• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

R.I.P. Johan Cruyff

RIP Johan, one of the greatest ever

Netherlands, Ajax and Barcelona great Johan Cruyff - regarded as one of the greatest players of all time - dies of cancer aged 68.
  • P. G. Tipps
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35892775
    Indeed ...

These days the ubiquitous label 'Football Legend' seems to be pinned on just about everyone who can just about manage to kick a ball but, in J.C.'s case, it is fully justified.

One of the truly great footballers of all time and also a modest man of no little charm and patent intelligence.

Thanks for the wonderful memories, Johan ... R.I. P.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Truly one of the greats.

Poetry in motion.

We could only watch on in awe at the football he and his teams played in the early /mid 70's. Only a very, very few in his league.

Anybody on here see him play live?

RIP
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Too true Beefy. Back in '83 Feyenoord came to play St Mirren in a first round UEFA cup match. Ruud Gullit was at the beginning of his career, Johan Cruyff coming to the end of his playing career. It is one of those memorable matches. You could see that Gullit, who scored the winner, was a serious talent but the crowd (and their team) were all there to see only one man, Johan. He sat in the holding midfield and probably touched the ball about 10 times during the game, but every time he did there was a huge intake of breath from the crowd there to worship at the feet of one of the true greats, playing in one of the truly great arenas of sport, both now sadly gone.
        All the info on the match between St. Mirren and Feyenoord Rotterdam on September 14, 1983. Team lineup, scorers, assists, tactical disposition ...

Gone but never forgotten - greatest player never to win the World Cup...
        Last edited by johncorrigan; 24-03-16, 19:50. Reason: some good players in that Buddies' team back then.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Very sad.
          He and Rinus Michels brought us the art form that is total football,it deserved to win the 74 World Cup

and of course

RIP Johan Cruyff

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            Very sad.
            He and Rinus Michels brought us the art form that is total football,it deserved to win the 74 World Cup

and of course

RIP Johan Cruyff
            Yes indeed.

Total Footballer!

RIP Johan Cruyff

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Jimmy Calderwood is a good laugh - former Dunfermline and Aberdeen manager, he played in Holland when Cruyff came back there and said that he was given the job of marking the great JC on a number of occasions. He said that even at about 37 and on 60 fags a day Cruyff was still too fast and Jimmy couldn't get a kick at him.

Comment

Working...
              X