Originally posted by Flay View Post
    An interesting conundrum, Ed.

Meantime I shall dollop the remaining coleslaw for my J:

Songs by Robert Johnson (c. 1583 – 1633): -
    Full Fathom Five,
    Hark Hark! the Lark, and
    Nothing on Earth
    Not forgetting:

Robert Johnson - Me and the Devil Blues Music video by ineke Goeswww.inekegoes.nl
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Don Kay, the Australian composer, wrote a String Quartet in 2000 with the title Memento Mori - which was also the title of Muriel Spark's 1959 novel. What this has to do with the City of Sunderland, I cannot fathom.

Comment

• edashtav
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Don Kay, the Australian composer, wrote a String Quartet in 2000 with the title Memento Mori - which was also the title of Muriel Spark's 1959 novel. What this has to do with the City of Sunderland, I cannot fathom.
        The Aussie does field at Third Man and you've identified the association with MS, Ferney. I suggest you look at the rest of his oeuvre to find the piece with a titular association with Sunderland. Nil desperandum!

Comment

• edashtav
          • Jul 2012

All you've written about the second, or Greek,Kay, is, of course, spot on , so it's just the loose association between the City of Sunderland and an orchestral work by The Don that needs definition.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
            ?......... City of Sunderland and an orchestral work by The Don that needs definition.

One presumes Legend was a piece about Len Shackleton .... ???

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              One presumes Legend was a piece about Len Shackleton .... ???
              I fear not, Len's Lens was insufficiently powerful to project his image Down Under, Anton. More likely Legend told of Tasmanian Devils. I've given a clue to the true link in a previous response to Fernie. Q.V.

As it's now merely a matter of time, I must recognise that Fernie is no Learner but the Learned One ( I though Bear vs Boor might cause at least a day's delay) and he should conjure a suitable Legend for the Letter L. And now to pack and catch trains and buses...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

I had spotted the "bear with" in #1669, the original poser, so went off to bed thinking of WW's The bear only to wake up this morning no wiser but with the conundrum apparently solved!
                I look forward to understanding it all, though!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I've given a clue to the true link in a previous response to Fernie. Q.V.
                  Well, I have spent some time researching the history of the Soender Land, and now know lots more about its being sundered by the river Wear from the monastry at Monkwearmouth (or, possibly, being founded on land divided - sundered - by the river) as well as a nasty myth spread by Geordies about the patriotism of the Mackems which is self-evidently historically incorrect, which I can add to my previous knowledge of shipbuilding. But connections with the titles of any of Don Kay's orchestral works, or with the City's latin motto (originating in the latin phrase "Manchester City, Seven - Sunderland, Nil: Desperandum!") can I find none - so I'll pass on that aspect and close the coalhouse sloor:

Three composers with the Kafkaesque surname Kay:

A) Norman Kay: wrote incidental Music to the Pilot and two further Doctor Who stories (The Tribe of Gum and The Sensorites) and a Cantata called King Herod. (As well as writing the Oxford Studies of Composers book on Shostakovich.)

B) Ulysses Kay: like Walton (and financed similarly by the Koussevitsky Foundation - part of a whole Koussevitsky range of make-up products) wrote a one-act opera based on Chekhov's "joke in one act", Медведь (which can be translated either as "The Bear" or "The Boor") - and which was included in Michael Frayn's evening of Chekhovian entertainment, The Sneeze. (The connection with "the other K" lies in that association, but that's for a much later day.)

C) Don Kay: wrote a String Quartet with the same title as Muriel Spark's 1959 novel Memento Mori, and who builds ocean liners in the spare bedroom of his Tasmanian home. Or something. (I could've got a connection with Del boy!)

"Learned One"? I knew next to nothing of any of the composers before this puzzle - but as soon as you bring in Doctor Who ... The Pointless jackpot awaits me! (And I've also got the Shostakovich book.)
                  Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 28-07-16, 10:59.

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    I look forward to understanding it all, though!
                    So was I...

Brilliant sleuthing ferney
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                      Brilliant sleuthing ferney
                      Thank you - but full marks to ed for a super puzzle.

Comment

• edashtav
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Thank you - but full marks to ed for a super puzzle.
                        You were the star, Ferney, full marks for expeditious endeavour!

Well, well : I've arrived home and one clue remains.

Nil Desperandum, Auspice Deo : Don't Despair ('cos) God is on our Side is the motto of the City of Sunderland. (Always useful when your side is close to the bottom of the Premiership. For those not versed in football, Sam Allardyce, aka GOD saved Sunderland. Now, he's been given the job of Saving England after Brexit, or was it Euroexit?)

Auspice Deo is an early (1962) orchestral work by the Tasmanian composer Don Kay.

Everything else has been made clear by Ferney.

As for "Bear With" : that was my unconscious at work!

But... my use of Nil Desperandum in response to Ferney was supposed to be helpful.

{Truth to tell, I was so busy, yesterday, that I made up a question for "L" instead of Kay! So... next time, you're all poised on "K", please help me to win, I'm longing to get my "L" out in the open before I forget it!}
                        Last edited by edashtav; 28-07-16, 16:07. Reason: missing characters

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

You were the star, Ferney, full marks for expeditious endeavour!

Well, well : I've arrived home and one clue remains.

Nil Desperandum, Auspice Deo : Don't Despair ('cos) God is on our Side is the motto of the City of Sunderland. (Always useful when your side is close to the bottom of the Premiership. For those not versed in football, Sam Allardyce, aka GOD saved Sunderland. Now, he's been given the job of Saving England after Brexit, or was it Euroexit?)

Auspice Deo is an early (1962) orchestral work by the Tasmanian composer Don Kay.

Everything else has been made clear by Ferney.

As for "Bear With" : that was my unconscious at work!

But... my use of Nil Desperandum in response to Ferney was supposed to be helpful.

{Truth to tell, I was so busy, yesterday, that I made up a question for "L" instead of Kay! So... next time, you're all poised on "K", please help me to win, I'm longing to get my "L" out in the open before I forget it!}
                          I think your link was Wearing a little as I searched in vain for links to the Stadium of Light and Juke boxes and Bob Stokoe!

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

We seem to be waiting an L of a time .... Like for summer .....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              We seem to be waiting an L of a time .... Like for summer .....
                              I was hoping no one would notice. Shall post early tomorrow.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Very well, then - another double letter one:

One moved from Trinidad to the Arctic;
                                Another put on Airs and Graces (but Don't Mention the War);
                                The third (followed by much Internet activity) produced Songs of Spring (to say nothing of the Offspring Songs).

What the L?

Comment

Working...
                                X