon afterwards, news of the Battle of Jutland emerged.

Very interesting.

What is impossible?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      What is impossible?
      Nothing.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

My goodness! ESP? My wife is quite susceptible to other worldly goings on, and I have had one encounter, not nice. Made me feel quite ill.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

(to mis-paraphrase Colin Wilson) what would we REALLY impossible and strange would be if things like this NEVER happened.

Comment

• Tevot
            • Nov 2010

There was a piece in yesterday's Guardian about the Battle. Very well written imho...

The mist and confusion surrounding the May 1916 naval battle is a reminder of the fearsome cost of military miscalculation

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Very interesting.

What is impossible?
              It's all there in our family history, but it's a bit like a chapter from John Wyndham's The Chrysalids.

That said, there have been a couple of instances when more localised things have happened to people I've been with. 1n 1967, I decided to cycle home from boarding school on a Sunday morning (40 miles across the Pennines), to pick up my camera for a geography project. As I wasn't supposed to do this, I didn't tell anyone. When I arrived home, my mother had already set a place for me at the dinner table. She was expecting me.
              In 1982, I was making a cine film of a cookery demonstration and was wondering how to show the passage of time visually. It was 5.25 p.m., and I'd just decided what to do when my 5-year old son exclaimed with great excitement: "Daddy's going to turn the clock back to 5.00 o'clock."

"Gobsmacked" doesn't even begin to describe the feeling. . .

Comment

• greenilex
                • Nov 2010

It is a question of knowing how to listen, and what to listen to.

Comment

• Tevot
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                  It is a question of knowing how to listen, and what to listen to.
                  Hello there Greenilex,

Would you care to expand on your comment?

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

It's all there in our family history, but it's a bit like a chapter from John Wyndham's The Chrysalids.

That said, there have been a couple of instances when more localised things have happened to people I've been with. 1n 1967, I decided to cycle home from boarding school on a Sunday morning (40 miles across the Pennines), to pick up my camera for a geography project. As I wasn't supposed to do this, I didn't tell anyone. When I arrived home, my mother had already set a place for me at the dinner table. She was expecting me.
                    In 1982, I was making a cine film of a cookery demonstration and was wondering how to show the passage of time visually. It was 5.25 p.m., and I'd just decided what to do when my 5-year old son exclaimed with great excitement: "Daddy's going to turn the clock back to 5.00 o'clock."

"Gobsmacked" doesn't even begin to describe the feeling. . .
                    Yes, I seem to be, erm, blessed with certain attributes in this area, which for a skeptic may seem strange. The thing is, I think, not to treat or use them as some kind of religion or belief system.

Comment

• greenilex
                      • Nov 2010

Not sure I know enough about it. Ears not involved, probably. Hairs, like the cochlear ones, may have something to do with it?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Yes, I seem to be, erm, blessed with certain attributes in this area, which for a skeptic may seem strange. The thing is, I think, not to treat or use them as some kind of religion or belief system.
                        I am skeptical of a grandmother hearing/sensing a sea battle taking place many hundreds of miles away, but in the case of close family members, I can see that there may be a connection.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

I am skeptical of a grandmother hearing/sensing a sea battle taking place many hundreds of miles away, but in the case of close family members, I can see that there may be a connection.
                          ... skeptical? skeptikal?? Has our Alpie gone all Amerikan???

I orlwayz thort it were... sceptical

Leastways on this side of the Atlantic....

Last edited by vinteuil; 31-05-16, 16:28.

Comment

• Historian
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
                            There was a piece in yesterday's Guardian about the Battle. Very well written imho...

The mist and confusion surrounding the May 1916 naval battle is a reminder of the fearsome cost of military miscalculation

Best Wishes, Tevot
                            I could quibble with his understanding of one or two points, but on the whole a vastly better description than the BBC documentary he mentions, which was pretty dire I felt. I have just started reading Andrew Gordon's ;The Rules of the Game' which looks very interesting. Not sure Michael White has fully grasped Gordon's arguments from what I have read so far.

Comment

• Tevot
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                              I could quibble with his understanding of one or two points, but on the whole a vastly better description than the BBC documentary he mentions, which was pretty dire I felt. I have just started reading Andrew Gordon's ;The Rules of the Game' which looks very interesting. Not sure Michael White has fully grasped Gordon's arguments from what I have read so far.
                              Thanks for this Historian, I'm not familiar with Andrew Gordon's book. What's his thesis?

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

Working...
                              X