X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

The established point seems to be that there is NO 'right' and 'wrong' in this: simply usage and wont - or in Alpie's case, won't.
    Golders Green but Shepherd's Bush Green, Barons Court but Earl's Court...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      There's a park in Glasgow called Queens Park - it seems never to have had an apostrophe. Some claim that it's named for Queen Victoria - it's at the bottom of a street called Victoria Rd, & near a cluster of streets named after Albert, others that it's for Mary Queen of Scots, as it's close the the site of her final battle. Given the lack of apostrophe it's quite possible it was named for both.

(It's also a popular meeting place for gay men, but I don't think it was named for them.)

It also appears to have been renamed by its devoted friend's, Flossie ...

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
        It also appears to have been renamed by its devoted friend's
        But profitably so, by chance? (just thought I'd make an aside mention of the thread topic - hope no one objects thereto)...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          But profitably so, by chance? (just thought I'd make an aside mention of the thread topic - hope no one objects thereto)...
          No objection's from me, ahinton ...

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

No objection's from me, ahinton ...
            OK, so are you about to present us with yet more of your unique wisdom on the thread topic, apostrophically compromised or otherwise?...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
              • Jun 2014

OK, so are you about to present us with yet more of your unique wisdom on the thread topic, apostrophically compromised or otherwise?...
              Good morning, ahinton! I trust you had a good night and slept well.

Sadly, one's experience here is that the presentation of any recognisable form of wisdom is often immediately rejected rather than thoughtfully and graciously received. However, one must ever be up for the seemingly hopeless challenge, ahinton!

So, in line with your desire of returning to the thread topic, have you made up your mind yet whether #37 is basically an advocacy of the existence of "human nature" or did you mean something else, which Flossie expects you did and said was 'obvious', but, for some strange reason, is not revealing the nature of that "something else"?

I am most anxious to receive further benefit from your own very singular brand of wisdom on the matter, ahinton!

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Sadly, one's experience here is that the presentation of any recognisable form of wisdom is often immediately rejected rather than thoughtfully and graciously received. However, one must ever be up for the seemingly hopeless challenge, ahinton!
                I disagree and, in so doing, suspect that what you really refer to here is rejection of certain fruits of your own particular form of wisdom.

So, in line with your desire of returning to the thread topic, have you made up your mind yet whether #37 is basically an advocacy of the existence of "human nature" or did you mean something else, which Flossie expects you did and said was 'obvious', but, for some strange reason, is not revealing the nature of that "something else"?
                I had and have no need to "make up my mind" about this; see #39, re-read #43 and make up your own.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  The established point seems to be that there is NO 'right' and 'wrong' in this: simply usage and wont - or in Alpie's case, won't.
                  I see a correlation between businesses that don't understand apostrophes and those that don't understand the negative effect of their piped music - Morrisons, Currys, Dixons, Woolworths and Waterstones.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    I see a correlation between businesses that don't understand apostrophes and those that don't understand the negative effect of their piped music - Morrisons, Currys, Dixons, Woolworths and Waterstones.
                    The hordes are at the gates......... Woolworths?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      The hordes are at the gates......... Woolworths?
                      It is indeed a sign of the end of civilisation as we know it, which would be a good start.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

I had and have no need to "make up my mind" about this; see #39, re-read #43 and make up your own.

But ahinton, as you well know, #39 and #43 are the comments of S_A and Flossie, not your own.

#37 stated that we are all part of the system and we are all not only responsible for it but we ARE it!

Sounds very much like saying that as long as human beings are around nothing much is likely to change.

If that is what you meant to say, I'm delighted to inform you that my wisdom very much chimes with your own.

Shall we celebrate together this sudden and remarkable convergence of two quite unique wisdoms ..?

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

But ahinton, as you well know, #39 and #43 are the comments of S_A and Flossie, not your own.

#37 stated that we are all part of the system and we are all not only responsible for it but we ARE it!

Sounds very much like saying that as long as human beings are around nothing much is likely to change.

If that is what you meant to say, I'm delighted to inform you that my wisdom very much chimes with your own.

Shall we celebrate together this sudden and remarkable convergence of two quite unique wisdoms ..?
                          I'd leave the Dom PĂ©rignon uncorked if I were you. At the risk of stating the b***d**g obvious, of course many things have changed over the centuries in almost every conceivable walk of life and most such change has been at the hands of humans.

There's nothing new in the often not very gentle art of profit making but it has not always been anything like the near-universal global driving force that it has become. Humans managed without it once and humans have nevertheless since created and continue to create the means whereby it impacts upon most of life's commercial transactions.

"We" (or more accurately those who believe in and help to foster it) "are" the system and "we" (that's to say those humans who have done and continue to do so) have created it and maintain it but, as MrGG has stated on several occasions - mainly to your deaf ears, it would seem - it has never driven everything in life and likely never will - nor indeed should it and, if it were ever to do so, humanity would be very much the poorer.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Perhaps so, perhaps not - but does it actually matter? and in any case would or could it profit anyone to know one way or the other?

Thatcher used to say that capitalism (by which I assume her to have meant the profiteering aspect thereof) was about how to turn sixpence into a shilling which, when I heard it, made me wonder whether it would really be worth stealing that sixpence in order to find out...
                            Are you sure that was Thatcher? She was very good at coming out with things like that, I know.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

So now it's Profit v. Apostrophes. Are they connected issues or distinct ones?
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                Are you sure that was Thatcher? She was very good at coming out with things like that, I know.
                                I haven't time to look up that quote now but I am fairly sure that I recall at the time that it was indeed her (but fortgive me if it turns out that I'm wrong about that) - and let's not forget that she didn't exactly come from a gentrified background.

Comment

Working...
                                X