X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anastasius
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    If that were the case, then so, presumably, would all Muslims (including Imams) and Islamic scholars who have come out firmly against the conduct of ISIS as not only inhuman but anti-Islamic, so you'd better tell them all - unless, of course, you accidentally or wilfully misunderstood my reference to "not in the name" as meaning that such conduct is not being carried out in the name of Islam when clearly it is; my point is that it has no business to be carried out in the name of Islam if indeed it is anti-Islamic, as so many have declared it to be.
    Can't you write simpler sentences?
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• greenilex
      • Nov 2010

"Big boy" politicians is the phrase we need to endorse.

The p word has a fair amount to answer for in the mammalian kingdom.

Do birds aka dinosaurs go to war much?

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
        Can't you write simpler sentences?
        Can't you read and understand them when you see them? "Simpler" than what, anyway - and in line with whose definition of "simple"? If it might ease your grasp of the very clear and straightforward statements made in the post that you quote, please feel free to substitute the semi-colon therein with a full stop and then commence the following sentence "My" - and see if that helps you...
        Last edited by ahinton; 25-11-15, 12:03.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
          "Big boy" politicians is the phrase we need to endorse.

The p word has a fair amount to answer for in the mammalian kingdom.

Do birds aka dinosaurs go to war much?

Think the ones that Andrew Neil missed from the list are ordinary Pierre and Camille, notwithstanding that the most popular birth names in France are now inexplicably Nathan and Emma. P and C have contretemps as do any Gavin or Stacey although the latter call such things tiffs. It really takes a hell of a lot of power, elected, to get into a massive "what do we do, what do we do?" conflict with a bunch of people aged 15 with IQs of 75. Well done every "representative" in Britain, France, America etc. You really do perform miracles!

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            A sound rant:

OK César Franck and (arguably) crème brûlée aren't French, but he's otherwise not wrong as far as I can see.
            No, indeed - but Boulaye? Purleese! Yes, of course he's right, for all the odd shortcomings in expression...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

No, indeed - but Boulaye? Purleese! Yes, of course he's right, for all the odd shortcomings in expression...
              Well he was talking in Scotch.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                • Jun 2014

Don't know if it was really the time and place for that sort of well-rehearsed 'rant'...

Was I the only one squirming in my seat at such an unedifying display of faux-emotionalism?

In any case he missed out Messiaen.

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Excruciating.

And not only because of what's omitted, or the peculiar pronunciation.

Comment

• Anastasius
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    Excruciating.

And not only because of what's omitted, or the peculiar pronunciation.
                    Why?
                    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                      Don't know if it was really the time and place for that sort of well-rehearsed 'rant'...

Was I the only one squirming in my seat at such an unedifying display of faux-emotionalism?

In any case he missed out Messiaen.
                      Et Dutilleux! (not to mention Lully, Rameau, Fauré &c.).

But whilst I agree that it was somewhat OTT, why do you suppose it to be "faux"? Do you think that he believes the opposite of what he said?

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        the peculiar pronunciation.
                        ...the most amusing (to me, at least) part of which was (Francis) Plonk!...

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                          Why?
                          I would ask the same question; it was "excruciating" to me only in its sheer OTT-ness and I have little reason to doubt either the sincerity or the veracity of what he said, notwithstanding the relative crudeness of expression. As I think I have already suggested, if the aim of this bunch of thugs is to establish a Caliphate by force in the territory over which it appears to seek total control (i.e. that identified in the term "ISIL"), why would they cause mayhem in cities several thousand kilometres distant therefrom? Its avowed agenda is clearly a global one and there can be no doubt that it is a hate and death cult hell bent of destruction and which operates falsely under the cloak of "Islam"; would anyone seriously suppose that, had its alleged desire to "Islamise" that entire area (some of which is already largely Islamic, after all) been met by compliant co-operation, it would have behaved any differently?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

He might have been confusing Boulez with Patti Boulaye.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                              • Jun 2014

Et Dutilleux! (not to mention Lully, Rameau, Fauré &c.).

But whilst I agree that it was somewhat OTT, why do you suppose it to be "faux"? Do you think that he believes the opposite of what he said?
                              Ah, right on cue the man himself has just appeared on the Parliament Channel!

Like you, I have absolutely no idea what the man believes, Mr Hinton, and in the great scheme of things that is hardly of world-shattering importance.

What I do know is what I saw for myself. A completely unexpected and unwanted OTT piece of 'Daily Mail' style of journalism acted out on the TV screen in the privacy of my very own lounge.

No more, BBC, please!

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                                He might have been confusing Boulez with Patti Boulaye.
                                That's not only an old joke but also an unlikely surmise given that this particular PB is self-evidently not French; OK, nor's Franck (as has already been pointed out,) but I imagine that even Mr Neil at full throttle would not have thought that PB is French...

That said, I wonder what the real Pierre Boulez must feel about what happened (assuming that he is well enough to be aware of it)...

Comment

Working...
                                X