X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterthekeys
    • Aug 2014

Northern Lights

I had assumed that there would already be a thread for the "Northern Lights" season - but I've hunted for a while now and couldn't find one. If there is, I'm happy for this to be moved into it.

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm loving it! I just wish it was going on for longer. All this wonderful music which otherwise never gets an airing on R3 (mostly Scandinavian, but they're now featuring some Canadian composers of whom I'd never heard.) For me, the highlight so far was Jon Leifs' "Hekla" on Composer of the Week last week - what a piece! Nineteen percussionists - apparently some members of the orchestra had to wear earplugs.

From my point of view, just one annoying thing - no mention so far of Niels Viggo Bentzon, the "other" great Danish composer (he got up to op664, and his output included 24 symphonies and over 30 piano sonatas. And - at least in my view, based on what I've heard and played - the quality is commensurate with the quantity.) At least I've not heard anything about or by him - if anyone else has, please point me at it.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
    I had assumed that there would already be a thread for the "Northern Lights" season - but I've hunted for a while now and couldn't find one.
    There was - but I started it on Radio 3 Arts because there was quite a literary component too. But as that seems to have been exhausted, we can have another go at the music
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
      From my point of view, just one annoying thing - no mention so far of Niels Viggo Bentzon, the "other" great Danish composer (he got up to op664, and his output included 24 symphonies and over 30 piano sonatas. And - at least in my view, based on what I've heard and played - the quality is commensurate with the quantity.)
      - just from what i've heard/read about Bentzon.

At least I've not heard anything about or by him - if anyone else has, please point me at it.
      Nor me. Hilding Rosenberg deserves more than an airing, too; and Fartein Valen, the individualistic Norwegian atonalist? There's lot of 'em.

Comment

• Don Petter

Let me first say that I am absolutely in support of such offerings as 'Northern Lights' and delighted that so many posters are enjoying the variety of compositions. It is just what R3 should be doing.

However, in this gloomy nadir of the year, I can only record that I have rarely turned off so many depressing items and switched to a more cheerful source on CD. My loss, I'm sure.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post

However, in this gloomy nadir of the year, I can only record that I have rarely turned off so many depressing items and switched to a more cheerful source on CD. My loss, I'm sure.
          Could you elaborate? Was it the music? The presentation? (I stuck with Tom Service splashing through Finland, and the gains were greater than the losses.)

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Could you elaborate? Was it the music? The presentation? (I stuck with Tom Service splashing through Finland, and the gains were greater than the losses.)
            It is a sincere but personal generalisation. Most of our R3 listening tends to be in the car these days. It has not been because of presentation, but either coming into the middle of an unknown work, or hearing an introduction and perhaps not persevereing long enough before losing interest. Not ideal conditions for assimilating new works, it must be said.

I do blame myself, rather than the concept, with just a slight regret that the Nordic seriousness has been made to coincide with the darkest days of winter.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
              just a slight regret that the Nordic seriousness has been made to coincide with the darkest days of winter.
              I always feel that this rather enhances the experience - like funerals when it pelts down with rain.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I always feel that this rather enhances the experience - like funerals when it pelts down with rain.
                There was a huge crash of thunder when we exited the crematorium at my father's funeral. I told someone I was sure it was him getting his own back for all the terrible jazz and modern music I'd subjected him and Mum to in their later lives.

Comment

Working...
                X