X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Warren Mitchell RIP

Warren Mitchell, best known for playing Alf Garnett in Till Death Us Do Part and In Sickness and in Health, dies aged 89.

Actor known for starring in Till Death Us Do Part and In Sickness and in Health has died after a long illness, says family
    Last edited by subcontrabass; 14-11-15, 13:47.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

So sorry to read of his passing. I only met him once, at a John White concert at the old BMIC venue in Stratford Place. A most charming and affable gent. Very fond memories of his Shylock.
    Last edited by Bryn; 14-11-15, 14:50. Reason: Link added.

Comment

• Tevot
      • Nov 2010

Comment

• subcontrabass
        • Nov 2010

BBC obituary here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27046865

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Good headline: 'Alf Garnett and much more'.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

The film version of 'Till Death...' wasn't up to the standard of the TV series but there is one gloriously funny moment which has Alf Garnett in the outside privy when the air raid siren goes. He hurriedly tears off a sheet of newspaper and finds the next sheet has a picture of Hitler on it. Mitchell's face at this point was unforgettable. It was the only point in the entire otherwise dull film when the cinema audience roared with laughter.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              The film version of 'Till Death...' wasn't up to the standard of the TV series but there is one gloriously funny moment which has Alf Garnett in the outside privy when the air raid siren goes. He hurriedly tears off a sheet of newspaper and finds the next sheet has a picture of Hitler on it. Mitchell's face at this point was unforgettable. It was the only point in the entire otherwise dull film when the cinema audience roared with laughter.
              Unfortunately now it is literally ...death do us part. A great actor RIP Warren.

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

I hope that the BBC summons enough courage to show a Till Death episode as a tribute.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                  I hope that the BBC summons enough courage to show a Till Death episode as a tribute.
                  It would have been a film telerecording back then, and unfortunately many of them were victims of a major cull back in the eighties when a lot of valuable material was lost. I hope this hasn't happened to Till Death, but when clips are shown on nostalgia programmes they are always the same ones, so I'm not hopeful.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                    It would have been a film telerecording back then, and unfortunately many of them were victims of a major cull back in the eighties when a lot of valuable material was lost. I hope this hasn't happened to Till Death, but when clips are shown on nostalgia programmes they are always the same ones, so I'm not hopeful.
                    There are boxed sets of the complete series from 1972 and 1974 available, so I presume complete episodes are available for showing.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

We saw him three times - all memorable. I've just checked the programmes:

the famous 1979 Death of a Salesman at the National was a sellout and we queued for returned tickets
                      1995 Lear at Hackney Empire (a young Toby Jones as his Fool, I note)
                      2004 Arthur Miller again, The Price, Oxford. He was quite frail. We happened to see him being helped down the road before the production, on the very short walk from the Randolph Hotel to the Playhouse.

Comment

Working...
                      X