X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Dress code in continental opera houses?

Are there any opera houses on the mainland continent, e.g France, Germany, Italy which have any kind of formal dress code, or are most now like London, where nowadays almost anything goes except for special gala performance?

What about concert halls? Are they also now generally "liberated"?
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Is it numbers of suitcases you are worrying about, Dave?

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

This could solve the problem

(although the white piping on the lapels is a bit naff)

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I haven't been to the poshest (perhaps) but I've never worn anything special. That usually mean jeans. I've never been refused entry

Now UK golf clubs are a different matter … (and I was only meeting a friend)
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

The only time I consciously dress up is going to the opera. (Which isn't often!) I've been to La Scala a couple of times and the dress code seems to be smart casual. Mink for the ladies is essential!

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... in winter, it's perfectly fine to wear swanky furs in places like Madrid and Warsaw. Not that they are compulsory. At least, not for the men...

Comment

• Once Was 4
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I haven't been to the poshest (perhaps) but I've never worn anything special. That usually mean jeans. I've never been refused entry

Now UK golf clubs are a different matter … (and I was only meeting a friend)
              Hmmm! This reminds me of an incident some 25 years ago. A certain regional opera company made regular visits to a theatre where backstage facilities were non-existent (even 'mixed bathing' in the bandroom - note 'room' not 'rooms'). These were the days when the male members of the orchestra still wore dinner suits - black shirts came later. After numerous complaints that there was not even a coffee machine, various players started using the pass door in the interval to visit the public's (very nicely appointed) refreshment area. This got very crowded and eventually complaints were made to the theatre management by audience members which were passed on to the orchestral manager who tried (but failed) to ban players going front of house.

A certain MU steward reported this in London at a meeting where the MU steward of the Royal Opera House was present. That gentleman (a real veteran even then and still on the go today) asked "how did they know that it was members of the orchestra making the bar overcrowded?" The reply which he got was "by the evening dress". He could not understand this - he was used to the audience being in evening dress as well.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... in winter, it's perfectly fine to wear swanky furs in places like Madrid and Warsaw. Not that they are compulsory. At least, not for the men...
                Which reminds me it'll soon be time fur (sic!) me to dig out my Russian sable scarf. The warmest material I've ever experienced.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Once Was 4 View Post
                  Hmmm! This reminds me of an incident some 25 years ago. A certain regional opera company made regular visits to a theatre where backstage facilities were non-existent (even 'mixed bathing' in the bandroom - note 'room' not 'rooms'). These were the days when the male members of the orchestra still wore dinner suits - black shirts came later. After numerous complaints that there was not even a coffee machine, various players started using the pass door in the interval to visit the public's (very nicely appointed) refreshment area. This got very crowded and eventually complaints were made to the theatre management by audience members which were passed on to the orchestral manager who tried (but failed) to ban players going front of house.

A certain MU steward reported this in London at a meeting where the MU steward of the Royal Opera House was present. That gentleman (a real veteran even then and still on the go today) asked "how did they know that it was members of the orchestra making the bar overcrowded?" The reply which he got was "by the evening dress". He could not understand this - he was used to the audience being in evening dress as well.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Are there any opera houses on the mainland continent, e.g France, Germany, Italy which have any kind of formal dress code, or are most now like London, where nowadays almost anything goes except for special gala performance?

I attend a several houses in German cities. People please themselves these days. Formal wear is not worn. Jacket and tie with smart pants even some in smart jeans are the norm. At the Dresden Semper Opera they don't seem to like men wearing casual jackets. Don't do waht I did once and attend a non-music function in a dinner-suit, I was the only one in that attire and some people thought I was a waiter.
                    Last edited by Stanfordian; 28-10-15, 15:18.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I nearly always wear a suit at concerts, etc. The only consideration then is which bow tie to wear. Numerically, they rival my Alpine Symphony collection.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        I nearly always wear a suit at concerts, etc. The only consideration then is which bow tie to wear. Numerically, they rival my Alpine Symphony collection.
                        Just so long as they are not clip-ons.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Just so long as they are not clip-ons.
                          I shudder at the suggestion.

They're self-tie.

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            Friend of mine dropped in for a chat just now and mentioned that on Saturday the lady usher at NOSPR Concert Hall in Katowice deemed his Parka unacceptable attire and insisted he took it off before letting him in.
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• gradus
                              • Nov 2010

Can't say I've ever bothered much and I've always got in but I've never been to Glyndebourne. At Bayreuth, on the one occasion I went, the audience generally didn't seem to have particularly bothered either.
                              I remember taking my children to the ROH and the woman sitting next to them asked if their footwear was what was known as trainers - it was.
                              What I especially liked about provincial opera performances in Italy is the delightful habit of singing along with the music eg the prelude to Traviata when the first melody appears and throughout during many of the arias.

Comment

Working...
                              X