X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
    Undoubtedly! But most of them have the good sense not to.
    Whilst I accept that, just with rights usually go responsibilties, so freedom of speech is not a licence to open mouths at every turn whether or not invited to do so, were everyone to play the freedom to remain silent card and shut up about IS's terrorist atrocities, might that not make people who live in ostensibly democratic countries where free speech is a fundamental right wonder why such actions are not and must not be spoken of at all?

Whilst I take it that your deprecation is largely of the manner in which AN expressed himself rather than the belief that prompted him to express it publicly, your remarks on the subject might prompt some to wonder if and/or where appropriate lines ought to be drawn.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

So what on earth was the point of saying it?
      Quite simply because, notwithstanding the nature of some of his more purple rhetoric, he was not aiming to address IS but an audience in the Western world where freedom of speech is a much valued fundamental right; if you believe that there was no point in him saying wht he did, would you presume that most other people who listened to it would likewise have considered it to be pointless and, if so, why and on what evidence?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Old fashioned liberalism - correct in every respect - equals rights and responsibilities, the latter inevitably meaning self-restraint. I'm not terribly good at it myself but my rational mind has always been there. I think what he said in a minute or so was better than a phone-in style media in which genuinely I could switch on to check and find that the first two words were "Islamic" and "Terrorists". Uttered by Mary from Ealing. But for goodness sake, let us put these people where they belong, in their diminutive box. I reckon he was ranting at the western hype, not that he knew it. The biggest thing he has to worry about is whether US HMG didn't like it. It's great for them. People forget the Blair Witch Project.

From The "Underground Fringes" of the New Establishment:

Lib Dem - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbcuwRKYInY
        UKIP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BmwrvypU_U
        Con - http://www.rorystewart.co.uk/looking-back-on-iraq/
        Lab - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10517364.html
        Green - https://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2...s-their-ideas/
        SNP/PC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...nd/4483109.stm

Anyhow, that was my 1,000th post this time round!
        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 25-11-15, 19:20.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Undoubtedly! But most of them have the good sense not to.
          Don't understand the 'good sense argument'. If there is something one feels very strongly about and wants to say, 'good sense' doesn't come into it - unless you feel that it puts others at risk. One is free to put one's own life and limb at risk on an issue of principle. Though I do understand that some people would rather not
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
            Mr Neil, for all his many irritations, is widely believed to be 'Scotch'.
            He might drink it but he is in fact Scots or Scottish.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

Isn't she?

Suppose you'll be suggesting that French Frank isn't French next!
              Quoi? Perish the thought!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                Quoi? Perish the thought!
                It wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm from the South of France with Jewish or Muslim heritage. I just haven't found any evidence for any for it yet.

Comment

• usher

My 1947 edition of Fowler quotes the OED thus: "'Scots' is the prevalent form now used by Scotch people." Which amuses this Scot/Scotchman.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                    • Jun 2014

Well at least we can agree on that.

However, whilst Mr Neil might indulge in faux-behaviour, my deliberately-placed single inverted commas were REAL ... a bit like Judge Judy, if you like, ahinton!

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by usher View Post
                      My 1947 edition of Fowler quotes the OED thus: "'Scots' is the prevalent form now used by Scotch people." Which amuses this Scot/Scotchman.
                      As indeed it does me! But let's not "scotch" it entirely, if some people have been led - albeit by someone who supposedly appreciated the shooting of game birds for the genreal public benefit (for what else are "fowlers" otherwise useful?), Hopscotch? Butterscotch? anyone?...

Ronald Stevenson once agreed, in my presence, with the descriptor "Scotchman" in relation to himself but, I'm sure, only because of his due appreciation of the amber nectar...
                      Last edited by ahinton; 26-11-15, 07:49.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                        Well at least we can agree on that.

However, whilst Mr Neil might indulge in faux-behaviour, my deliberately-placed single inverted commas were REAL ... a bit like Judge Judy, if you like, ahinton!
                        Who's she?

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          If there is something one feels very strongly about and wants to say, 'good sense' doesn't come into it...
                          No, unfortunately that's often the case.

But good sense can stop one making a fool of oneself, which isn't such a bad idea, really.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

As indeed it does me! But let's not "scotch" it entirely, if some people have been led - albeit by someone who supposedly appreciated the shooting of game birds for the genreal public benefit (for what else are "fowlers" otherwise useful?), Hopscotch? Butterscotch? anyone?...
                            Magic flutes?

Comment

Working...
                            X