X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arancie33
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Obviously none of us were alive during WW2 so is it just nostalgia for our more innocent childhood years when we watched it?
    Are you being ironic, sarcastic or do you really mean that? Some of us certainly remember going to school with gas masks and Mrs A was both bombed out and an evacuee.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

doesn't the story go that when the idea of appearing in DA was first put to John Laurie he said the whole project was "doomed" - hence his catchphrase ?

[apologies if that story appears in the programme we're talking about]

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        It is a very good cast - I am not going to prejudge the film .
        .... just even things up....I'm prejudging it....the ubiquitous Toby Jones smells wrong....
        bong ching

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          .... just even things up....I'm prejudging it....the ubiquitous Toby Jones smells wrong....
          The cast does look impressive - but if that trailer is supposed to represent the film at its best, then ... it's Doooomed, I tell ye: Doooooooooooomed!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Anastasius
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Why is Dad's Army so popular still - everyone's seen every episode yet we still watch, and still laugh! Obviously none of us were alive during WW2 so is it just nostalgia for our more innocent childhood years when we watched it?
            I think a lot has to do with the script and they seemed to pack a lot into the 30 minute slot. Still thoroughly enjoyable and the OP programme is excellent.
            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              The cast does look impressive - but if that trailer is supposed to represent the film at its best, then ... it's Doooomed, I tell ye: Doooooooooooomed!
              Aeeeeye that's what we are like ....predisposed to a bit of doooom in the morning, smells like Toby Jooooooones.......
              bong ching

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Excellent review of the original show by Alan Coren...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                  There's still time to catch this delightful nostalgic play about the conception and casting of Dad's Army

We're Doomed! The Dad's Army Story: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06t3m7t

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
                  I saw the new Dad's Army film last week and found it wonderfully entertaining.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Excellent review of the original show by Alan Coren...

....what a gift in writing that Coren had....spot on....
                    Last edited by eighthobstruction; 15-02-16, 16:33. Reason: left bad grammar for you to narf at....spot on....Spot
                    bong ching

Comment

• Once Was 4
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                      ....what a gift in writing that Coren had....spot on....
                      With regard to Coren's last witty comment: these 'fools' in Kent, in real life, must have known that, had the invasion actually taken place, they would have made nuisances of themselves for a couple of hours and allowed the people further back to put certain plans into action - but they would not have lived to tell the tale.

To this day, historians argue as to why the invasion did not take place (assuming that it did not - the father of a student friend of mine maintained that it did - but Churchill ordered something so appalling to be done in order to repel it that nobody dared to admit to it afterwards. Believe that if you will bearing in mind Dresden!) To the 'fools' the invasion was a given - and they were prepared to sacrifice themselves for the common good. Looking at the mess that has been made since the two world wars, one wonders if those like them made the right choices. I know an opera singer who thinks that if Britain was defeated, it would now proudly boast a host of opera houses and other cultural jewels.

Just for the record, I am an avid Dad's Army fan but I am also a great respector of the prototypes and could not refer to them as 'fools' (and yes, I know that Coren was probably likening them to the Rude Mechanicals - I know that play too).

I was once called a 'myseryguts' - can't think why!

Comment

Working...
                      X