X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Amazon seller account scam?

I've got an Amazon Seller account, which doesn't see much actio as I don't sell much on it. I have, however, recently sold a book. Not long after I had an email, purportedly from Amazon, saying that "the payment was cancelled because the credit or debit card information registered on your Amazon.co.uk Selling on Amazon payment account is invalid. This information would be invalid if the card has expired or the billing address has changed." It then says that the credit card information must be updated, & says to go to the Selling on Amazon payments account for instructions on how to update my credit card details.

There's no link in the email, so it could be legitimate. However, when I went to my account it said my password was invalid (it worked when I logged in to process the sale a couple of weeks ago), so I had to change the password. The credit card details haven't changed since my last sale (possibly a year ago) - the address hasn't changed, neither has the card expired. When I log on to my account (with a new password) I can't get past a page that requires me to fill in my credit card details, to check past transactions or what details the y already have. It all looks distinctly fishy.

What I want to know is, if anyone here with a Sellers account has received a similar email at any time? What did you do - did you provide the information, or did you query it?
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I think you're right to be careful, even if you are inclined to think it genuine. Did the email address you by name?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

No, just 'Dear seller' - which in itself is a bit iffy. If it was a problem specifically relating to my account, they'd surely address me by name?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        No, just 'Dear seller' - which in itself is a bit iffy. If it was a problem specifically relating to my account, they'd surely address me by name?
        Yes, I think they would. 'Dear Seller' sounds like it's been doing the rounds. If you've just sold a book and you get your money, there's probably nothing to worry about.

I used to find that if I'd contributed to somebody's Just Giving page via PayPal I would often get a phishing email shortly after - from 'PayPal'.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          I received a message from Amazon which I could not be sure if it was genuine of not. I phoned Amazon customer service and asked if it was from them. It turned out to be a fake; the operator checked and found no email was sent to me on that day.

I can’t remember what number I phoned but this may be useful.

[ed.] This was not about selling (I have no seller’s account) but that shouldn’t make difference.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Thanks doversoul - I couldn't find a number on their site. I have sent in a report.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

I've had a few fake Amazon e-mails in the past year or two and they were really very plausible indeed, really very cleverly done. They were so good that one nearly got me.

Re being a seller on Amazon: I really can't see how anyone makes any money out of it. Not only that but you'd expend a lot of time and effort in making very little. I looked at it when wanting to dispose of some CDs and it was a complete non-starter.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ostuni
                • Nov 2010

What route did you end up using (for disposing of CDs)? Some time in the next year, I've got to do some serious downsizing - of both CDs and books.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
                  What route did you end up using (for disposing of CDs)? Some time in the next year, I've got to do some serious downsizing - of both CDs and books.
                  A fellow Forum member got in touch and bought the lot from me. It was what they call a win-win situation.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
                    My experience as a seller is that some sales are made but very slowly - certainly not a way of quick downsizing and competition from the pro merchants selling at £0.01 plus p&p does not help. £3 is about the minimum I would recommend to make it worthwhile and unfortunately that is way above market value for many CDs. There was a half-hearted attempt to set up a marketplace on these boards but it never took off.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      My experience as a seller is that some sales are made but very slowly - certainly not a way of quick downsizing and competition from the pro merchants selling at £0.01 plus p&p does not help. £3 is about the minimum I would recommend to make it worthwhile and unfortunately that is way above market value for many CDs. There was a half-hearted attempt to set up a marketplace on these boards but it never took off.
                      Some Amazon sellers charge ludicrously high prices. For example Linguaphone All-Talk Spanish varies in price from £50 (second hand) to up to £285.85 new. Both these extremes are ludicrous, because Linguaphone still sells this course - brand new at £50.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        Some Amazon sellers charge ludicrously high prices. For example Linguaphone All-Talk Spanish varies in price from £50 (second hand) to up to £285.85 new. Both these extremes are ludicrous, because Linguaphone still sells this course - brand new at £50.
                        I suspect that they are pushing their luck, or haven't a ****** clue. Certainly ones I 've put in matching the ludicrous are still on my shelf. Reminds me to look at some of my prices!

Comment

Working...
                        X