• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Overkill

Originally posted by Frances_iom
    I'm surprised that so many (I presume in their mid 50s to 60s) still wish to join in with the mass marketing that is the basis of pop-music (my defn of which is that where more volume means less ability) - I can understand the vox pop channels giving him mega coverage after all it requires much less effort to play a few records than to sensibly discus the mess that both the country and world is in - but the adulation shown here does amaze me.
    When a classical composer/conductor/instrumentalist/singer dies, we don't get any of this OTT inflation from the media and the Prime Minister. We get a respectful appreciation, which is more appropriate, in my opinion.
  • Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    When a classical composer/conductor/instrumentalist/singer dies, we don't get any of this OTT inflation from the media and the Prime Minister. We get a respectful appreciation, which is more appropriate, in my opinion.
    Possibly because the media generally and the PM know very little of whichever classical composer/conductor/instrumentalist/singer in question?

Comment

• AjAjAjH
      • Nov 2010

Overkill

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Could I remind again that tribute threads should be treated as tributes.
      Then where do I. whilst agreeing with much that has been written here, express my concern at the overkill on the radio today particularly on 5 live. The phone-in at 9.30am was about Bowie, 'in depth' at 6.30pm was about him and every time I turned on today it seemed to be all about him. Overkill.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I'm surprised that so many (I presume in their mid 50s to 60s) still wish to join in with the mass marketing that is the basis of pop-music (my defn of which is that where more volume means less ability) - I can understand the vox pop channels giving him mega coverage after all it requires much less effort to play a few records than to sensibly discus the mess that both the country and world is in - but the adulation shown here does amaze me.
        I would not wish to show disrespect for anyone who dies, rich, poor, famous or not. However I'll stick my head above the parapet and say that I'm a bit surprised too.
        For instance the first 15 minutes of R4's PM was devoted solely to him, and this when there is so much going on in the world, not least the famine-relief convoy to Madaya in Syria. I admit the only piece I could knowingly have attributed to Bowie was 'Ground Control to Major Tom' and had always assumed it was a signature tune for an under 11s sci-fi serial. RIP all the same.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Why?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            I would not wish to show disrespect for anyone who dies, rich, poor, famous or not. However I'll stick my head above the parapet and say that I'm a bit surprised too.
            For instance the first 15 minutes of R4's PM was devoted solely to him, and this when there is so much going on in the world, not least the famine-relief convoy to Syria. I admit the only piece I could knowingly have attributed to Bowie was 'Ground Control to Major Tom' and had always assumed it was a signature tune for an under 11s sci-fi serial. RIP all the same.
            A balanced and considered assessment.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
              • Jun 2014

How so very true ...

Mr David Bowie R.I.P

Comment

• AjAjAjH
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
                Then where do I. whilst agreeing with much that has been written here, express my concern at the overkill on the radio today particularly on 5 live. The phone-in at 9.30am was about Bowie, 'in depth' at 6.30pm was about him and every time I turned on today it seemed to be all about him. Overkill.
                To emphasise my point.

Over 15 minutes about David Bowie - the first item.

The people of Syria - many of their children so emaciated by hunger - and the people who have had their appointments cancelled by the junior doctors strike getting just a few minutes.

Then the final announcement - 'over on Newsnight- guess who? David Bowie.'

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
                  To emphasise my point.

Over 15 minutes about David Bowie - the first item.

The people of Syria - many of their children so emaciated by hunger - and the people who have had their appointments cancelled by the junior doctors strike getting just a few minutes.

Then the final announcement - 'over on Newsnight- guess who? David Bowie.'
                  It was the same when John Peel died. Parts of the world were in real turmoil, yet the news was dominated by this one death, simply because he was a celebrity. After a cursory reference to these "other" news items, the final statement was that the main news was the death of John Peel.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Why?
                    My answer has been deleted because it was only relevant to the other thread.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      It was the same when John Peel died. Parts of the world were in real turmoil, yet the news was dominated by this one death, simply because he was a celebrity. After a cursory reference to these "other" news items, the final statement was that the main news was the death of John Peel.
                      I beg to differ. John Peel was not 'simply a celebrity'. You might not have been interested in what John Peel was doing, and therefore missed what the guy was all about.

Remember, we don't all see the world the same way.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Interesting that if there is 'overkill' it is not confined to the British media. All round the world people seem to have found his life and death a matter of great interest -

Les hommages au chanteur défunt ont résonné de New York à Tokyo, en passant par Londres et Berlin.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

For instance the first 15 minutes of R4's PM was devoted solely to him, and this when there is so much going on in the world, not least the famine-relief convoy to Madaya in Syria. I admit the only piece I could knowingly have attributed to Bowie was 'Ground Control to Major Tom' and had always assumed it was a signature tune for an under 11s sci-fi serial. RIP all the same.
                          Hiya ardcarp,

Incredible are the lengths that politicians such as David Cameron go to appear 'men of the people'. There was even a quote from Tony Blair.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            Incredible are the lengths that politicians such as David Cameron go to appear 'men of the people'. There was even a quote from Tony Blair.
                            And from Jeremy Corbyn and also one from the Archbishop of Canterbury. Not to mention from the German Government thanking him for helping to get the Berlin Wall torn down! (Personally I've loved the 24 hours of overkill)

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              My answer has been deleted because it was only relevant to the other thread.
                              ....I see what ya did there.....
                              bong ching

Comment

Working...
                              X