X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
    Also nice, though being constructed of wicker tends to make me worry about his longevity.

There are various examples in our local cathedrals which have lasted well.
    I was looking at the wallflowers at six o'clock - a flower that I used to dismiss as dull but now I love them. They have an unexpected fluorescent quality which provides a modern twist to what unequivocally is a plant of traditional appearance. The second green man looks similarly fluorescent to me. Creme de menthe? Just say no. I found a great one - a green man on google - standing next to a woman who looked like she has been shopping and consequently perplexed but I can't find it now and actually can do better. I once took a photograph in front of the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury - a typical scene of concert revellers. In the middle of them is an elderly woman with grey hair who is carrying shopping bags as if she has just been down to Tescos. It is totally bizarre. I really don't remember the moment and a part of me wonders whether she was inadvertently super-imposed.

Anyhow, back on topic, I would like to see the cathedral green men. I don't really know about them and should try to learn more, given their linkages between the secular and the devout. Re faces, I understand your point but as one ages it is impossible to predict what is likely to appeal. I have suddenly become transfixed by the faces of animals - especially horses and cows - to the extent I have wondered why, while nice, they didn't especially impress me in my first half century. I haven't the faintest idea what, if anything, it means. It is, I suppose, possible that the sheer beauty of nature is being interpreted directly as well as conceptually and symbolically - the very opposite direction in which many folk travel.
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 30-04-17, 20:50.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
      I was looking at the wallflowers at six o'clock - a flower that I used to dismiss as dull but now I love them.
      If you plant wallflowers between vegetables, they will fend off snugs and slails - a useful plant.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        If you plant wallflowers between vegetables, they will fend off snugs and slails - a useful plant.
        I am not sure if I knew that or not. I probably didn't. What I did hear about was marigolds and tomatoes. Thank you for the very good advice.

(To get rid of large amounts of washing up liquid bubbles in the sink, run a bar of soap around the plug hole - it's a miracle the way it works)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

I am not sure if I knew that or not. I probably didn't. What I did hear about was marigolds and tomatoes. Thank you for the very good advice.

(To get rid of large amounts of washing up liquid bubbles in the sink, run a bar of soap around the plug hole - it's a miracle the way it works)
          Ah yes, marigolds, NOT wallflowers!

Thanks for the bubbles idea - will give it a try.

Comment

• greenilex
            • Nov 2010

Managed to catch "Now is the month of Maying "- fairly scrappy fall-lalls I fear - and a tiny burst of early dance music from the Bodleian, I think it was...but weather not ideal this year.

Comment

• greenilex
              • Nov 2010

Should have started by wishing you all the merriest of days...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Interesting to read why this happens (and the challenge to ICI's thinking!) here:

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Ah yes, marigolds, NOT wallflowers!

Thanks for the bubbles idea - will give it a try.
                  I think it might also be true of wallflowers - and sweet williams and phlox.

Rain prevents May Day bluebell amble and I was looking forward to it too.

(My post about nature was misleading - I've always loved foliage and landscapes)

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

happy mayd day bank holiday everyone!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

Dichterliebe (Amor de poeta) es un ciclo de canciones en alemán o Lieder de Robert Schumann compuesto en 1840 para voz solista con acompañamiento de piano. S...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        happy mayd day bank holiday everyone!
                        And to you, Bbm ! ... I've already started my leg exercises for the Big Parade ...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                          And to you, Bbm ! ... I've already started my leg exercises for the Big Parade ...

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          Interesting to read why this happens (and the challenge to ICI's thinking!) here:

https://www.theguardian.com/notesand...,-1025,00.html
                          I didn't know the science behind it so thank you.

Anyway, to tie up some of the loose ends:

The Green Man, Norwich Cathedral - https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/220/52...0d7c42445c.jpg

One May Day Horse - https://31daysofmay.files.wordpress....6/img_0334.jpg

Oxford Academics - https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com...pa_450x350.jpg

And The Time May Have Come - http://www.workers.org/wp-content/up...yDayStrike.jpg
                          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 01-05-17, 18:41.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

I didn't know the science behind it so thank you.
                            I'm not convinced that either of the main respondents do/does either!
                            (Two 'eithers' in one sentence? Hope you see what I mean!)

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              I'm not convinced that either of the main respondents do/does either!
                              (Two 'eithers' in one sentence? Hope you see what I mean!)
                              Yes probably - it's been a strange thread for what, the more one thinks about it, is one of the strangest days in the calendar - I rather like it.

Comment

• ardcarp
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Wunderbar!! What a voice.

Comment

Working...
                                X