• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Chuck or Keep?

The decennial spring clean has uncovered a box of minidiscs, lots of them with, mainly, recordings of Drama on 3. Apart from cataloguing them and treating them like most of my books - there should I ever want to consult (however unlikely that is) - is there really much point in keeping them?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    The decennial spring clean has uncovered a box of minidiscs, lots of them with, mainly, recordings of Drama on 3. Apart from cataloguing them and treating them like most of my books - there should I ever want to consult (however unlikely that is) - is there really much point in keeping them?
    You can't know, so keep them.

Comment

• Tevot
      • Nov 2010

Hello FF,

I'd Keep them - certainly if they don't occupy much space. I'm sure you'll have the opportunity to revisit them whether for the work itself or the particular rendition.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        You can't know, so keep them.
        - you'll only discover how much you need them when - and as soon as - you chuck them!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          - you'll only discover how much you need them when - and as soon as - you chuck them!
          Last time I bought a new hi-fi - some years back - I chose one that would play minidiscs, just in case. I may investigate how to digitise them though (assuming they're still in a fit state to play). It looks as if R3 drama was going through a brief golden period just then.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Does this thread just apply to music 'platforms' or do we widen it to general household clutter?

If the latter, I gave up years ago and our kids will ultimately have to hire a fleet of skips when we shuffle off the mortal coil.

If the former I've got boxes and boxes of reel-to-reel tapes in the attic which were bequeathed to me. I was contacted by the executor of the deceased (a man with whom I'd collaborated musically in the past) saying that Xxxx had left me something in his will. Great, I thought, it's his Bechstein grand (which I'd always admired). "He wanted you to have his collection of tapes". Oh dear. The bequest turned out to be endless recordings of The Third Programme...presumably items he'd fancied....but he'd done it via a microphone aimed at his ancient valve-radio speaker. Consequently the sound quality is abysmal...but do I have a valuable archive? I've never bothered to listen to more than a few, so maybe it's chucking time.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Last time I bought a new hi-fi - some years back - I chose one that would play minidiscs, just in case. I may investigate how to digitise them though (assuming they're still in a fit state to play). It looks as if R3 drama was going through a brief golden period just then.
              Minidiscs were hifi's biggest missed opportunity. They were easy to use, editable and compact. You should definitely keep them, but if you're going to chuck them, chuck them my way and I'll do you an appropriate deal for them.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                That's true - but it never stops me from getting rid of things. I suppose it's something to do with having been through five international housemoves (so far!) (not to mention the non-international ones) and having to be ruthless about disposing of irrelevant clutter. The occasional regret is more than outweighed by the general sense of not being attached to stuff.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                  • Nov 2010

Things become collectible, and therefore potentially valuable, when demand exceeds supply. That usually happens because most of the Things were discarded when they were of no perceived value. I know nothing of minidiscs, but I collect classical music on LP records. Many now command extraordinary prices, simply because when no-one wanted them, most were discarded. Now lots of people want them and there arent enough to go round. So keep! Put them in a box in the attic and forget them. Your heirs may bless the day you did.

For example, back in the nineteen eighties I bought an LP for perhaps forty quid, and everyone said I was mad to pay that much. I now see it go on Ebay for a couple of thousand.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

There are some operas (Henze L'Upupa, Adès The Tempest and others that interested me) and some concerts, but mostly plays. Random (as picked up) first 20:

Cymbeline Shakespeare
                    The Fire Raisers M Frisch
                    Fuenteovejuna F Lope de Vega
                    Don Carlos F Schiller
                    The Maids J Genet
                    War with the Newts K Capek
                    Daughter of the Air P Calderón
                    Mr Puntila and his Man B Brecht
                    The Lovers of Viorne M Duras
                    Much Ado About Nothing Shakespeare
                    Professor Bernhardi A Schnitzler
                    Playing with Fire/The Pelican A Strindberg
                    Portugal Z Egressy
                    The Provok'd Wife Sir J Vanburgh
                    Vieux Carré Ten. Williams
                    The Radetzky March J Roth
                    The Beaux Stratagem G Farquhar
                    Betrayal H Pinter
                    The Moving and the Still H Barker

That, for me, was a 'Golden Age', roughly 2003-2006. Abigail Appleton in charge.

[And as I see that's only 19, the 20th would be Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf E Albee]
                    Last edited by french frank; 11-03-16, 20:25.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

I've just got rid of dozens of videotapes. Lots of Proms, loads of R3 concerts etc all recorded off-air but they were taking up an enormous amount of space and I've no longer got the means to play them. Some got transferred to DVD before the video machine packed in.

I'm in phase three of a major spring clean and this very weekend I'll be chucking away dozens of cassette tapes. Again, lots of off-air concerts but the tapes are more than likely unplayable and again, nothing to play them on.

My 700 LPs are sacrosanct, though. The nostalgia/sentimental factor is very high and a good number were birthday/Christmas presents from my late parents so they mean a lot. Nothing to play them on either so perhaps it's all a bit silly?
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        I'm in phase three of a major spring clean and this very weekend I'll be chucking away dozens of cassette tapes. Again, lots of off-air concerts but the tapes are more than likely unplayable and again, nothing to play them on.
                        I still have a cassette player on my hi-fi, but I did throw out a lot of cassettes a few years back. Even though they were off-air recordings, most music seems to be replaceable with at least equivalents if not always quite equals.

But plays …

Thebans Sophocles
                        Volpone B Jonson
                        Macbeth Shakespeare
                        Arden of Faversham Anon
                        Days and Nights in Bedlam F. D'Aguiar
                        Stalingrad Kiss S Baczkievicz
                        Snow Orhan Pamuk
                        Embers S Marai
                        Troilus and Cressida Shakespeare
                        Hotel Cristobal C Phillips
                        Talking to Terrorists R Soans
                        An Ideal Husband O Wilde
                        Pericles Shakespeare
                        Voices H Pinter/James Clarke
                        The Sicilian Expedition J. Fletcher
                        Heart of Darkness Conrad
                        A Bequest to the Nation T Rattigan

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                          • Jun 2014

Think about this logically, fellow-members!

On the simple evidence before us there are two sound (!) reasons why french frank should hold onto her discs.

1) The very fact she asked for members' opinions on the matter suggests a clear reluctance to actually do the awful deed and wilfully dispose of them.

2) As some have already pointed out one of life's cruel little experiences is suddenly yearning for something that previously had been thrown out in the annual sacrifice on the Altar of the Great God, Spring Clean.

Find space somewhere, anywhere ... my old cassette tapes are neatly stacked away in a mains electric-switch cupboard for instance ... so boldly resist the sacrificial temptation, french frank, and save those precious little discs!

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

I agree with PGT.

It's always worth considering the ease of replacing items should the need arise later down the line.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                              Think about this logically, fellow-members!

On the simple evidence before us there are two sound (!) reasons why french frank should hold onto her discs.

1) The very fact she asked for members' opinions on the matter suggests a clear reluctance to actually do the awful deed and wilfully dispose of them.

2) As some have already pointed out one of life's cruel little experiences is suddenly yearning for something that previously had been thrown out in the annual sacrifice on the Altar of the Great God, Spring Clean.

Find space somewhere, anywhere ... my old cassette tapes are neatly stacked away in a mains electric-switch cupboard for instance ... so boldly resist the sacrificial temptation, french frank, and save those precious little discs!
                              I hope that there are no magnetic fields in your electric cupboard that have wiped the tapes.

Comment

Working...
                              X