X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

OK, I'm biting the bullet, not least as I've pondered presumptuously on an R.

Ferney's Q has to be Québec, as I'm sure others have worked out.

There, we have the Front de libération du Québec (or indeed Réseau-Liberté-Québec, a group promoting libertarian views).
    Andrée Champagne (a performer and personality, apparently!) was born in Sainte-Hyacinthe, Québec.
    Canadian composer Pierre Mercure was born in Montréal, Québec.

When my PhD supervisor quit one year into my programme, I tried to transfer from the university I was at (University of New Brunswick) to McGill in Montreal. Though I was accepted, the Parti Québecois was in control at the time, and I think that the funding to English-speaking institutions was reduced, so I was unable to go. Luckily, arrangements were sorted out at UNB (nominal faculty member supervisor), where I kept my funding. How times have changed for today's students: all my university time (four-year course at Oxford and my postgraduate studies abroad) was funded. I was still a poor student, but didn't emerge with thousands of pounds/Canadian dollars of debt!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Ferney's Q has to be Québec, as I'm sure others have worked out.
      (and )

Canadian composer Pierre Mercure was born in Montréal, Québec.

There, we have the Front de libération du Québec (or indeed Réseau-Liberté-Québec, a group promoting libertarian views).
      Andrée Champagne (a performer and personality, apparently!) was born in Sainte-Hyacinthe, Québec.
      ... erm ... Not what's on "the card", I'm afraid. Much more classically straightforward - Claude Champagne and Alfred La Liberté are both "famous composers" (WIKI) from Quebec! Nonetheless, in all other respects a perfect answer! We shall look forward to seeing your presumptuous R.

When my PhD supervisor quit one year into my programme, I tried to transfer from the university I was at (University of New Brunswick) to McGill in Montreal. Though I was accepted, the Parti Québecois was in control at the time, and I think that the funding to English-speaking institutions was reduced, so I was unable to go. Luckily, arrangements were sorted out at UNB (nominal faculty member supervisor), where I kept my funding. How times have changed for today's students: all my university time (four-year course at Oxford and my postgraduate studies abroad) was funded. I was still a poor student, but didn't emerge with thousands of pounds/Canadian dollars of debt!
      Oh, don't get me started - the way that young people have been so callously dumped on by the generation who most benefited from student grants ...
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Thanks for accepting my not exactly matching suggestions!

A less contentious poser (one with fewer points of contention) I hope.

Rocky birds of prey, an addition to Paul's legacy, and an alternative sea interlude?
        Who is the R?

Comment

• Flay
          • Mar 2007

an alternative sea interlude
          Can I assume that isn't the obvious BB?
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Flay View Post
            Can I assume that isn't the obvious BB?
            You'll understand when you see the answer (I hope).
            This alternative interlude, though it may appear grimy, is actually an eight-section orchestral suite!

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

Flounder..... Flounder....

All Previous Runs for Horse Sea Interlude (GB) All runs, Wins, Entries and declarations

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                Flounder..... Flounder....
                Nothing fishy, except that R composed much of his music in a plaice (groan) that could be thought of as having chippy connections......but don't get distracted by that.

The interludes are titled.

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

actually an eight-section orchestral suite!
                  I'm now distracted having found Radio 4's programme Tales from the Stave about Appalachian Spring. Thanks!
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Is everyone in hiding?
                    Didn't I read on the old thread that we took a break till Advent? (I didn't really understand the comment, and I was similarly confused about coleslaw!)
                    Perhaps we've all had enough?

Happy to drop another hint if you don't want to wait till Sunday morning.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Didn't I read on the old thread that we took a break till Advent? (I didn't really understand the comment, and I was similarly confused about coleslaw!)
                      We did, but it was unintentional - I set a puzzle that shut the Thread down for ten months (so much so, that I'd forgotten what the answer was and had to work it out!)

Perhaps we've all had enough?
                      The trouble is that there are only about six of us playing, and the alphabetical possibilities have worn a little thin since the early days. It's still fun to play, but the prospect of setting the next puzzle, sometimes just three letters from your previous one, can put us off from "publishing" thoughts. Maybe the rules need a reboot?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        The trouble is that there are only about six of us playing, and the alphabetical possibilities have worn a little thin since the early days. It's still fun to play, but the prospect of setting the next puzzle, sometimes just three letters from your previous one, can put us off from "publishing" thoughts. Maybe the rules need a reboot?
                        Ah! That's why I was welcomed aboard so fulsomely!
                        Yes, having to come up with clues is as daunting as coming up with possible solutions, if not more so.
                        I had a good set for M but then didn't solve the L.

And I've little idea what has been chosen previously!

Comment

• subcontrabass
                          • Nov 2010

And I've little idea what has been chosen previously!
                          Don't worry. We long ago abandoned the early rule against repeats of answers as long as the clues are different.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Would "Paul" be Tortelier?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Would "Paul" be Tortelier?
                              No, but the hand whose fingers move is the same, and is relevant.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

No, but the hand whose fingers move is relevant.
                                Aha! Wittgenstein?

Comment

Working...
                                X