X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
    My youngsters were very sad today (as I was) to hear of his passing. "Snape's dead!" I agree with EA that no one could have played the part better. In my own vho, easily the most compelling character in the Harry Potter films. An enormous screen presence in everything I saw him in, from Robin Hood to Truly, Madly Deeply.

I would concur completely, Tapiola. My daughter texted me with exactly the same words - distraught she was.

Comment

• Tapiola
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      I would concur completely, Tapiola. My daughter texted me with exactly the same words - distraught she was.
      Yes, john, The last few days have been a steep learning curve for my two (combined age 17): David Bowie (of whom they had heard), "Snape" and the cat has gone missing...

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
        Yes, john, The last few days have been a steep learning curve for my two (combined age 17): David Bowie (of whom they had heard), "Snape" and the cat has gone missing...
        My son said, 'Lemmy, Bowie and Snape...that's an interesting three to let go.' Hope you find the cat safe and well.

Comment

• Tapiola
          • Jan 2011

Yes indeed john, and all the same age, more or less, and to the same condition. All very strange.

And thanks!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
            Wasn't he also the Sheriff of Nottingham opposite Kevin Costner's Robin Hood with the best give of a line any villainous actor could hope to get ... ' and CANCEL Christmas!!!!' ?
            Indeed.... but (and shb, please don't think I'm stalking you with my small-print-reading magnifying glass! ) the quote was "...and CALL OFF Christmas!!"

(I only know because it was just featured on the News at 10!)

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Juliet Stevenson movingly interviewed by Emily Maitlis on Newsnight last night here - starts at about 23.50. JS had evidently just come to the studio from a gathering at AR's home.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
                • Nov 2010

'The Barchester Chronicles' one of my Desert island DVDs. RIP Alan Rickman.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Wonderful words from Ian McKellan:

"He and Rima Horton (50 years together) were always top of my dream-list dinner guests. Alan would by turns be hilarious and indignant and gossipy and generous - all this delivered sotto, in that convoluted voice, as distinctive as Edith Evans, John Gielgud, Paul Scofield, Alec Guinness, Alastair Sim or Bowie, company beyond compare.

"On [the set of the film Rasputin], he discovered that the local Russian crew was getting an even worse lunch than the rest of us. So he successfully protested. Behind his starry insouciance and careless elegance, behind that mournful face, which was just as beautiful when wracked with mirth, there was a super-active spirit, questing and achieving, a super-hero, unassuming but deadly effective.

"I so wish he'd played King Lear and a few other classical challenges but that's to be greedy. He leaves a multitude of fans and friends, grateful and bereft."
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Indeed.... but (and shb, please don't think I'm stalking you with my small-print-reading magnifying glass! ) the quote was "...and CALL OFF Christmas!!"

(I only know because it was just featured on the News at 10!)

No, Caliban ... you're not stalking me as I later checked the quotes section on IMDB and saw that it was uttered so. 'CANCEL Christmas' has sat in my memory so and for decades, I have not the heart to correct it.

Btw, as one of life's born pedants, I'll never balk at being corrected. Far better that than to be the club bore who always remembers it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X