There are other forums where the interaction of music and politics may be disxussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

There are other forums where the interaction of music and politics may be disxussed

From a reecently closed thread:

And bullys.
    Oh the irony of it.

However, rules are rules, and those who run this forum do provide a link to the other message board set up when the old BBC Forum was closed. Perhaps the discussions terminated here could be continued there.
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Oh the irony of it.

However, rules are rules, and those who run this forum do provide a link to the other message board set up when the old BBC Forum was closed. Perhaps the discussions terminated here could be continued there.
    I would like to know where there are any decent forums to discuss the kind of things we are seemingly not allowed to discuss here. I would like to find some serious places, which don't descend into the equivalent of football hooliganism, which deal with current and future issues, including energy and climate change.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

And bullys
      Oh the irony of it.
      That's a misquote. FF always spells correctly.

Incidentally, I notice how little activity there is on the other forum . . .
      Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 13-03-16, 17:23.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        That's a misquote. FF always spells correctly.

Incidentally, I notice how little activity there is on the other forum . . .
        FF's original spelling was, as quoted, "bullys". She later revised it to "bullies".

Yes, the other forum is less busy of late. However, it is available for discussion of the issues raised in the closed thread(s). It has had its share of politically disruptive discussions and consequent withdrawal of membership in the past. The discussion of politics, including in specific reference to its impact on music, especially in Internet forums, will pretty inevitably lead to flaming. Controlling such behaviour is the unenviable task of moderators (elected in the case of r3ok).
        Last edited by Bryn; 13-03-16, 14:51. Reason: Typos (you know, like frenchie's). ;-)

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

FF's original spelling was, as quoted, "bullys". She later revised it to "bullies".

Yes, the other forum is less busy of late. However, it is available for discussion of the issues raised in the closed thread(s). It has had its share of politically disruptive discussions and consequent withdrawal of membership in the past. The discussion of politics, including in specific reference to its impact on music, especially in Internet forums, will pretty inevitably lead to flaming. Controlling such behaviour is the unenviable task of moderators (elected in the case of r3ok).
          Agreed, but that should not be a catalyst for the curtailment of all such discussion; if it were so in life outside the world of fora, nothing would ever get done or evevn legitimately argued in a civilised manner.
          Last edited by ahinton; 13-03-16, 19:51.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

It's a real shame that the discussion of something that has the potential to adversely effect musical life in the UK is deemed to be "Political" so not allowed.
            It would be good to discuss these things with people who ARE interested and involved in MUSIC.
            But that's the way it goes I guess

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              It's a real shame that the discussion of something that has the potential to adversely effect musical life in the UK is deemed to be "Political" so not allowed.
              It would be good to discuss these things with people who ARE interested and involved in MUSIC.
              The new one on Trump and music makes me wonder if the forum as a whole might close on the back of a perception of the undue risk of the potential that any and every possible subject started here might at least in part turn, by nature or force, into a party political discussion...

Here's another example. I just received an email from organist Jonathan Rennert of St. Michael's, Cornhill, London about another in a series of organ recitals there:

Referendum Logic. Paragraph 5,018, subsection 44

It's a good thing we are still in the E.U.
              It means that the organ at St Michael's Cornhill is allowed to sound completely French.

This week's recital (Monday 14 March, 1pm), by Robert Mingay-Smith, will bring to life the historic instrument's dramatic reeds, sonorous choruses and beautiful solo tone-colours in music by Bonnet, Francaix and Vierne.

The programme will include the French organist's version of Elgar's Enigma Variations: the Suite Carmelite is a series of movements depicting in sound the personalities of six Carmelite nuns.

How thankful we should be for the E.U.!

Admission free. Retiring collection.

Might this be viewed as a subject that ought not to be discussed here simply because Britain's future membership or otherwise of EU (a political matter if ever there was one, with a forthcoming referendum on it having been launched by the current UK government) would break the rules?

Where would one stop with this?
              Last edited by ahinton; 13-03-16, 19:52.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Sorry, I did start an attempt at a reasonable response, but decided it wasn't worth it. People will be put in pre-mod if they insist on flouting the rules.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Sorry, I did start an attempt at a reasonable response, but decided it wasn't worth it. People will be put in pre-mod if they insist on flouting the rules.

There seem to be some very short memories about why your approach is the only reasonable one, pragmatically-speaking, for this Forum.
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Sorry, I did start an attempt at a reasonable response, but decided it wasn't worth it.
                    That's a pity; I have no doubt that members here would have welcomed an opportunity to read what you would have written on this, whether or not they might have agreed therewith.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      I suspect that "party political" rather than merely "political" is the unfortunate stumbling block here.

I understand and accept that a certain forum rule has been put in place with a view to discouraging/prohibiting acerbic party-political slanging matches for their own sakes, but there's a material difference between that and discussing a proposal announced by the government of the day that looks set to risk affecting certain aspects of professional public music-making in UK when those involved in such activity are non-EU citizens working in UK; one might wonder whether, had such a proposal been made by, say, a large private equity company that had sufficient influence over such matters rather than by government itself, it might not have given rise to closure of the thread on political grounds. In any case, this is not of itself or by definition a specifically "party political" issue beyond the fact that the proposal has been announced by the party currently in power; had it instead been announced as something that the main opposition party sought to advocate (and yes, of couse I know that it hasn't), it would be of just as much concern to those who care about and participate in professional public music-making in Britain.

I for one would, for example, have been interested to witness discussion of how, whether and to what extent such a proposal, if successfully implemented (which is no certain in any case) might affect and impact upon self-employed musicians; I would also have been interested to read discussion of whatever MU's stance on it might be. None of that need - or indeed in all probability would - have led to acerbic party-political slanging matches of the kind that are quite understandably not tolerated here.

Too late now, though, it would seem.

Ah, well...
                      Last edited by ahinton; 13-03-16, 19:53.

Comment

Working...
                      X