Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Edit: The Whitby Gazette comes up first, with a photograph of a highly representative citizen!
    However, at the end of his letter the 82 year old writes: I hasten to say I found Bowie’s music enjoyable

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      However, at the end of his letter the 82 year old writes: I hasten to say I found Bowie’s music enjoyable

Old, but not crusty!!!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Old, but not crusty!!!
        As they so age is only a number.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Book groups aren't for me. I did try one a couple of times and wasn't interested (or only mildly) in the books that were chosen, so I begrudged the time I'd spent reading them. I haven't read a contemporary novel for several years. Again, this is all just taste.
          Why not? I don't think it can be just a 'question of taste' - what taste can encompass the diversity of contemporary literature? Perhaps what you really mean is that you don't want to engage with contemporary society.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I think that illustrates my point.

Edit: The Whitby Gazette comes up first, with a photograph of a highly representative citizen!
            I don't think it illustrates any point. You can say that the average age of the UK population is c. 38. You can't say "On average, UK citizens are 38" which gives the impression that everyone is more or less 38 and a 38-year-old would be 'representative'.

Citizens range from, let's say, 16 to 90 (give or take at either end). What age is "representative" of the UK citizenry? Oh, yes, people in their 50s and 60s.

And, as Anna's comment suggested, the amount of news coverage has nothing to do with whether the majority "enjoys the music".
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

I wonder how widespread the perception of "overkill" really is.
              It's good but wasn't as commercially successful as Ace of Spades

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                It's good but wasn't as commercially successful as Ace of Spades

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

thought we got the Motorhead gag out of the way some time ago upthread.

only 24 pages to trawl through to check for duplication ......
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Never heard of them

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

I don't think it illustrates any point. You can say that the average age of the UK population is c. 38. You can't say "On average, UK citizens are 38" which gives the impression that everyone is more or less 38 and a 38-year-old would be 'representative'.

Citizens range from, let's say, 16 to 90 (give or take at either end). What age is "representative" of the UK citizenry? Oh, yes, people in their 50s and 60s.

And, as Anna's comment suggested, the amount of news coverage has nothing to do with whether the majority "enjoys the music".
                      I wasn't thinking about age. Over the last few days some on this forum have become obsessed with age and generation.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        Never heard of them
                        I think you must mean " never heard after them".
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

You still niggly coz I dissed your Siècle des Lumières bargain post?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

I wasn't thinking about age.
                            So in what sense were you referring to the letter-writer as 'representative' - the bow tie? In what way would any individual be 'representative'?
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

So in what sense were you referring to the letter-writer as 'representative' - the bow tie? In what way would any individual be 'representative'?
                              If I'm honest, that bow-tie had something to do with it.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

I think you must mean " never heard after them".

I can vouch for that!

Comment

Working...
                                X