Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    East Dean is also where Frank Bridge lived, and where Britten often visited for lessons. (Bridge's grave is in the neighbouring village of Friston.)

I visited the East Dean village green many times when I lived in East Sussex ('85-'95) and it wasn't changed from the photo RT posts - the Tiger Inn was a terrific place; as was Grimaldi's Restaurant on the opposite side of the green. Very expensive - I only ate there twice, when I was treatred by some of the wealthier locals as thanks for their kids' exam results.
    I knew it well a generation earlier () - my grandparents retired there in 1950, and I spent many childhood holidays there in the 50s and early 60s. Birling Gap is the nearby beach, where the cliff line retreats at an alarming rate. Grimaldi's must have opened around 1970. I didn't know Frank Bridge had lived there! I haven't been back since the 1970s, though my sister did a sentimental journey there recently.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      I knew it well a generation earlier () - my grandparents retired there in 1950, and I spent many childhood holidays there in the 50s and early 60s. Birling Gap is the nearby beach, where the cliff line retreats at an alarming rate. Grimaldi's must have opened around 1970. I didn't know Frank Bridge had lived there! I haven't been back since the 1970s, though my sister did a sentimental journey there recently.
      I'm trying to recall if John Ireland is not also buried nearby, before hitting the pillow. Me that is! I'll check tomorrow.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        I'm trying to recall if John Ireland is not also buried nearby, before hitting the pillow. Me that is! I'll check tomorrow.
        Coincidentally, Bridge and Ireland are both buried in the grounds of St Mary the Virgin Churchyard - but about 30 miles apart: Bridge is in Friston, East Sussex, Ireland in Shipley, Horsham, West Sussex.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• greenilex
          • Nov 2010

Lovely maypole pic. I particularly like the boy on the right who is correctly dressed in a smock.

Smocks for school were a really good idea. Even in France I think the tablier has died the death?

Comment

Working...
          X