X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    If people want to ventilate about the relative coverage afforded to people in the public eye who have recently died, would they mind starting a separate thread on that subject, rather than using the RIP threads? We had all this on the Lou Reed, David Bowie RIP threads, now it's starting up on the PMD thread. We have established a simple protocol on this, and ff has underlined it on several occasions.
    I believe that this is indeed fair comment although, given that Sir Peter Maxwell Davies has only just died, I would think it woefully premature in any case to sart ventilating about coverage of his passing.

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

What's seriously inappropriate on a RIP thread is complaining that the subject has had too much coverage.

To say they might have had more is a tribute, surely?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Can't believe I wrote all of that about David Bowie.

It's a blimmin' book!

(Sorry to interject)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
          Can't believe I wrote all of that about David Bowie.

It's a blimmin' book!

(Sorry to interject)
          Can't believe I read it all!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
            What's seriously inappropriate on a RIP thread is complaining that the subject has had too much coverage.

To say they might have had more is a tribute, surely?
            I would have taken that view. Sometimes it's necessary to consider the spirit, rather than the letter, of the law.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I would have taken that view. Sometimes it's necessary to consider the spirit, rather than the letter, of the law.
              Yes - but saying that somebody warranted more coverage than they got is a different thing from contrasting such low-key coverage with named others whom the writer considers unworthy of the attention they did receive.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Does that really matter, so long as you don't diss the 'named others' on their own threads?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  Does that really matter, so long as you don't diss the 'named others' on their own threads?
                  For people who admire both people (and who are regretting both losses) I would imagine that it would. The particular examples today demonstrated that it did.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Yes - but saying that somebody warranted more coverage than they got is a different thing from contrasting such low-key coverage with named others whom the writer considers unworthy of the attention they did receive.
                    It is different in that it will (almost certainly) provoke response from someone who wants to take issue with the comparison.

I would take the spirit of the 'rules' as being, first and foremost, consideration for the feelings of the person who started the relevant thread. That's why the Bowie comments were removed from that tribute thread.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      Can't believe I read it all!

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

What I do not understand is that the media seem to have gone potty over this particular death - i.e. Carrie Fisher.
                        Sorry, but can anyone explain why the extent of the coverage?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          What I do not understand is that the media seem to have gone potty over this particular death - i.e. Carrie Fisher.
                          She's an important figure for a lot of people - and even most of those for whom she isn't have heard of her.

Comment

• zola
                            • May 2011

Star Wars is the most successful film franchise ever, that has evolved into almost a cult for its fan base. And she was pretty much the face of that franchise, despite only appearing in a minority of the movies. Added to that her second career as a candid and humorous memoirist and the fact that it is a slow time of year for news, when only natural disasters and notable deaths impinge on reviews of the year, and there we have it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

It's always like this. When a celebrity dies, the news media forgets world-shattering events and jumps on the bandwagon.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

I thought there had been an agreement that "Obituary" Threads such as this should be used or Forumistas to express their sorrow/appreciation of the deceased, rather than to question the validity of the news coverage of the death?

Comment

Working...
                                X