X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I'm really stricken to hear the news of Pam's death - we enjoyed regular contact until she was admitted to a nursing home just over a year ago when her health seriously deteriorated. She would have been 86 in April and we often discussed the years of our youth in the 1940s - Pam was 9 months my senior! - and we recalled with a sense of instant rejuvenation, concerts, films and theatre of our era with 20/20 vision.

"...So, fare thee well -
    Now boast thee, death, in thy possession lies
    A lass unparallel'd -..." Antony & Cleopatra

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

How lovely and gratifying to read so many warm tributes to salymap from people here of quite different views and persuasions; not a single dissenting or disinterested voice, which is so wonderful to observe and so very well deserved - an example to us all, really...

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

I wonder if we all ought to dig out a Malcolm Sargent recording and play it in her memory - she was very loyal to those she knew and had heard . The loss of her sight and hearing was clearly very hard on her and the deterioration of her health after her fall was very sad indeed .

I remember also she loved the Campoli Elgar Concerto record and think I shall play that in her memory .

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            I wonder if we all ought to dig out a Malcolm Sargent recording and play it in her memory - she was very loyal to those she knew and had heard . The loss of her sight and hearing was clearly very hard on her and the deterioration of her health after her fall was very sad indeed .

I remember also she loved the Campoli Elgar Concerto record and think I shall play that in her memory .
            Salymap was quite fond of Sargent's recording of Ma Vlast with the RPO on EMI, which I happened to listen to last Sunday. It is a thrilling performance and great recorded sound, too -EMI on its usual excellent form.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

RIP - I went for Sargent/RPO in Holst's St. Paul's Suite

Comment

• marthe

May I add my wishes. Pam/salymap made me, an overseas visitor, feel welcome here. I loved reading about her days in music publishing, all stories told with warmth and wit. Over the past few years, I've stayed in touch with Pam by way of letters and cards to which her cousin Jenny graciously replied on Pam's behalf. I shall think of her as I play pieces conducted by those music legends with whom Pam was in contact. I wonder what will happen to Pam's Bramleys and her lovely garden. I have a picture of it in my mind's eye as we sometimes chatted about our gardens.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Very sorry to hear this news. Her posts were always interesting. I will particularly remember with affection her memories of a key production of Coleridge-Taylor's Hiawatha in London and her receiving music from a wide range of composers including Alan Bush, Geoffrey Bush and a rather wild Joseph Holbrooke who has become a favourite ever since.

Comment

• alycidon
                    • Feb 2013

I have only just caught up with this sad news. It was salymap who alerted me to the existence of this forum some while after the original Radio 3 forum closed - I was a member of that one, but how she got the message to me is anyone's guess.

Salymap and I had a shared interest in Cairn Terriers, and it was at her behest that I have used a photo of Isla, our third Cairn Terrier as my avatar.

Very sad news.
                    Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Hear, hear!

Comment

• Daniel
                        • Jun 2012

Oh dear yes, sad news.

I remember her particularly starting some enjoyable list threads which took off in very interesting directions. She always sounded as if she was saying exactly what she meant, no weasel words, which in the jabbering world of the internet makes one pay attention I think. I remember reading of her decline in health and move to a home, and at the time couldn't help connecting it to my mother's own similar trajectory (extremely distressing for her and all of us) and thus felt a particular closeness to her fate. I hope she was as comfortable as could be. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                        X