• Dec 2011

In his life he has given us more!

RIP, and thank you, Sir George.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

I am very sad to hear of the passing of this great man. He always seemed such a true English gentleman. I loved those old comedy records by the likes of Peter Sellars and Bernard Cribbins that he produced long before I ever knew of him. Likewise with the Beatles songs, where I only found out about him and his enormous contribution to those great songs much later on. I love the string arrangement he did for Eleanor Rigby.
        The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby (Strings Only) HD 720p℗ Digital Remaster 2011 The copyright in this compilation is owned by Apple Corps Ltd/EMI Records Ltd

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

My teenage years, 1962 – 1970, coincided exactly with the Beatles era. I can still sing along to most of the songs and will never tire of them. One Sunday a few years ago we went to his garden in Coleshill, Oxon, which he used to open for charity under the National Garden Scheme. When we arrived the great man was sitting by the front gate taking the entrance money. I was so happy to be able to thank him personally for making the music of my youth.

Comment

• Stunsworth
            • Nov 2010

Sad news.

Listening to Revolver at the moment, my favourite Beatle's album. Great song made even better by the production.
            Steve

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

Didn't he produce that early 60s recording conducted by Lawrence Collingwood of the Lighter Elgar?

Comment

• zola
                • May 2011

George Martin thread anyone ?

Record producer Sir George Martin, known as the "fifth Beatle", has died at the age of 90.

Comment

• Don Petter

Started at 8am!

Comment

• makropulos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

Didn't he produce that early 60s recording conducted by Lawrence Collingwood of the Lighter Elgar?
                    RIP Sir George. He produced (or co-produced with Collingwood) quite a number of classical recordings in the 1950s as well, including two Boult RWV recordings - The Lark Ascending with Pougnet, and The Song of Thanksgiving.

Comment

• zola
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                      Started at 8am!
                      And I searched diligently for any sign of one since I hate duplicate threads ! Hosts feel free to delete this one but where is the 8am thread ?

Ok, found it in General Arts, please delete or merge this thread.
                      Last edited by zola; 09-03-16, 11:11. Reason: found thread

Comment

• Don Petter

In The General Arts.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Of course the inimitable (and highly diverse) sound of the Beatles couldn't have existed without George Martin's work, not just through his contribution to that sound with studio techniques and arrangement skills, but also though his producer's ear for memorable songs and how to encourage creativity in their composer/performers. The result is a body of work which was not only enormously successful in commercial terms but which is, in those fuddyduddy words, "standing the test of time" - my 13 year old daughter, for example, listens to contemporary pop music along with her peers but understands very well how much "better" the Beatles' music is, and carries around their complete recorded output on her phone.

I think it's worth mentioning that George Martin studied music at the Guildhall on a veteran's grant, having served in the navy after working as a surveyor's clerk for the War Office, coming from the kind of background which these days is increasingly unlikely to encourage young people to follow any kind of artistic vocation.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

I would think very likely - Collingwood probably recruited George as a producer as he was, I think, Head producer, or similar title at EMI in the mid 50s.
                            I think that George's cool approach was shown when the clips were shown when Cilla died of the contrast between him and Burt Bacharach when recording Alfie - after the 31st take Burt thought they had nailed it, George's aside was that he thought they had after the 2nd take!

Comment

• anotherbob
                              • Sep 2011

Got REVOLVER on the turntable. I'm 22 again.
                              "Rock and roll has the same function as classical music," he once said. "To make sounds that are appealing to a mass of people and are of some worth."

Comment

Working...
                              X