X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
    Definitely interesting, to me at any rate. I don't know if Britten was much of a fan of organised sport but he must have put some effort in on that day. Perhaps someone better acquainted with his views on cricket/other sports could enlighten me. Thank you for this archive reference.
    I think his love of tennis is well known ..... but from the same source

HOWSONS v. FARFIELD. This match was played on July 19th and
    24th, and resulted in a win for Farfield by
    79 runs. J? arfield won the toss, and chose to bat on a soft wicket. Play was restricted to an hour and a half before tea, during which Farrield
    scored 77 runs for the Ipss of five wickets. Everyone hit freely, Docker hitting two sixes off successive balls. On the second day Collin contributed a sound 30, before being caught
    when forcing trie pace. Wickets had been falling regularly, but a bright last-wicket
    stand brought the total to 153, Britten obtain- ing 23 not out, out of 33. When Howsons went in to bat, no one seemed
    to be confident in face of Collin, who in his second over performed the " hat-trick." A
    stand by Prins and Simon was broken by Craw- ford, who bowled them both in the same over, and after this, with the exception of Wake- ham, who hit hard all round the wicket, bats- men came and went quickly. There was an- other last wicket stand, which produced 25 runs, nearly all from Wakeham's bat, and was ended by Collin, who bowled him with a very good ball. The innings closed for 74, Collin, who bowled finely throughout the
    innings, taking eight wickets for 21 runs. The weather throughout was showery, and
    with the wet ball and slippery ground, the
    fielding on either side was indifferent. Scores :— Farfield : R. S. Crawford., st Prins, b Wykes, 18; B. Robarts, Ibw, b Simon, 10; H. C. R. Pearson, run out, 16; M. L. Docker, c and b
    Newsum, 21; J. O. Collin, c Seymour, b
    Wykes, 30; J. A. Ouseley, st Prins, b Simon, 3;'P. A. S. Roberts, b Holt, n ; J. C. Lind- sell, b Simon, i ; E. B. Britten, not out, 23;
    A. R. H. Williamson, run out, 8; extras, 7;
    total, 153. Howsons : C. A. L. Prins, b Crawford, 7; V. D. Wykes, c Docker, b Collin, o; D. W. G. Lee, c Crawford, b Collin, o; G. W. Holt, b
    Collin, o; F. D. N. Simon, b Crawford, 6;
    N. D. Wakeham, b Collin, 38; J. P. S. Packer,
    b Collin, i; H. P. K. Pooley, b Collin, 3; L. R. Seymour, b Oollin, i; R. Pershouse, c and
    b Collin, 9; G. H. Newsum, not out, 3; extras, 6; total, 74. Bowling :— Farfield: G. W. Holt, 12—3—26—2; F. D. N. Simon, 13—i—55—3; G. H. Newsum, 9—i
    —24—1; V. D. Wykes, 6—0—37—2; D. W. G. Lee, 2—i—4—o. Howsons : J. O. Collin, 16—9—21—8; M. L. Docker, 2—i—2—o; R. S. Crawford, 14—4— 45—2.

Apologies the text copying tool is a little flaky ........

Comment

• Historian
      • Aug 2012

So, a useful lower order batsman, albeit with no chance to show off his bowling skills on that occasion thanks to the all-conquering Collin. Thank you again.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

So, a useful lower order batsman, albeit with no chance to show off his bowling skills on that occasion thanks to the all-conquering Collin. Thank you again.
        Not a problem .... a question I stumbled across on the same avenue of research... Who were the 6 "English" bowlers who dismissed Sir Donald Bradman for a duck in a first-class match and which one of the 6 did it twice ... ????

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Joe Root is IMVVHO rather good ....... HS's favourite batsman/skipper is also putting in the occasional shift .....

Comment

• Historian
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Not a problem .... a question I stumbled across on the same avenue of research... Who were the 6 "English" bowlers who dismissed Sir Donald Bradman for a duck in a first-class match and which one of the 6 did it twice ... ????
            I missed this before and I have to confess I have no idea apart from Eric Hollies in the Don's last test. Do you still have the information to hand?

Root is pretty good, isn't he? Remember the days when 300 seemed a massive score?

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Joe Root is IMVVHO rather good ....... HS's favourite batsman/skipper is also putting in the occasional shift .....
              Bairstow Jr appears to be doing rather well as a stand in but the establishment seems to think not well enough to have a permanent place in either one day or test matches. Very strange!

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

I missed this before and I have to confess I have no idea apart from Eric Hollies in the Don's last test. Do you still have the information to hand?

Root is pretty good, isn't he? Remember the days when 300 seemed a massive score?
                With Hollies was it a case of Just One's Luck!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  With Hollies was it a case of Just One's Luck!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Bairstow Jr appears to be doing rather well as a stand in but the establishment seems to think not well enough to have a permanent place in either one day or test matches. Very strange!
                    Very much par for the selection course some might say .....

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Very much par for the selection course some might say .....
                      Probably part of a Lords' plot to keep him on the list to pprevent him contributing to Yorkshire's efforts to do well in the domestic County competitions!

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

The information wasn't quite to hand .... but was easy to find again, and to discover there were actually 7

Bill Bowes
                        Jack Davies - for Cambridge University
                        Giles Baring - Hampshire and a paid up member of the banking family .....
                        Gubby Allen
                        Bill Voce
                        Alec Bedser
                        Eric Hollies .....

Surprisingly in tests the Don had an unusually high percentage of ducks ......

Comment

Working...
                        X