X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

Bathroom Scales

I know, I know - this is a silly post and has no place in this forum but I recently discovered the answer to something that has been puzzling and irritating me for years.

I've long suspected that my digital bathroom scales often show inaccurate readings and have now found the answer. The last weight measurement is stored in its memory for a limited time (or perhaps even permanently). The next weighing is discarded if it only differs by a certain amount from last time and the previous weight is then shown instead.

Is this how all digital bathroom scales operate and, if so, is this common knowledge?

Now when I want to weigh myself I now first stand on the scales holding a heavy club hammer (to "cancel" the previous measurement) then stand on them again (without the hammer). Performing this curious pantomime seems to give much more accurate readings.
    Last edited by johnb; 12-01-16, 16:15.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... why on earth wd scales 'store' previous weights? Seems a perverse bit of technology.

I don't think our (John Lewis) digital scales do this. In any case my weight varies sufficiently from day to day so that each reading is different. On my current (reduced alcohol intake) diet I seem to be gaining several ounces a day...

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by johnb View Post
      Is this how all digital bathroom scales operate
      Clearly, you paid too much for your scales … :-)

Now when I want to weigh myself I now first stand on the scales holding a heavy club hammer (to "cancel" the previous measurement) then stand on them again (without the hammer). Performing this curious pantomime seems to give much more accurate readings.

My cheapo digital scales (bought from the Coop) stopped working after a short time and on the odd occasion that I think to weigh myself I use an ancient inherited (non-digital) set bought from Boots c 1950.

So can't answer your queries …
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Clearly, you paid too much for your scales … :-)

My cheapo digital scales (bought from the Coop) stopped working after a short time and on the odd occasion that I think to weigh myself I use an ancient inherited (non-digital) set bought from Boots c 1950.

So can't answer your queries …
        Maybe you preferred the Stones!

(Ref. the Overkill thread)

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Maybe you preferred the Stones!

(Ref. the Overkill thread)
          Should point out that my referred to the picture of johnb arming himself with a lump hammer, or sledgehammer, to weigh himself - not laughing at my own joke.

No, always preferred the Beatles - such nice tidy boys. Not sure that I agree that they were the the equals of Schubert as songwriters, though.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Should point out that my referred to the picture of johnb arming himself with a lump hammer, or sledgehammer, to weigh himself - not laughing at my own joke.

No, always preferred the Beatles - such nice tidy boys. Not sure that I agree that they were the the equals of Schubert as songwriters, though.

No I meant Stones, as in Avoirdupois! My poor pun misfired - never mind!

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I can never forgive the Beatles for persuading everyone that they were Liverpool music, rather than the RLPO.

Comment

• Anna

I also bought cheapo digi scales from the Coop two years ago - when I wanted to lose a few pounds but - mission accomplished - I never weigh myself now and rely on the "can I do my jeans up without breathing in too much?" method of guessing if I've put on weight. I think the most accurate scales are meant to be the old fashioned Salter types with large dial they have in surgeries but they're pricey.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  I can never forgive the Beatles for persuading everyone that they were Liverpool music, rather than the RLPO.
                  Whom they could at least have used for the huge orchestral pile-up at the conclusion of "All You Need Is Love"!

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... why on earth wd scales 'store' previous weights? Seems a perverse bit of technology.

I don't think our (John Lewis) digital scales do this. In any case my weight varies sufficiently from day to day so that each reading is different. On my current (reduced alcohol intake) diet I seem to be gaining several ounces a day...
                    That's not surprising. Reducing the alcohol intake just that means that you are weighed down with increasing levels of doom and gloom. Quacks don't tell you that, though.

I weigh myself once a week, same time of day, same conditions, and that seems to work for me.

Comment

• johnb
                      • Mar 2007

I too bought the scales at John Lewis - a fairly cheap special offer.

My understanding is that some scales do this to avoid differences in quick consecutive readings which can be caused by the scales not being on a firm flat base or changes in where your feet are. I would never have thought of it if I hadn't come across something on the web.

Usually I hardly ever use the scales - but just now I need to get rid of some Christmas (and Autumn, etc) excess.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

I too bought the scales at John Lewis - a fairly cheap special offer.

My understanding is that some scales do this to avoid differences in quick consecutive readings which can be caused by the scales not being on a firm flat base or changes in where your feet are. I would never have thought of it if I hadn't come across something on the web.

Usually I hardly ever use the scales - but just now I need to get rid of some Christmas (and Autumn, etc) excess.
                        Major scales are more conducive to that get up and go mindset than minor ones, I've found. As for modes, they're best left to the fashionistas.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Occasionally, I've caught my scales out in rampant lying. I give them a good talking to and the next answer is usually more reasonable.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            Occasionally, I've caught my scales out in rampant lying. I give them a good talking to and the next answer is usually more reasonable.
                            Is that because the scales have fallen from their eyes, or because they're out of scale?

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              For La Scala a good singing to probably works better.

Comment

Working...
                              X