X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    As for mortgages, I admit to never having dealt with such things so perhaps there are whole depths here that I don't understand.
    Clearly!

So, let's get this straight.

The late Sir George Martin worked with

Shirley Bassey, Cilla Black, David Bowie, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Sting, Jose Carreras, Elton John, Celine Dion and Stan Getz, amongst many others. He won 6 Grammys, 2 Ivor Novello awards, an Oscar Nomination and was awarded a Knighthood.

But you had to mention that he worked with convicted paedophile Rolf Harris?

So, my question to you sir, is why did you have to mention Rolf Harris? You could have chosen any number of collaborators but you chose him.

Comment

• Karafan
      • Nov 2010

RIP Sir George - I always had the greatest admiration for him and he was that intriguingly unique mixture of the popular and rather patrician.
      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

It's sad to hear of the end of another great life.
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          Yes indeed,very sad news

RIP Sir George

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

I recommend the album which George Martin recorded in 1998 - entitled 'In my life' with contributions from a number of artistes, some quite surprising. What is not surprising is the price hike (x5) on Amazon since this morning.
            Last edited by cloughie; 10-03-16, 00:28.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              So, my question to you sir, is why did you have to mention Rolf Harris? You could have chosen any number of collaborators but you chose him.
              I really don't wish to distract this thread from its subject but since you asked: I went looking for songs produced by George Martin where his contribution was massively higher in imaginative quality than the credited artist. My first port of call was GM's Wikipedia page. It contains a list of "selected non-Beatles hit records produced or co-produced by George Martin". The third and fourth items, and the first and second I could actually remember clearly (on account of my grandmother having had copies of the singles), were the aforementioned song by Charlie Drake, and "Sun Arise" by Rolf Harris. Nothing more sinister than that. You can check it for yourself.

As all my posts on this thread will indicate, I hold George Martin's work in extremely high regard and in fact have studied it quite closely, inspired to a great extent by Richard Niles' excellent book on pop arranging The Invisible Artist (based on his PhD thesis which I co-supervised), which contains transcriptions from and analyses of several of GM's arrangements. If I don't refer to him as "Sir George" this is only consistent with my never referring to anyone in this nonsensical way. His work is the only "honour" that should attach to his name, in my opinion.

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

Regardless of the name on the label, Sun Arise is an important record - arguably one of the first 'world music' hits (albeit, avant la lettre). I didn't know (but am not surprised to hear) that George Martin produced it.

His post-Beatles work is very distinguished indeed. The two best Jeff Beck albums (Blow By Blow and Wired) and Jimmy Webb's El Mirage, not to mention Apocalypse by the Mahavishnu Orchestra (I think he particularly enjoyed working with John McLaughlin).

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                  • Nov 2010

Today I've had a great time celebrating the life and career of Sir George Martin on other social media posting You Tube clips from the Beatles to Cribbins by way of Sellers and Matt Monro. So much entertainment to celebrate and eulogise upon but how much I regret that I popped in to the pages of the R3 Forum on my way home for a 'last one' only to discover that there's a bust-up going on.

This is the constant failing of the internet and the inability of certain contributors to know what would, respectfully, be best left unsaid, particularly in terms of sullying the day with Rolf Harris aspersions. No to mention the total lack of manners with which trollish johnny-come-latelys suddenly feel inclined to barge in to the parlour.

Would they really do this in the real world? Would they really smash bricks through the actual windows of the church as they so easily do on the internet.

As for those who respond and engage with such nonsense, while I understand their frustration, as FF suggests there IS the option of non-reaction.

Now, I can beat my chest and say I have had my guilty moments of engagement in the past, but not in a long time. It's just easier to walk away.

... now, apologies SIR George (a title well merited, in my opinion). I just wanted to say thank you for all the music and such great entertainment down the years. Lazily, and you won't have been surprised, the newsdesks all went for the 'Fifth Beatle' line, rather as if to intone 'The passing has occurred today of the wizard Merlin, known to many as the 13th Knight of the Round Table!'

You were GEORGE MARTIN and that's all we need to know. A name known throughout the industry and globally, even, as one of the great recording producers. I personally would characterise you as that rare beast of the recording industry, an everyman. This was how and why you successfully worked across such a range of styles seeing the very same challenges in Songs For Swinging Sellers as in Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Heart Clubs Band.

Aside from your technical surety of your craft, paramount to your success was your own personality and your great sense of engagement with those with whom you worked. Your success in coaching major studio egos, permitting them their largesse (to an extent) and the supreme tact with which you could rein them back in.

One of the my favourite stories (and the evidence is there on film) is recording 'Alfie' with Cilla Black and the song's composer Burt Bacharach. It's late, the last track of the session, everyone's tired and Burt Backache takes it all the way to (I think) take twenty.

Finally, you come on the talkback and say, 'Er, Burt ... just what exactly is it you're looking for?' In his pained way, Bacharach responds, '... that LITTLE bit of MAGIC!'

Skipping not a beat you reply, 'Well, I think you got it on take four. Do you want to come and have a listen?'

Now, that is class.

Thank you for the music, Sir George, which we'll be enjoying all the remainder of our days.

SHB

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                    Apocalypse by the Mahavishnu Orchestra (I think he particularly enjoyed working with John McLaughlin).
                    Now that did surprise me, I guess I must have been dimly aware of his involvement or at least read it on the cover, but now I'm going to have to listen to it again. Not tonight though, I wouldn't get away with playing it at suitable volume!

I just came across this hyperbolic but affectionate tribute in Rolling Stone: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...world-20160309

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                      Indeed. Sadly, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

RIP George, and thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X