X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P. G. Tipps
    • Jun 2014

Mr John Sessions ...

Actor and comedian John Sessions criticises BBC "management culture" as "completely out of hand".

Amen.
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

Yes, but presumably the Salford thing was well under way before the BBC knew that it would be forced to bear the cost of the World Service and of licences for over 75s.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
      Amen from me too Scotty .....

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
        Yes, but presumably the Salford thing was well under way before the BBC knew that it would be forced to bear the cost of the World Service and of licences for over 75s.
        Mark Thompson was the Great White Manager who oversaw the many building projects (including the £1bn revamp of Broadcasting House - and its subsequent 'improvements') as well as the move to Salford.

That said, the media industry is fast-moving and the BBC aims to keep up - in fact lead - in that field. I imagine the 'whingeing lovies' (Sessions's phrase) don't always either benefit from or appreciate that kind of expenditure, and too much of the costcutting is made in their domain - production and performance. And the last two licence fee settlements have been disastrous.

That also said, running the BBC with all its multiple juggling problems is what management is employed to do.

Not being in either production or performance, I have no idea how this has impinged on their broadcast work. But I do see some managers as feeling their job entails 1) spending all the money they have available and 2) channelling most of it into the genres that will please the largest number of people.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

"It makes me very cross because we have to try to do our job under much more pressure than we should have to deal with."
          There are many people in the UK who under pressure, and have insufficient resources, and probably in areas which should be more important than TV production.
          "I don't want to sound like some whinging old luvvie, but the management culture at the BBC has become so pervasive and so money-monopolising that we are all doing these things on ridiculous schedules."
          So are there too many managers at the BBC? I thought that things are slimming down. A frequent complaint in organisations is that there are too many managers, often being paid higher salaries, and not enough people doing the "real" work. That's not seemingly the complaint here, but rather that managers are concentrating on financial matters - which may be what they are paid to do.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
            • Jun 2014

Sessions is complaining about a wasteful 'management culture' alongside damaging cost-cutting at shop-floor level, which is a modern scourge in both the UK private and public sectors, and doesn't only affect the BBC.

Many who work (or have worked) in large corporates will know exactly what he means and have been banging on ad nauseum about much the same thing for years now ...

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
              Sessions is complaining about a wasteful 'management culture' alongside damaging cost-cutting at shop-floor level, which is a modern scourge in both the UK private and public sectors, and doesn't only affect the BBC.

Many who work (or have worked) in large corporates will know exactly what he means and have been banging on ad nauseum about much the same thing for years now ...

Indeed Scotty .....

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

No relation to Roger of that ilk, I understand (and no, I am not here referring to Mr Scruton, as should be obvious)...

Comment

Working...
                X