X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

A Turangalîla Fest at the South Bank

There's something of a Turangalîla-Fest going on at the Festival Hall this month, and I hope it might be of interest to mention two events taking place at the South Bank Centre next Saturday (9th January) and the following Saturday (16th January).

Forgive the shameless self-promotion re the first of these as I'm one of the participants along with Gillian Moore and Tom Service - but I hope the thing might appeal to some London-based members of this forum.

1. Messiaen in Depth. 9th January, 12:00-16:00:

2. Turangalîla Symphony, 16th January, 19:30, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel with the Simón Bolivar Orchestra:
  • DublinJimbo
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
    Turangalîla Symphony, 16th January, 19:30, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel with the Simón Bolivar Orchestra:
    http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/wha...C3%ADvar-89623
    I'm delighted that I'll attend the performance by the same forces in Cologne on the 23rd.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
      I'm delighted that I'll attend the performance by the same forces in Cologne on the 23rd.
      Will it be cheaper over there then, DJ? Including flight?

Comment

• DublinJimbo
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Will it be cheaper over there then, DJ? Including flight?
        Yes, I got a good deal for flight and accommodation. It's a long time since I've been to Cologne anyway, and I'll add a visit to the Beethoven House in Bonn while I'm at it.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Wonderful stuff

(which sadly I will miss )

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

There's something of a Turangalîla-Fest going on at the Festival Hall this month, and I hope it might be of interest to mention two events taking place at the South Bank Centre next Saturday (9th January) and the following Saturday (16th January).

Forgive the shameless self-promotion re the first of these as I'm one of the participants along with Gillian Moore and Tom Service - but I hope the thing might appeal to some London-based members of this forum.

1. Messiaen in Depth. 9th January, 12:00-16:00:

2. Turangalîla Symphony, 16th January, 19:30, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel with the Simón Bolivar Orchestra:
            http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/wha...C3%ADvar-89623
            Hiya makropulos,

I heard Turangalîla earlier this season in Manchester. I think once every few years is enough for me. At the Bridgewater Hall I could barely hear the ondes martenot.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Saw this live, many years ago, at the Dome in Brighton, when Rattle conducted the CBSO. quite atmospheric, to say the least!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Saw this live, many years ago, at the Dome in Brighton, when Rattle conducted the CBSO. quite atmospheric, to say the least!
                I love the Turangalîla ... so French, and therefore unashamedly and sublimely vulgar!

Incidentally, on the 14th April at the Barbican, Rattle and the LSO perform a quite different and much shorter Messiaen work, Les Couleurs de la Cité Celeste.

The second-half is Bruckner 8.

A concert programme devised in Heaven itself!

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  Hiya makropulos,

I heard Turangalîla earlier this season in Manchester. I think once every few years is enough for me. At the Bridgewater Hall I could barely hear the ondes martenot.
                  I heard Turangalila in the old Free Trade Hall in Manchester on Feb 21 1978 and had the great good fortune to meet Messiaen and Yvonne Loriod after the performance. Tristan Murail was playing the ondes martenot and I don't recall any problems with hearing it on that occasion.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• makropulos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    I heard Turangalila in the old Free Trade Hall in Manchester on Feb 21 1978 and had the great good fortune to meet Messiaen and Yvonne Loriod after the performance. Tristan Murail was playing the ondes martenot and I don't recall any problems with hearing it on that occasion.
                    Petrushka - we were both there! Messian and Loriod signed my score afterwards

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Petrushka - we were both there! Messian and Loriod signed my score afterwards
                      They both signed my programme and it is also dated in Messiaen's hand. How amazing to think we were both there! If I remember correctly there was a good crowd backstage and all very informal. I was a mere youth of 23 at the time and recall that many there were of a similar age.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

They both signed my programme and it is also dated in Messiaen's hand. How amazing to think we were both there! If I remember correctly there was a good crowd backstage and all very informal. I was a mere youth of 23 at the time and recall that many there were of a similar age.
                        I wonder how many of them had first heard parts of the symphony on John Peel's Radio 1 programme.

Comment

• makropulos
                          • Nov 2010

Yes - I was all of 21 at the time so I was another one of the youthful crowd (it was quite a crush, as you say, and OM/YL were very good natured about it). What a charming coincidence. Were you at Manchester Uni too? (I was there 1974-78).

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                            I love the Turangalîla ... so French, and therefore unashamedly and sublimely vulgar!

Incidentally, on the 14th April at the Barbican, Rattle and the LSO perform a quite different and much shorter Messiaen work, Les Couleurs de la Cité Celeste.

The second-half is Bruckner 8.

A concert programme devised in Heaven itself!
                            Le banquet celeste!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Really miffed that I cannot make it on Saturday afternoon, but I start work a good hour away at 4 pm that day. Mind you, £39 plus booking fee does seem a bit steep to me, anyway.

My first live experience of the work was the Charles Groves Prom, when I also attended the morning rehearsal. Most illuminating that was, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X