X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Maurice White has died

The founder of Earth Wind and Fire has passed away.
    Yet another great musician gone.
    Not sure if there are many soul/funk fans on here but he wrote and performed some of the best ever.
    Pure class,a genius,so sad

Maurice White, founder of US soul band Earth, Wind & Fire, has died aged 74, his brother says.

RIP
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
    The founder of Earth Wind and Fire has passed away.
    Yet another great musician gone.
    Not sure if there are many soul/funk fans on here but he wrote and performed some of the best ever.
    Pure class,a genius,so sad

Maurice White, founder of US soul band Earth, Wind & Fire, has died aged 74, his brother says.

RIP
    'Fantasy' is my favourite of EW&F, Rob, but I have a precise memory of 'September'. I was a passenger on this 'beat-up' bus from Istanbul to Dehli in September '79. We were in the Eastern regions of Turkey, probably Kurd country, and everybody was hot, sweaty...God knows what it must have smelled like. I remember suddenly there was a downpour as the road dropped into this little river valley in the mountains. The driver stopped and we all streamed out into the rain as 'September' came on the cassette and we danced in the rain - buncha crazy deadbeats come alive. 'September' still takes me back to that moment of complete joy when I hear it. RIP Maurice White

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Sad.

Strong memory of a friend who brought up the LP "I Am" to my university digs in 1979 in an attempt to liberate some of his white friends from Joy Division et al!!

It wasn't successful, but the first three tracks and Boogie Wonderland are still burnt in my brain all these years later!

RIP Maurice and thanks for the music

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Sad.

Strong memory of a friend who brought up the LP "I Am" to my university digs in 1979 in an attempt to liberate some of his white friends from Joy Division et al!!

It wasn't successful, but the first three tracks and Boogie Wonderland are still burnt in my brain all these years later!

RIP Maurice and thanks for the music
        Kind of the same for me,Boogie Wonderland was part of another musical world really,but still hit the mark with meand my mates.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Another great artist gone! Goodness!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

My memory is a bit vague but it was the time when The Beatles had become a bore and Simon & Garfunkel were coming out of everybody’s ears, EWF sounded like a blast of fresh air (unless I’ve got a wrong group). Whilst their music wasn’t my taste, I loved their name. I was doing a Saturday job at a record shop then. A happy memory.

R.I.P.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Craig Charles did a tribute on his Funk'n'Soul show last night playing EW&F 1976 record 'Spirit' - their 7th LP...hadn't realised they'd been going so long. Great stuff. It starts about an hour and 45 mins in.
              Craig pays tribute to Maurice White from Earth, Wind & Fire, who passed away recently.

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

One of the best, with a great recorded legacy. Who can resist 'September'.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

RIP Maurice White. Earth Wind and Fire were a significant and substantial soul/funk band. When the news broke, there was a feeling of wanting to think beyond the obvious hits and a wish perhaps to categorise them more decisively. I'm not sure that it turned out to be easy. Certainly at the start of the 1970s - their lesser known years - it could be said that there was some sort of parallel with the Temptations who could produce the sweetness of a "Just My Imagination" and the grittiness of a "Psychedelic Shack". By the end of the decade, and notwithstanding the emergence of the likes of Funkadelic, there was a parallel with the Commodores who were abandoning the funkier approaches in, say, "Machine Gun" for the commercial "Three Times a Lady". However, with E, W and F any sweetness in the vocal and melody were generally incorporated into a funky, disco arrangements that weren't hugely removed from their origins. It wasn't overtly commercial. It was a halfway meeting in which the commercial partially came towards them. Other names that spring to mind are KC and the Sunshine Band and Kool and the Gang. But what is notable in EWF is their jazzier and even gospel sixties roots - the connection with the Ramsey Lewis Trio and so on - and at a push I think one could look at some of the colouring in their textures and contrast and compare even with a band like Steely Dan. My main point, inevitably given that I am such a fan of Charles Stepney, was that he made a big difference about a third of the way into their careers. That is recognised in the first of the clips that follow:

Earth Wind and Fire - Charles Stepney, DNA of EW&F - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ia4j36ksk
                  Earth Wind and Fire - Help Somebody (1970/1971) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIpTfGwEmt8

Earth Wind and Fire - Spasmodic Movements (Stepney) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8IKKh32YO4
                  Earth Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone (1979) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUCLNPOjPZw
                  Last edited by Lat-Literal; 11-02-16, 21:18.

Comment

Working...
                  X