X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

TalkTalk problem

The current TalkTalk problem could turn out to be serious - http://www.theguardian.com/business/...users-affected
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I transferred from TalkTalk to Sky 3 or so years ago, but a neighbour informs me just now that TalkTalk will still have all my data, so I've no idea if I've been affected unless I check my online banking to see if any unauthorised deductions have been made - which I will now do.

PS - Nothing so far affected.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 23-10-15, 16:51.

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

I'm with TalkTalk. Online banking unaffected so far - but have now changed the password.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Must say that the CEO, Dido Harding, has been most unimpressive in media interviews.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Well, it is a pity that I was with them in the last three years. If you want to be enticed by attractive on the surface glossy commercials; if you fancy staying on the telephone for an hour and more before ultimately being connected to what sounds like a shed on the other side of the world in which there isn't much evidence of English; if you want to spill blood in order to leave their idea of a contract while sturdy silence could appear to be key to a business model for locking you in for eternity, go for it. I don't believe they are the victims of Islamic terrorism, but they might be. I'm more inclined to view it as nature's way. I've not had a worse experience with a company and that includes Scottish Power and Legal and General on whom the Ombudsman and the FSA ruled in my favour. There are ordinary, decent people there with jobs. I feel for them at this time but l am not at all surprised.
          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 24-10-15, 21:18.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Must say that the CEO, Dido Harding, has been most lamentable in media interviews.
            ?

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

I was surprised by the use of the word "ransom" in respect of the demands of of the hackers. I thought it referred to money demanded for the release of a person taken prisoner.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Must say that the CEO, Dido Harding, has been most unimpressive in media interviews.
                Especially when you see her CV ... all that privilege, knowing all the right people, and huge monetary bonuses for 'success'

Whichever way one looks at it, if one is going to get massive rewards when things are going well it'll be interesting to see whether she gets any less after things have taken a horrible turn for the worse?

She, and other CEOs, cannot be held personally responsible for cyber-crime but, by the same token, they are hardly personally responsible for benign market conditions either, especially when 'success' is achieved through takeovers/mergers and hundreds of innocent low-paid workers possibly losing their livelihoods.

Comment

• Anastasius
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                  She, and other CEOs, cannot be held personally responsible for cyber-crime .....
                  But they should be held personally responsible for the data loss since (a) it is the third hacking attempt in recent years and (b) they were warned in September 2014 just how lamentably poor their entire system was, lacking even the very basic form of security, but chose to ignore it.

Having said that I do feel a certain amount of schadenfreude since TalkTalk were always pretty cheap and so to some extent it's the customers fault as well for chasing the cheapest deal. Tough. Next time spend a bit more and go to a better company.
                  Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Apparently if one has ever had an account with TalkTalk and banks online one should be frequently checking ones bank accounts to be sure, I now learn.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                      But they should be held personally responsible for the data loss since (a) it is the third hacking attempt in recent years and (b) they were warned in September 2014 just how lamentably poor their entire system was, lacking even the very basic form of security, but chose to ignore it.
                      Of course, if that is the case she should offer her resignation immediately!

However, the public needs to get a few more hard facts about security arrangements at Talk Talk and whether these differ/ed very much from its competitors.

My point is that if CEOs are rewarded heavily for 'success' when they are largely blessed with good fortune then, logically, they should be punished financially when things turn sour.

In other words, it doesn't seem to matter a scrap whether senior managers succeed or fail they are rewarded in one way or another, even if it's "just" by way of a 'golden handshake'!

Comment

• subcontrabass
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                        to some extent it's the customers fault as well for chasing the cheapest deal. Tough. Next time spend a bit more and go to a better company.
                        What about those customers who ended up with TalkTalk when their custom was simply handed over by another company? This happened to some of us who had ADSL contracts with Virgin until last year.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                          What about those customers who ended up with TalkTalk when their custom was simply handed over by another company? This happened to some of us who had ADSL contracts with Virgin until last year.
                          I think the answer to that is probably
                          "tough" as well
                          we "all know" that more competition will drive up quality don't we?

I think this is what we get if we allow those with an almost religious belief in "free markets" to be in charge of everything.

Why do we have to waste our lives researching which sodding phone company is "better" anyway?
                          All those Haydn symphonies to listen to and vegetable varieties to research.

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                            What about those customers who ended up with TalkTalk when their custom was simply handed over by another company?
                            Yep, happened to me recently when AOL was taken over by TalkTalk who immediately put up their charges. Since I'm paying by DD I am wondering whether changing one's bank account password actually prevents a hacker from emptying one's account. Does anyone know?
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                              Yep, happened to me recently when AOL was taken over by TalkTalk who immediately put up their charges. Since I'm paying by DD I am wondering whether changing one's bank account password actually prevents a hacker from emptying one's account. Does anyone know?
                              I think there are lots of folks with old AOL accounts that they no longer use.
                              I'm assuming Talk Talk took over all of the archive of details so it could mean that anyone who has had an AOL account in the last ????........ years will have their details passed on.

Pile of cack the lot of em

Comment

Working...
                              X