• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    No......Arthur Benjamin's Tale of Two Cities.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

No......George Bristow's A Winter's Tale Overture.........and it could be Somervell and fairy-tales.........it could be anything!
      Well, the last one is based on a very famous set of tales, but the composer chose not to include the word in the title he gave to what has become his most frequently performed work.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Tale of Porgy and Bess.

No.....or possibly yes.

If not, it's the fables or Grimmish.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Tale of Porgy and Bess.
          No.....or possibly yes.
          If not, it's the fables or Grimmish.
          None of those - closer to home. I say the work in question is his most "frequently" performed, but that's more because his other stuff is hardly ever performed at all. Poor guy, but he didn't work in a vacuum.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

None of those - closer to home. I say the work in question is his most "frequently" performed, but that's more because his other stuff is hardly ever performed at all. Poor guy, but he didn't work in a vacuum.
            I have been through all the Georges and what you are saying really suggests to me George Lloyd.

If not Benjamin, Fenton, Henschel, Jeffreys.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

I have been through all the Georges and what you are saying really suggests to me George Lloyd.
              - not me, officer! Obviously missed out at least one George - who didn't work in a VACUUM.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

If not Benjamin, Fenton, Henschel, Jeffreys.
                Not.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Not.
                  Dyson.

It's probably The Canterbury Pilgrims but.....no you are right.

I was thinking of another work with which I am more familiar and realised I had gone off track.

It is by Alwyn.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Dyson.

It's probably The Canterbury Pilgrims
                    - it is, indeed; based on Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

So, a trio of tales;

David Essex (né Cook)'s 1982 single A Winter's Tale
                    Arthur Benjamin's 1950 opera, A Tale of Two Cities
                    George Dyson's 1930 cantata The Canterbury Pilgrims after Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

Well - that was told with sound and fury, so this idiot hands the podium over to U

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Here is an easy one for U:

How might Henry's modernists, a composer who needed a bow and the angel of a European symphony combine in excitation (that is close to a rhythmic masterpiece)?
                      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 28-01-17, 11:17.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

- it is, indeed; based on Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

So, a trio of tales;

David Essex (né Cook)'s 1982 single A Winter's Tale
                        Arthur Benjamin's 1950 opera, A Tale of Two Cities
                        George Dyson's 1930 cantata The Canterbury Pilgrims after Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

Well - that was told with sound and fury, so this idiot hands the podium over to U
                        Well done lat, you really worked at that one. Once Essex was revealed I was on the edge of goal poaching Tale but it would not have been fairplay. U are the deserved winner!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Well done lat, you really worked at that one. Once Essex was revealed I was on the edge of goal poaching Tale but it would not have been fairplay. U are the deserved winner!
                          Thanks cloughie - that's very good of you.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Here is an easy one for U:

How might Henry's modernists, a composer who needed a bow and the angel of a European symphony combine in excitation (that is close to a rhythmic masterpiece)?
                            I have a feeling it may be U for Ultra ... due solely to Henry Cowell's "ultra-modernists". Can't fit the rest in though, I was toying with Antheil who was one of the gang and must have written a couple of his symphonies in Europe... plus Ballet Méchanique I guess is a rhythmic masterpiece... But I can't find an angel or a bow...

Off-piste: this seems surreal enough to be wiki-nonsense...

Antheil ... considered himself an expert on female endocrinology, and wrote a series of articles about how to determine the availability of women based on glandular effects on their appearance, with titles such as "The Glandbook for the Questing Male".
                            Another book of "glandular criminology" was titled "Every Man His Own Detective".

Antheil's interest in this area brought him into contact with the actress Hedy Lamarr, who sought his advice about how she might enhance her upper torso. He suggested glandular extracts, but their conversation then moved on to torpedoes.

In 1941 he and Hedy Lamarr developed a radio guidance system for Allied torpedoes that used a code (stored on a punched paper tape) to synchronise random frequencies, referred to as frequency hopping, with a receiver and transmitter. This technique is now known as spread spectrum and is widely used in telecommunications.

but appears to be true! http://www.invent.org/honor/inductee...etail/?IID=489
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              I have a feeling it may be U for Ultra ... due solely to Henry Cowell's "ultra-modernists". Can't fit the rest in though, I was toying with Antheil who was one of the gang and must have written a couple of his symphonies in Europe... plus Ballet Méchanique I guess is a rhythmic masterpiece... But I can't find an angel or a bow...

Off-piste: this seems surreal enough to be wiki-nonsense...

Antheil ... considered himself an expert on female endocrinology, and wrote a series of articles about how to determine the availability of women based on glandular effects on their appearance, with titles such as "The Glandbook for the Questing Male".
                              Another book of "glandular criminology" was titled "Every Man His Own Detective".

Antheil's interest in this area brought him into contact with the actress Hedy Lamarr, who sought his advice about how she might enhance her upper torso. He suggested glandular extracts, but their conversation then moved on to torpedoes.

In 1941 he and Hedy Lamarr developed a radio guidance system for Allied torpedoes that used a code (stored on a punched paper tape) to synchronise random frequencies, referred to as frequency hopping, with a receiver and transmitter. This technique is now known as spread spectrum and is widely used in telecommunications.

but appears to be true! http://www.invent.org/honor/inductee...etail/?IID=489

Well done Caliban for spotting that Henry's modernists are Henry Cowell's Ultra-Modernists. You are spot on with that part of the clue. But "ultra" is not the answer on the card. The only female composer in that group was Ruth Crawford. The composer in the second part of the clue was a Canadian woman. She sounds like she could have had another Ruth as a neighbour along with Franks and Gabriel. As for the third part of the clue, you are looking for a seventh symphony. I loved the stories about Antheil which I had never heard before.
                              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 28-01-17, 21:27.

Comment

• Flay
                                • Mar 2007

There are bloomin' tons of clues here but they're getting me nowhere
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X