• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
    FGS stop this stupid innuendo.
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Agree with Jean - defining Clare Balding by her sexuality is very tedious .

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        I think the 'problem' with Rob Cowan is that he's essentially a music writer who got lucky with a broadcasting job. I suspect his interviews are not great because he's not a trained journalist and so finds it difficult to be probing with his subjects who often have a very limited knowledge of 'art music'. I've always felt that he's 'one of us' in that he has tremendous knowledge and enthusiasm so, IMHO, I'm prepared to forgive his shortcomings in other areas.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          I think the 'problem' with Rob Cowan is that he's essentially a music writer who got lucky with a broadcasting job. I suspect his interviews are not great because he's not a trained journalist and so finds it difficult to be probing with his subjects who often have a very limited knowledge of 'art music'. I've always felt that he's 'one of us' in that he has tremendous knowledge and enthusiasm so, IMHO, I'm prepared to forgive his shortcomings in other areas.
          I think his original 'broadcasting job' was on CD Review (or possibly the original Record Review). And then we had CD Masters . The 'problem' with a lot of things was the change in the content at the time CD Masters was dropped.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            The 'problem' with a lot of things was the change in the content at the time CD Masters was dropped.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

I think his original 'broadcasting job' was on CD Review (or possibly the original Record Review). And then we had CD Masters . The 'problem' with a lot of things was the change in the content at the time CD Masters was dropped.
              One of Radio 3 s biggest mistakes - bring it back and drop the dead donkey aka Essential classics - a fine example of fixing things that weren't broken and an inexhaustible source to call on.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                • Mar 2007

I've just listened to a recording of last Sunday's SM which was RC's last. At the end he announced that he would be presenting 'Rob's Gold Standard' on Saturday Classics, from 2nd April. Not sure whether this means he's taking over the whole programme or a part of it or whether he will be alternating (weekly) with other SC presenters. From the title it sounds as if it could be along the lines of CDM......

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                  I've just listened to a recording of last Sunday's SM which was RC's last. At the end he announced that he would be presenting 'Rob's Gold Standard' on Saturday Classics, from 2nd April. Not sure whether this means he's taking over the whole programme or a part of it or whether he will be alternating (weekly) with other SC presenters. From the title it sounds as if it could be along the lines of CDM......
                  More dumbing down
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                    Yes, I saw that in the advance programme news - still called Saturday Classics, though. It didn't know whether it was a bridging programme until something new started, but if that's the new programme title, it sounds as if the celeb spot is ditched.

I approve of the junking of the word 'Classics' (meaningless unless it implies 'classical' - in which case it's unnecessary on a station which is predominantly classical) but disapprove if it's to be 'Rob's Saturday Afternoon'. Bad move because Rob isn't sufficiently well known among non-R3 listeners to be any sort of draw, but at the same time will put off people who are less keen on him as a presenter: it makes it sound as if he's the central attraction.

Ed:Missed the point about alternating presenters - what's 'SC'? 'Sential Classics? Oh, Saturday Classics? So same deal, but sometimes with Rob presenting?

Gold Standard? When RW started introducing programmes containing the presenters' names, I remember suggesting CD Masters would become Rob 'n' Jon's Golden Oldies …
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      - Cowan isn't brilliant but is over exposed.
                      Absolutely agree, but Ardcarp's original comment re 'the Claire Balding of Radio 3' was about Tom Service.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

The 'problem' is Rob Cowan. People say that he is extremely knowledgable but it always seems to be 'anoraky' knowledge to me - he proclaims something 'wonderful' but doesn't say much about why. When he was on 'CD Masters' (such a mis-nomer, as most if not all the recordings were made before CDs existed - perhaps it should have been called 'CD Re-masters'?) he contrasted unfavourably with Jonathon Swain.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          Absolutely agree, but Ardcarp's original comment re 'the Claire Balding of Radio 3' was about Tom Service.
                          Tom Service is to present the new programme for younger listeners. I applaud such a programme, but very warily - for various reasons it seems like an uphill task these days. I think the quiet aim should be to find an 'adult audience' and just wait to see if a younger audience emerges. A 'childish' programme e.g. Making Tracks didn't work: didn't attract enough children (in spite of having the BBC Blue Peter/CBBC brands and attempts to link in with the schools) and was a no-no for adults. Tom Service … ? Not at all sure about that.

Comment

• Zucchini
                            • Nov 2010

Tom Service is to present the new programme for younger listeners. I applaud such a programme, but very warily - for various reasons...
                            In principle, a fully developed Symphinity (BBC Taster) has the potential to attract those individuals. I do agree that in an increasingly electronic, visual and fast moving world it's utterly ridiculous to expect young(er) people to accept audio-only information:

Symphinity is a new storytelling app that uses playlists to guide you through the history of classical music, introducing you to the artists who create it, the places and periods they inhabit and the worlds they create.

(Note the last comment on the blog!)

Comment

• johnb
                              • Mar 2007

Wasn't it Jonathan Swain who presented Record Review? The Wiki article on RC says edited "CD Review" for four years from 1985 though I'm not clear whether that refers to the Radio 3 programme or a magazine (I suspect the latter).

I remember that I had the strong impression, when listening to Jonathan Swain's final Record Review, that he was rather upset about leaving the job.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                                Wasn't it Jonathan Swain who presented Record Review? [...] I remember that I had the strong impression, when listening to Jonathan Swain's final Record Review, that he was rather upset about leaving the job.
                                Yes, he saw it out in July 1997 (but before that Richard Osborne had been a regular). Once the Proms had ended that year the new CD Review began with Andrew at the helm.

I don't think Rob ever presented the programme, though he might have appeared in it at some point - as he sometimes appears on CD Review. I'm not sure at what point he first became a 'BBC voice'. It would be very like RW to have nabbed him as a Classic FM voice who might have wider appeal than for the 'stuffies' of Radio 3 .

What seems baffling is the number of experienced presenters kicking their heels, often as continuity announcers or newsreaders - and who would be well able to present (and have presented) programmes: Jonathan S, John Shea, Paul Guinery. Rob, on the other hand (and I'm not saying anything against him) and Sean seem to have been on the longer daily programmes since forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X