X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

here's the great Barry Richards.

Many Happy days in my youth watching Richards, Greenidge, Roberts and Marshall .

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      Nope, really don't think so. Possibly there is a rule against head-high full tosses aimed to kill the batsman. Though in a gentlemanly way of course AKA the "beamer".

I recall a NZ bowler in the early 70s who got quite a few prestigious England wickets in Tests in this country with in-swinging full tosses that hit the wicket about bail-high. Massey?
      Fair enough.

P.S. But why would anyone want to kill a batsman?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Why only videos of batsmen? What about the tossers?

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
          Bob Massie was an Australian swing bowler who played in six tests, noted for his 16-wicket test debut at Lord's in 1972.

Sorry, we crossed, TS.
          I seam to remember he bowled all day other than for occasional breaks to take stomach pills!...and Denis Lillee had spells at the other end to make sure the England batters didn't get complacent.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            i always wondered what " Sunder in the mountains" meant.
            Ask beefy - something to do with the Stadium of Light - Play it again and again Sam!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

No, definitely not Massie then (I don't see very many wicket-taking full tosses in the posted clips).

The test I recall must have been after 1972 cos I wasn't quite a student then, able to spend all day in the college TV room, so probably 1973 or 74, just maybe 75. I seem to recall a slightly misty day, Day 1 of the match at a ground north of London. Could it have been something in the 1973 NZ tour? I see England won that series pretty comfortably judging by the scorecards, but I do recall TV commentators' amazement at how so many good batsmen were getting out to rank full tosses from an unknown bowler of, IIRC, no great pace.
              Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 13-02-16, 21:44.
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                Fair enough.

P.S. But why would anyone want to kill a batsman?
                You have clearly never bowled to a really good batsman........
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Ask beefy - something to do with the Stadium of Light - Play it again and again Sam!
                  I have just got 'round to checking the footie results. You are cruel.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    You have clearly never bowled to a really good batsman........
                    During my life, I have played in one game of Rugby and one game of cricket. In each case I shouldn't have bothered.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      During my life, I have played in one game of Rugby and one game of cricket. In each case I shouldn't have bothered.
                      'In the sweep of its appeal,its ability to touch every corner of humanity,football is the only game that needed to be invented.'

SIR Bobby Charlton

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                        'In the sweep of its appeal,its ability to touch every corner of humanity,football is the only game that needed to be invented.'

SIR Bobby Charlton

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          No, definitely not Massie then (I don't see very many wicket-taking full tosses in the posted clips).

The test I recall must have been after 1972 cos I wasn't quite a student then, able to spend all day in the college TV room, so probably 1973 or 74, just maybe 75. I seem to recall a slightly misty day, Day 1 of the match at a ground north of London. Could it have been something in the 1973 NZ tour? I see England won that series pretty comfortably judging by the scorecards, but I do recall TV commentators' amazement at how so many good batsmen were getting out to rank full tosses from an unknown bowler of, IIRC, no great pace.
                          Hadley? Dayle or Richard? Howarth?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                            '... its ability to touch every corner of humanity ...
                            Which suggests I'm either superhuman or subhuman - I don't mind which - as it doesn't quite touch me. Back on topic, have I ever mentioned the match in which I took 6 wickets for 3?
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Historian
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Back on topic, have I ever mentioned the match in which I took 6 wickets for 3?
                              That beats my best bowling figures by miles ff. Even more impressed than I was before.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                                That beats my best bowling figures by miles ff. Even more impressed than I was before.
                                Yes, but girlies' cricket . I guess I got the tailenders because their team managed to amass 45 all out
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X