X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Finchcocks instrument auction

Some of you might be interested in this?
    I've been after a Tibetan telescopic trumpet for a while but fear the one here will be too expensive
    but some wonderful instruments in this (rather sad) sale

• LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Hmm, I wonder what the late founder of the collection would think of the values placed upon his treasures.

"Yet another Broadwood square piano: do I hear £100 pounds? 80 pounds??"
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Tony Halstead
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      Hmm, I wonder what the late founder of the collection would think of the values placed upon his treasures.

"Yet another Broadwood square piano: do I hear £100 pounds? 80 pounds??"
      As far as I know, Mr Burnett is still very much alive and not yet 'late'.
      I'm thinking that those various Broadwood and other 'square pianos' are going to sell for maybe 4 or 5 times their estimates.

Comment

• David-G
        • Mar 2012

Richard and Katrina Burnett are indeed very much alive. They write:

The important point however is to reassure everyone that we have not abandoned our project of recreating and preserving the sound-world of the great baroque, classical and romantic composers. We will be retaining our Core Collection of playing instruments , as an Open Resource for musical events and research, we will be keeping the Finchcocks Charity for Musical Education to support the maintenance of the instruments and the events themselves. We also will be keeping and re-forming our team of players, teachers and technicians. We are at present exploring alternative locations and various interesting projects.

You can read their full message here: http://www.friendsofsquarepianos.co.uk/finchcocks/.

The "Core Collection" consists of twelve of the best instruments. The auctioneers write:

A small, core collection will be retained as part of the existing Finchcocks Charity. Proceeds from the auction will support the charity in training technicians and tuners, keeping these historical instruments in superb playing condition and preserving their original sound through performance.

There are still two days left, tomorrow and Monday, for anyone who has not yet been to Finchcocks to experience the magic of the place.

Comment

• David-G
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Tony View Post
          I'm thinking that those various Broadwood and other 'square pianos' are going to sell for maybe 4 or 5 times their estimates.
          Indeed so. But some of the squares which are priced ultra-cheaply are in need of a considerable amount of restoration.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
            Richard and Katrina Burnett are indeed very much alive.

There are still two days left, tomorrow and Monday, for anyone who has not yet been to Finchcocks to experience the magic of the place.
            It doesn't look to me as though the place will be open again - http://www.finchcocks.co.uk/index.php

Pity - I never went, but often thought about going. I think I have at least one LP recorded on an instrument from the collection.

Great looking catalogue. At the prices listed I could even afford some of the instruments, though as suggested they may go for a lot more. I certainly hope so, as otherwise splitting up the collection would seem to be a great shame, and the aims of the sale would be severely compromised.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by David-G View Post
              Richard and Katrina Burnett are indeed very much alive.
              Oops, I'm delighted to hear it
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• David-G
                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                It doesn't look to me as though the place will be open again - http://www.finchcocks.co.uk/index.php

Pity - I never went, but often thought about going. I think I have at least one LP recorded on an instrument from the collection.
                You could still go tomorrow Sunday, and Monday. The place is open for viewing for the sale - but everything is much as it ever was. You can see the instruments in the beautiful panelled rooms, and play them, and explore the garden, and see the sheep in the surrounding fields.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Very sad to hear this. It was also sad to hear the Finchcocks collection being no more. I was looking forward to seeing this collection. Alas however....
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

A collection of 70 historic keyboards is being auctioned for charity, in the hope of raising up to £900,000.

A collection of 70 historic keyboards belonging to a concert pianist sells for more than £835,000 at auction.
                    Last edited by mercia; 13-05-16, 12:41.

Comment

Working...
                    X