• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Joining in the pool/bath debate, I guess we referred to 'swimming baths' in the immediate post-war era because the places they were housed often used to be (some still were) public BATHS, i.e. somewhere you could go to get a hot bath if you hadn't got one at home.
    Indeed. When I was a little kid, we had no bathroom and the toilet was outside in the garden of the people who lived in the downstairs half of the house. My brother, sister and I used to walk to Hackney baths every week with a towel rolled up under our arm to have a bath.

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      well , in a very rare moment of having the right stuff, at the right time, in 1974 i had an official world cup version of this, at a time when such things were almost unobtainable.
      Yebbut..... I was talking about 1960-1961 - and in those days that was a lifetime.

Comment

• mangerton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Indeed. When I was a little kid, we had no bathroom and the toilet was outside in the garden of the people who lived in the downstairs half of the house. My brother, sister and I used to walk to Hackney baths every week with a towel rolled up under our arm to have a bath.
        [Yorkshireman] You were lucky! We had to bath in mucky puddle, and dry ourselves with gravel.[/Yorkshireman]

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
          [Yorkshireman] You were lucky! We had to bath in mucky puddle, and dry ourselves with gravel.[/Yorkshireman]
          You were lucky
          Muddy puddles were for the posh kids

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by mangerton View Post

Comment

• Gordon
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
              It's the answer to the question why they were ever called baths in the first place; but none of those I went to as a child still had the washing sort of baths attached, and some, like this one, had never had them.

So when did the change happen?
              When I was growing up in a mining and steel making community in N Wales in the 50s the miners came home after their shift on their special bus covered all over in coal dust and my uncle and later my father would then have a wash in a tin bath before the household black range fireplace - no bathroom then - that my aunts and mother would have prepared some time before. In about the mid 50s the pit head provided baths and then they all came home already clean!! It meant they got to the pub a that bit quicker. In 1953 my family were moved from a rented cottage with said range into a council house that had a bathroom!! Dad still didn't use it though.

That gives some idea of when the "baths" may have changed to "pools". As kid in grammar school around 1957-63 we were bussed to the nearest public baths - because the town had no such facility - for a double period for swimming, we can't have been in the pool more than 10 minutes before it was time to get out again. Never did learn to swim.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                • Nov 2010

People often used to call swimming 'bathing', and there were bathing costumes and (before my time) bathing machines.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                  In 1953 my family were moved from a rented cottage with said range into a council house that had a bathroom!! Dad still didn't use it though
                  Lol! Same with my dad! In the late 1970 when we had a three-bedroom house with a bathroom etc, I would still catch my dad having a strip wash in the bloody kitchen at 5.30am before he went to work! We had a lovely bathroom upstairs!!!??

I'd say "what you doin?" He'd say "what's it look like?"

Old habits die hard, as they say.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Has anyone mentoned the Sex Pistols take on this song, with the second line being "Her Fascist Regime"?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      Has anyone mentoned the Sex Pistols take on this song, with the second line being "Her Fascist Regime"?
                      I was going to post a YouTube vid a few days ago, but decided not to lower the tone and antagonise the monarchists on the forum.

Here goes, anyway......... In memory of the late great, Bill "say it again" Grundy

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

In memory of the late great, Bill "say it again" Grundy
                        "You dirty bathtub!"
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Cover versions are sometimes more interesting than originals (or is that "new originals" ? )

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            "You dirty bathtub!"
                            "Walk This Way"

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

"Walk This Way"
                              Alright - I've searched my bathroom, but I can't find where you've hidden the camera.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Alright - I've searched my bathroom, but I can't find where you've hidden the camera.
                                A fortune on your bathroom, but cheapskate your wardrobes and clobber!?

Comment

Working...
                                X