X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Alan Rickman RIP

Much-loved star of stage, TV and films including Harry Potter and Die Hard – and owner of one of the most singular voices in acting ­– has died in London
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I remember him as a wonderful stage actor. With Lindsay Duncan in Les Liasions Dangereuses just one memorable appearance - neither of them well enough known in those days to be cast in the film.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Yes, he will be much missed. Very under-rated as actor - gripping onstage and with a wonderful sense of comic timing.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
        I remember him as a wonderful stage actor. With Lindsay Duncan in Les Liasions Dangereuses just one memorable appearance - neither of them well enough known in those days to be cast in the film.
        We only saw him on stage once and it was a very memorable as Jacques in As You Like It with RSC at Stratford in the 80s - with Juliet Stevenson as Rosalind.

A top favourite TV role must be the odious curate, Obadiah Slope, in the Barchester Chronicles.

Just heard Michael Gambon on the radio - so moved and shocked he couldn't keep the interview going.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

I first saw him as the Reverend Obadiah Slope. A brilliant performance, amongst a stellar cast.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Another of nature's true gentlemen gone.

R.I.P Alan Rickman.

Comment

• Tevot
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
              I first saw him as the Reverend Obadiah Slope. A brilliant performance, amongst a stellar cast.
              My experience too

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

What a great actor, how sad - unforgettable voice. Screen only in my case - I first spotted him in "Truly Madly Thespily" (as Private Eye wickedly dubbed it), and of course as Slope, above. A magnetic, screen-filling presence as his Hollywood blockbuster villains (Gruber, Sheriff of Nottingham), and an hilarious turn in the brilliant sci-fi spoof Galaxy Quest (with Sigourney Weaver, Tim Allen et al) - not to be missed if you spot it in Radio Times.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                    Yes me too... And of course big with the younger generation as Prof. Severus Snape.

I have a great fondness for the distinctly peevish angel Metatron he played in Kevin Smith's Dogma...

RIP - another great gone aged 69

"...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      ....a hilarious turn in the brilliant sci-fi spoof Galaxy Quest (with Sigourney Weaver, Tim Allen et al) - not to be missed if you spot it in Radio Times.
                      I'm glad someone else mentioned Galaxy Quest - it was on again just before Christmas!
                      Such sad news, what a wonderful voice and presence he had.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                        • Nov 2010

I recently re-watched 'The Barchester Chronicles' and it is simply perfect. If he'd never played another role after Slope he would still be remembered for that.

Wasn't he also the Sheriff of Nottingham opposite Kevin Costner's Robin Hood with the best give of a line any villainous actor could hope to get ... ' and CANCEL Christmas!!!!' ?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility - perhaps he was just a bit too old for the part even then, but he portrayed it with great sensitivity. And could anyone have been a better Severus Snape?

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Also very much in his Element in the Fifth such. What a loss!

Comment

• Tapiola
                              • Jan 2011

My youngsters were very sad today (as I was) to hear of his passing. "Snape's dead!" I agree with EA that no one could have played the part better. In my own vho, easily the most compelling character in the Harry Potter films. An enormous screen presence in everything I saw him in, from Robin Hood to Truly, Madly Deeply.

Comment

Working...
                              X