• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
    Like you, I have absolutely no idea what the man believes, Mr Hinton
    Why "like me"? I wrote "I agree that it was somewhat OTT, [but] why do you suppose it to be "faux"? Do you think that he believes the opposite of what he said?" I would not have thought this to imply an assumption on my part that AN was anything less than genuine and sincere in what he expressed, however garrulous his means of doing so were...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      That's not only an old joke but also an unlikely surmise given that this particular PB is self-evidently not French; OK, nor's Franck (as has already been pointed out,) but I imagine that even Mr Neil at full throttle would not have thought that PB is French...

That said, I wonder what the real Pierre Boulez must feel about what happened (assuming that he is well enough to be aware of it)...

Isn't she?

Suppose you'll be suggesting that French Frank isn't French next!

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
        • Jun 2014

Why "like me"? I wrote "I agree that it was somewhat OTT, [but] why do you suppose it to be "faux"? Do you think that he believes the opposite of what he said?" I would not have thought this to imply an assumption on my part that AN was anything less than genuine and sincere in what he expressed, however garrulous his means of doing so were...
        I've already answered your question, so I assume you simply missed it?

'Faux' = artificial, contrived.

Whatever he privately believes, Neil's ranting public contribution was certainly that!

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

I've already answered your question, so I assume you simply missed it?

'Faux' = artificial, contrived.

Whatever he privately believes, Neil's ranting public contribution was certainly that!
          No, I didn't miss it; what you've now revealed is your reason for using the word "faux", i.e. that AN's chosen means of expression was "faux" (artificial, contrived) whilst not necessarily at the same time indicative that he didn't believe what he was saying.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
            Originally posted by jean View Post
            Excruciating.
            Why?
            We already know that these Islamist fundamentalists hold all manifestations of Western culture in total contempt - as they do everyone else's too, witness their destruction of the Afghan Buddhas and the silencing of the musicians of Mali.

All this piece of bombast will achieve is to confirm them in their belief that, actually, they are winning.

(I'm not sure it will even convince the rest of us of what a cultured fellow Neil is.)

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

We already know that these Islamist fundamentalists hold all manifestations of Western culture in total contempt - as they do everyone else's too, witness their destruction of the Afghan Buddhas and the silencing of the musicians of Mali.

All this piece of bombast will achieve is to confirm them in their belief that, actually, they are winning.

(I'm not sure it will even convince the rest of us of what a cultured fellow Neil is.)
              Yes.

As soon as the errors began to be highlighted on this forum, I realised that it had almost certainly not been written by him.

And sadly that raises more questions about the BBC and its ability to work to its earlier standards.

Basic research re Franck etc and - given the Boulez - whatever happened to the Pronunciation Unit?

I still believe that IS as a proportion of the global population is the equivalent to a man and a dog in a crowded public house.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                • Jun 2014

No, I didn't miss it; what you've now revealed is your reason for using the word "faux", i.e. that AN's chosen means of expression was "faux" (artificial, contrived) whilst not necessarily at the same time indicative that he didn't believe what he was saying.
                Yes, that's what I said in my original post by indicating that I (like you) have really no idea what Neil believes. He is simply a TV journalist aiming to gain attention, and his apparent success in that at least cannot be denied.

The whole 'rant' was so obviously scripted by someone else that it sounded horribly and unconvincingly ... well ... 'faux'?

At least it certainly did to me!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Yes, that's what I said in my original post by indicating that I (like you) have really no idea what Neil believes. He is simply a TV journalist aiming to gain attention, and his apparent success in that at least cannot be denied.

The whole 'rant' was so obviously scripted by someone else that it sounded horribly and unconvincingly ... well ... 'faux'?

At least it certainly did to me!
                  Well, it can't have been anyone in the Government or the Senior Civil Service as their mouthpiece is LBC.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Whilst of course I agree with your first paragraph, I don't see the logic of the second even if a degree of "methinks that he protesteth too much" influences a personal reaction to it; how does this rant (and I accept that it sounds like one) confirm in anyone's belief - IS's or anyone else's - that IS is "winning"? IS itself is unlikely to have heard it in any case and will have convinced themselves that they're "winning" irrespective of anything anyonein any case, AN or no AN.

I'm not sure it will even convince the rest of us of what a cultured fellow Neil is
                    Er, no - especially not wiv pranounciashun like 'is, it won't! And why the puzzling emphasis on Saint-Saëns?...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                      • Jun 2014

... Er, no - especially not wiv pranounciashun like 'is, it won't! ...
                      That is clearly an 'Ingerlish' pronunciation and Mr Neil, for all his many irritations, is widely believed to be 'Scotch'.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Many prominent journalists are paid to express their personal opinions, loudly (and often controversially). It's what they do.

AN's major point is what jean said in her first sentence. I daresay he does hold the view, strongly, that what we see is mindless destruction of any culture which isn't that of IS - music, architecture, religion. French culture is close to our own, and if he needed someone to fill in the detail about Boolay and Plonk that doesn't really invalidate what he wanted to say. And saying it is part of the freedom of speech that journalists like him seek to uphold. Those, for me, are the important points.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Whilst of course I agree with your first paragraph, I don't see the logic of the second even if a degree of "methinks that he protesteth too much" influences a personal reaction to it; how does this rant (and I accept that it sounds like one) confirm in anyone's belief - IS's or anyone else's - that IS is "winning"?
                          Their purpose is to destroy what we care about, because they regard it as evil.

How then can they not feel satisfaction when we remind them of just how important these things are to us?

Do you suppose the Puritans stopped to think when someone pointed out to them the beauty of the stained glass they were engaged in smashing?

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            ...And saying it is part of the freedom of speech that journalists like him seek to uphold...
                            Undoubtedly! But most of them have the good sense not to.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Their purpose is to destroy what we care about, because they regard it as evil.

How then can they not feel satisfaction when we remind them of just how important these things are to us?
                              Again, I agree with your first paragraph but, as to your second, as I said, I rather doubt that IS will have heard the rant or that it would have given them any especial satisfaction even if they had because they care not a jot for what anyone else thinks, not only about themselves but about anything else. IS is self-evidently hell bent on the kind of midless destruction of which FF writes, although some of their more extreme members include their own culture in what it seeks to destroy on the grounds that all umanity is flawed, not just Western humanity.

Do you suppose the Puritans stopped to think when someone pointed out to them the beauty of the stained glass they were engaged in smashing?
                              No, I do not - but then IS is similarly unlikely to think about what AN said (if they've heard it) when they carry out their next act of terrorism.

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

No, I do not - but then IS is similarly unlikely to think about what AN said (if they've heard it) when they carry out their next act of terrorism.
                                So what on earth was the point of saying it?

Comment

Working...
                                X